vtec will not engage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vtec will not engage

ok... new vtec sol(282.00)... head rebuild.. new everything... i rewired vtec twice!!! actually more...

followed these instructions...

Pin locations for OBD-1 ECU’s:
    - Vtec solenoid: Pin A4-forget which wire color this is
    - Vtec pressure switch: Pin D6-baby blue wire
    - Vtec pressure switch Grnd-black wire.. i grounded it to three different locations checking to see if that was it.. no go.. i rechecked to make sure i had the pin locations correct and i did..
    the last thing i can think of is the ecu.. MRX chipped this ecu and did a vtec conversion to it as well.. it threw a vtec sol CEL(7) within a few seconds of revving.. also the connections are electrical taped up.. meh.. someone forgot to bring down their soldering gun(not u antoine) lol.. i dont think that would have an effect on it engaging thou..

P.S

- Knock sensor: Pin D3-disabed in uberdata
    - Secondary Intake Solenoid: Pin A17 (Connect Black/Yellow wire on solenoid to switched ignition, the other to pin A17)-run of vacumn..

thanks j00

Praise The Lowered...

bump.......

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

*CELs and LIMP MODE, any number of things can throw you into limp mode and you definatly won't have vtec. most likely if you have a CEL fix that first then worry about VTEC. CEL can be a great indicator as to whats going on, and that light is lit for a reason. even when people say, "i have a CEL but thats a different issue" fix that FIRST, then worry about vtec. many codes that are set have alot to do with why vtec isn't working. and if your car is most definatly not acting right take apart the dash and check that your CEL light is not burnt out. it should light up when you first turn the key on.

*VSS/ SPEEDO if your car loses its speed reference vtec will not engauge. the ecu will see it just as if you were sitting still reving the engine, no vtec

*TACHOMETER i have seen a case where there was a problem with a persons tach, and i don't know where the wiring problem was, but if the ecu doesn't have a tach reference , then how is it going to know when you reach proper rpm.. exactly

*OIL, if you don't have the correct oil presure no vtec: possible causes: dented or damaged oil pan (as members have said before) , not enough oil, or oil is so old and crappy it is thin as water

*VTEC OIL PRESURE switch, The vtec oil presure switch is what feeds back information the the computer to tell it wether or not the opening of the solinoid has alowed high presure oil into the vtec oil gallerys. Once the solinoid opens oil shoud presurize the vtec oil ways pushing the locker pins into place while the oil presure sensor right next to the vtec solinoid feeds back info to the ecu.

*TEMP, the cars coolant temp needs to be at a certian temp for vtec to engage, if any of your temperature sensors are screwed up that is another possibility to look into

*VTEC SOLINOID GASKET/screen, i have heard and seen many cases where a cloged or dirty screen that is part of the vtec soliniod gasket caused vtec to not engage or be intermitant.

*THROTTLE POSITION, if your throwing a code for the TPS being bad or wacky this can also cause intermitant or no engagement, from my expermiments, whether vtec engauges or not is throttle position dependent.
      more info can be found here
      ~~~~~~~

Comment

u can scratch out... the vtec filter screen.. the unit itself is new.. and the only other cel im getting besides (7) is lol (21)=TPS.. funny u mention that.. but heres the kicker.. im using the h23a tb.. since it already had the tps on it(didnt wanna go through calibrating the tps on the h22a tb which wasnt on it yet)...

oil pan is fine
        new oil/oil filter
        temperature is normal.. the plug on the thermostat housing(yellow.. jdm anyway) is not connected due to the green 2 prong plug not reaching it.. do u honestly think this would effect vtec not engaging even thou the temp needle is showing accurately a solid temp.. i believe the one on the thermostat is for the fans?? if so.. car hasnt over-heated yet lol..

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

That could very well be your problem. I know when my car is cold it will only rev to 6500rpm where it'll hit the rev limiter. that also happens when the car isn't moving and or a critical CEL is poping up.
          ~~~~~~~

Comment

bump..........

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

buh... buh bump it itup

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

CEL(7) ---> TPS
                CEL(21) ---> vtec solenoid valve

make sure the TPS is set at .45volts @ closed throttle. with the solenoid valve, i remember using compressed air(small can) and sprayed the vtec valve assembly, solenoid to clean out whatever gunk was in there. no more CELS for
                5.6L V8 32V DOHC
                JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

dude your an ass and you wonder why vtec doesnt kick in and you got two cells I thought you knew better lol dont be cheap make sure its calibrated and be on your way.

Comment

Originally posted by WiKKeDV16
                    ok... new vtec sol(282.00)... head rebuild.. new everything... i rewired vtec twice!!! actually more...

followed these instructions...

Pin locations for OBD-1 ECU’s:
                    - Vtec solenoid: Pin A4-forget which wire color this is
                    - Vtec pressure switch: Pin D6-baby blue wire
                    - Vtec pressure switch Grnd-black wire.. i grounded it to three different locations checking to see if that was it.. no go.. i rechecked to make sure i had the pin locations correct and i did..
                    the last thing i can think of is the ecu.. MRX chipped this ecu and did a vtec conversion to it as well.. it threw a vtec sol CEL(7) within a few seconds of revving.. also the connections are electrical taped up.. meh.. someone forgot to bring down their soldering gun(not u antoine) lol.. i dont think that would have an effect on it engaging thou..

P.S

- Knock sensor: Pin D3-disabed in uberdata
                    - Secondary Intake Solenoid: Pin A17 (Connect Black/Yellow wire on solenoid to switched ignition, the other to pin A17)-run of vacumn..

thanks j00
                    Just Fak it, who needs vtack anyways? j/p

Comment

actually agreed.. the car pulls amazing without vtec.. id definetly get some vtec killer cams in that piece.. its a hybrid.. cough.. but i cant say exactly what yet till the owenr chims in

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

oh serious update.. i extended the wires for the plug thats suppost to reach the thermostat housing... plugged it in.. reset ecu.. still got same codes 7 and 21.. so.. when he gets back into his home town hes gonna have a shop recalibrate the tps... (i dont have a volt meter).. lastly.. i think it may be infact the ecu.. we shall see thou

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

vtec wont kick in with a TPS CEL if im not mistaken.

fix every other problem first, then deal with trying to rewire/test VTEC, vtec is a sensitive system, the littlest problems will make it not engage.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                          Current cars:
                          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cpmike
                            vtec wont kick in with a TPS CEL if im not mistaken.

fix every other problem first, then deal with trying to rewire/test VTEC, vtec is a sensitive system, the littlest problems will make it not engage.
                            like i said.. well have to wait and see till he gets the tps cel worked out.. hopefully thats it...

id still get vtec killer cams..

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

mine does the samething some times if vtec doesnt kick in it revs to 6500 an if there is vtec there is no limit but i got a wack spoon chip an i just turn the car off an turn it back on sometimes i got to do it a couple of times but after that vtec kicks in badass

how you clean the filter???
                              1990 Accord EX
                              JDM 94 H22A

Comment

Working...
                              X