Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Main pulley bolt on an Automatic

Hello all.

As I've posted in other threads. My 92 Coupe was totaled out, so I bought a 91 sedan.

After driving the "new" car less then 100 miles. My timing belt snapped on the highway!

So, I bought a rebuilt head, full gasket kit, and timing belt kit.

I've done the timing belt on my 92 coupe. However I remember having great difficulty removing that main bolt on the crank. My Haynes suggests using a belt to keep the crank from turning. However that didn't work on the coupe. With it I ended up using a prying screwdriver to snag a flywheel bolt, through the timing hole!. I'd prefer NOT to do that again (although it did work).

Any suggestions on how I get that off with less trouble?

Also,.. Is that bolt reverse threaded?? I can't remember.

Thanks

setaline torch and a impact gun...heat bolt cherry red then hit it with the impact gun...should zip right off no problem.

my new turbo build

Comment

Hmm, Sounds great! WAY better then the hassle I had last time.

Issue is, I don't own an oxyacetylene torch.

Could MAP gas do it you think? It runs pretty hot!

Comment

It wont get near as hot acetylene but it may do the job. I know propane wont even melt ice.

Comment

I live in a place where you are not allowed to work on your car. However I had to replaced the tranny in the coupe, in my neighbors driveway. This job MAY be done in my driveway, but it's more likely to be done in the shopping center parking lot where the car died and currently sits. I really don't think it'll be an issue. I'm more worried about the weather.

I still need to know which direction that bolt threads though. Is it normal (right is tight) or is it reversed?

I have a mechanic buddy who told me a trick he used on old Datsun's. You simply set a long breaker bar on the bolt, wedged into the ground (with an extension if needed),.. Then pop the starter which breaks the bolt loose.

For that to work however the direction of the engine turning -vs- the threading of the bolt AND knowing which way the bolt threads go would make all the difference.

So is the bolt normal and looking at the drivers side fender (front of the engine) does the F22 turn clockwise or counter?

Thanks again all! The timing kit comes in tomorrow, then it's time to role!

Comment

Engine = clockwise / counterclockwise???

Crank bolt = Regular (righty tighty) / Reversed (righty wrongy)???

I REALLY don't want to spend an hour tightening this thing. All my Haynes says is "This is the tightest bolt".

thanks again

Comment

Remove spark plugs and valve cover. Put a LONG screw drive over the exhaust valve for cylinder one. Turn till the screw driver drops. Insert rubber hose as much as possible. At least 2 feet of half inch hose.
              Loosen crank bolt. Sorry, but Idk which way it goes.
              MRT
              37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
              30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
              27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
              Originally posted by Tippey764
              I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
              Originally posted by deevergote
              sneaky motherfucker

Comment

To be honest, I'm not sure what your talking about. LOL I have a broken timing belt and assumed smashed valves. Thus a reman head, gasket set, and my GMB timing kit comes today.

Why would I run a hose into a valve?

Mainly at this point I just need to know the direction of the engine and bolt. I'm pretty sure I can get it off once I start (and have the last needed parts). I just don't want to spend to much time tightening a bolt I want to take off.

It also dawned on me that I'll need to find the correct TDC for both the crank AND the head. Might this hose trick do that?? I've done a few replacements, but never a broken one or new one. Where they've offset or were never lined up to begin with.

Again this Haynes says to line it up before removal to ensure TDC. That is about as useful as the section on how to put gas in your car. LOL
                Last edited by Vancefish; 03-03-2011, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vancefish View Post
                  To be honest, I'm not sure what your talking about. LOL I have a broken timing belt and assumed smashed valves. Thus a reman head, gasket set, and my GMB timing kit comes today.

Why would I run a hose into a valve?

Mainly at this point I just need to know the direction of the engine and bolt. I'm pretty sure I can get it off once I start (and have the last needed parts). I just don't want to spend to much time tightening a bolt I want to take off.

It also dawned on me that I'll need to find the correct TDC for both the crank AND the head. Might this hose trick do that??
                  The hose will compress in the cylinder, preventing the engine from turning. Honda make a special tool for this, but it's ~$80.

Do you want a video detailing how it's done?
                  MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

What you need sir is one of these puppies:

That is called a crank pulley tool. I got mine at Napa. It costs about $35 but when I had to take my crank pulley off 4 times it worked like a charm. You attach it to one breaker bar and have it rest on the ground and then get either a lug wrench and a pipe or another breaker bar and break the center nut loose.

You can also find TDC on the head, crank, harmonic balancer and oil pump without having the belt on, but like the manual says, it is best to do it before you take it off; a couple minutes less work lining things up.

Edit: Oh and the bolt threads normally. Right hand rule applies.
                    Last edited by Mike1357; 03-03-2011, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike1357 View Post
                      What you need sir is one of these puppies:

That is called a crank pulley tool. I got mine at Napa. It costs about $35 but when I had to take my crank pulley off 4 times it worked like a charm. You attach it to one breaker bar and have it rest on the ground and then get either a lug wrench and a pipe or another breaker bar and break the center nut loose.
                      ooo, ooo,, I like that thing!

I took a look at my coupe today and did see it turns counterclockwise. I also asked a local Honda shop about the bolt threading. Looks like the old Datsun trick won't work here.

The new head is already centered too. Just need to line up the crank.

Guess I'll pick up a Crank pulley tool tomorrow then!

Thanks!

Comment

Not a problem.

Just keep in mind it will take a lot of force to break that sucker loose.

Comment

My Harbor Freight impact has a 50/50 chance of busting them loose. If i heat them up with a torch, I acheive 50% success on the 50% I couldn't bust aloose.

Comment

Ive never changed the t-belt on this particular car, but why cant you jam up the harmonic balancer, or the flywheel (via starter access point or service access) with a long extension or a large screwdriver to prevent the crank from turning.

Ive done that about 50 times, atleast. Well really you could double that because I used the same procedure to tighten things up as well.

lol.
                            Originally posted by wed3k
                            im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Originally posted by toycar View Post
                              Ive never changed the t-belt on this particular car, but why cant you jam up the harmonic balancer, or the flywheel (via starter access point or service access) with a long extension or a large screwdriver to prevent the crank from turning.

Ive done that about 50 times, atleast. Well really you could double that because I used the same procedure to tighten things up as well.

lol.
                              You run the risk of chipping the flywheel.
                              MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Working...
                              X