Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Timing Belt Tensioner Nut is Gone! (F22A4)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing Belt Tensioner Nut is Gone! (F22A4)

Did my timing belt the other day. My car's been having some odd vibrations lately.

I was letting my car warm up a bit for lunch today at work and I heard a little rattling going on in the engine bay. I shut down and saw that the nut holding timing belt tensioner (the one tightened/loosened to adjust tension) had spun out.

I am hoping that the rattling in there was just the tensioner pulleys bouncing about. It should be because I can't see how the nut could fall back in there.

I can slap a regular nut on there until I can get to the stealership and get the new one.

My question is, is the pulley screwed now? What is the chance that the timing belt pulley tensioning arm has come off the peg (the black one that sits to the block side of the pulley)?

I didn't sit there and pound the motor and shut her down before anything crazy happened...

Help! Need to make it home! I can't live at work!
    Bart: What's your name?
    Jim: Well, my name is Jim, but most people call me... Jim.

wow, thats crazy. i say put a nut on it immediately, if the timing cover was still tight against the block then the pullies and belts (and the tensioner arm) most likely havent walked off. i say put a nut on there immediately, pop the valve cover, and check the timing of the flywheel, to the crank pulley, to the cam gear, make sure everything is still correct. if you are able, it really wouldnt hurt to pull the crank pulley and timing covers off to make sure everything is still good...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

^^^Basically what I was gonna say ^^^

Comment

I am at work but luckily have my tools in the car.

Just checked the motor again, the sprocket for the front balance shaft is cocked and sticking out of the lower belt cover.

This blows.

I did the timing belt service and I bet a nickle I didn't tighten either of those damn nuts. I'm tired of dealing with this damn motor.

Anyway, any suggestions to recover?

Comment

Originally posted by cpmike
          if you are able, it really wouldnt hurt to pull the crank pulley and timing covers off to make sure everything is still good...
          I'm screwed, no way for me to pull the pulley much less the cover. I had my guy at Sears torque the crank bolt down with an air gun last night...

Only thing I could do here is cut the timing belt cover off but driving around without the cover would suck.

Or get a tow.

Either way I'm fukt.

Comment

Hell of a friggin lot whatever it is.

Ok, have a plan here.

I'm going to pull the alt and PS belts, cut the cover off since it's damaged anyway. Take a look and see what's going on. Take the bus home and finish it tomorrow.

If I'm lucky, all the parts are still there and in good shape, all I need is the tensioner nut.

If I'm not, I take it over to Sears and let my guy fix her up and bite the bullet and pay for it.

Either way I refuse to let it go without a fight.

Comment

grey where from in WI??

yeah dont drive with the cover off.....especially in WI in the winter.....that would be bad.....

Comment

I know, whole thing pisses me off. Cover, bolts, etc.

Down here in Milwaukee.

Comment

get it towed to Sears, have them zip off the bolt, and fix it in their parking lot.
                  00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

Working...
                  X