5 speed pedal swap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 speed pedal swap question

I'm doing a 5 speed swap this summer, and today I just took the 5 speed pedals out of a car at the junkyard.

My question is: Am I missing something, or do you have to remove the entire dashboard, steering wheel, and drop the steering column to remove/install the pedals?
    Because that's what I did and it took forever and I thought it was just a little ridiculous. I haven't read anyone's post about a 5 speed swap mentioning removing the whole dash, so that's why I'm confused.
    There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

bump

Comment

I dont think you have to take out the dash, just makes it easier to see when you do. You do have to drop the colum, you can do that with the steering wheel still on. Both time Ive removed pedals I removed the dash. The only reason I saw for removing the dash was for easy access
      NEW PSN
      H22wagon

New project. 95 EG HB H22
      RIP

Comment

to remove the gas/brake pedal assembly, you must drop the steering column.

fortunately, you only need to remove & use the clutch pedal (independant assembly) and the brake pedal ARM ONLY. the rest of the assembly & gas pedal can stay in your car, you just need the skinnier brake pedal itself.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
          to remove the gas/brake pedal assembly, you must drop the steering column.

fortunately, you only need to remove & use the clutch pedal (independant assembly) and the brake pedal ARM ONLY. the rest of the assembly & gas pedal can stay in your car, you just need the skinnier brake pedal itself.
          Shit, so I pulled the gas/brake assembly for no reason. And I'm guessing the clutch pedal assembly can be put in without removing the dash, or dropping the steering column...you've just gotta be crafty with your wrenches?

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
            Shit, so I pulled the gas/brake assembly for no reason. And I'm guessing the clutch pedal assembly can be put in without removing the dash, or dropping the steering column...you've just gotta be crafty with your wrenches?
            precisely! its a bitch getting to that second nut on the master cylinder.

to be honest, the part i have a problem with MOST is actually removing the cotter pin that holds the brake pedal to the plunger... theres NO ROOM!!!! but yeah just bolt in the new clutch pedal assy, and then swap out the brake pedal arm - it should be just the horizontal pivot bolt that its anchored to, the little spring, as well as that cotter pin/bracket. edit: oh yeah, and that big coil spring!!! make sure you pay attention to how it goes back on - sometimes its a little confusing on its orientation for reinstall!

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
            - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
            - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
            Current cars:
            - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
            - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
              precisely! its a bitch getting to that second nut on the master cylinder.

to be honest, the part i have a problem with MOST is actually removing the cotter pin that holds the brake pedal to the plunger... theres NO ROOM!!!! but yeah just bolt in the new clutch pedal assy, and then swap out the brake pedal arm - it should be just the horizontal pivot bolt that its anchored to, the little spring, as well as that cotter pin/bracket. edit: oh yeah, and that big coil spring!!! make sure you pay attention to how it goes back on - sometimes its a little confusing on its orientation for reinstall!
              Thanks Mike, that cleared up all my pedal confusion lol. I know what you mean about that cotter pin. I had the hardest time getting that out.

Comment

You don't have to actually drop the steering column, it is probably just easier if you do. I just maneuvered the hell out of mine.
                The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Damn I pulled a whole 5 speed swap without having to drop the column or remove the dash. You do have to take out the fuse block to make it easier.

Comment

Are you keeping curse control? It's been a while since I did my swap, but I vaguely remember the 5 speed pedal assembly being smaller in whole than the auto. If your ditching the curse control then cut whatever your not using off the brackets, file them down and that will help with installation. Give a bit more room to maneuver.
                    Been a long time. Still alive...

Comment

I don't have cruise control, I have a DX

Comment

hmm, good to know! i'm also collecting parts for my swap.

i wonder who will finish first...
                        My pictures/photos will return soon...

Comment

i removed my brake pedal and clutch pedal w/o removal of the collumn or dash. i think the only thing i moves was the MT CC unit. its a pain in the ass to remove the pedals but it can be done with time and effort..
                          frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

Originally posted by joshnrosen View Post
                            hmm, good to know! i'm also collecting parts for my swap.

i wonder who will finish first...
                            I plan to be done by mid/late july.

Comment

Working...
                            X