Steering wheel doesn't bring itself true

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering wheel doesn't bring itself true

after turning the wheel to any degree, it just stays in that position. What's broken or improperly tightened?

do you mean it wont straighten itself out at all, or is it physically stuck in one position?
    Cars:
    91 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
    98 Accord LX Sedan
    95 Eagle Talon TSI AWD (E3 16G, PTE 780cc, Godspeed FMIC)

Comment

i have the same issue. I thought it was due to my power steering being removed, but maybe not. Hope someone knows about this.

You mean if you make a gradual left turn at a light and let go of the wheel, the steering wheel will not zero back to the center and the car will keep turning left on its own, correct?

Formerly 91AccordExR33
      11.68 @ 127mph
      417whp/375wtq
      Sold: 8/2016

Comment

Have you had a alignment recently? Also check your ball joints, especially tie rod ends.
        -1991 Honda Accord LX H22a-

Comment

I had this with my lowered accord, when I bought a stock one it went right back, also wider tires seem to do this more

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
          where you been, is something wrong?
          i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

isnt that a sign of off toe, or at least some variation of bad alignment?

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
            - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
            - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
            Current cars:
            - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
            - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Bad alignment.
              wat?

Comment

I just got the car aligned last week. And the wheel isn't physically stuck, if I let go of the wheel, the car will continue to turn

Comment

are the wheels wider than stock? and is the car lowered?

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                  where you been, is something wrong?
                  i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

part of the reason this happens is because when you lower a car you change the roll center of the wheel/hub assembly so esentially the wheel wants to roll to one side or the other. Theres a few companies now that are making roll center adjusters which is basically a taller lower ball joint that pushes the steering knuckle back up to the propper height.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
                    member ride thread
                    11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
                    DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
                    People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
                    I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
                    John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

As said before its an alignment issue. I believe its caster. Just because they aligned it doesnt mean they did it right. Some shops will just adjust toe. I suggest you bring it back and ask for a printout.
                      Looking for a CB7!

Comment

Originally posted by BoxMan View Post
                        As said before its an alignment issue. I believe its caster. Just because they aligned it doesnt mean they did it right. Some shops will just adjust toe. I suggest you bring it back and ask for a printout.
                        caster affects the steering wheel returning back to "home"

i dont remember if its postive or negative, but i know one of them is better for it.. also, make sure your strut bearings are turning freely. i had an odyessy that came in for a pull... we did the alignment, test drove it and same thing, we put it on the lift and found the strut bearing sticking and preloading the spring... bad news written all over it... the steering wheel was also off center when it would pull

Comment

well im about to put on a new suspension, so ill be sure they check the caster

Comment

It could be your rack and pinion, my friend had an eg that did that and it turned out his rack and pinion was bad.
                            NEW CB

old Darkcloud : 1990 Accord EX MRT

new
                            DARKCLOUD : 90 ACCORD EX MRT

Comment

Originally posted by DrLove'sKuDang View Post
                              after turning the wheel to any degree, it just stays in that position. What's broken or improperly tightened?
                              i have that same problem also,thinking the rack is going out.

Comment

Working...
                              X