Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awww Man!!! Stupid radiator

ok i didnt go to school this morning because of this:

about 5 days ago my cb starting idling rough and sumtimes cutting off right after i crank it....almost like its running off 3 cylinders...now the radiator keeps shooting coolant out of it and running hot

The overflow keeps filling up and wont stay how its suppose to be ive emptied the over flow 3 times this week, and when the cb runs hot it kinda makes a knocking sound in gear but if i put it in park it stop knocking but it still idles rough??

Please help me cas i have to get back to school...cant be riding tha yellow cheese

why cant you ride the bus?

If there is a real problem you should take the proper time to diagnose and fix it RIGHT the FIRST time.

Now when you emptied the over flow did you ever put more coolant back in?

Have you checked the thermostat???

How about the coolant bypass lines?

It would run rough if was running hot so if it over heated it may have hurt something.

Have you checked for spark? You might be running on 3 cylinders so you need to rule that out.

Did you check the plugs?

Better yet, and CEL's?

and info man need more info on the motor. What shape is it in? Replace anything recently? how many miles are on the motor? lots of variables in all of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatline View Post
      why cant you ride the bus?

If there is a real problem you should take the proper time to diagnose and fix it RIGHT the FIRST time.

Now when you emptied the over flow did you ever put more coolant back in?

Have you checked the thermostat???

How about the coolant bypass lines?

It would run rough if was running hot so if it over heated it may have hurt something.

Have you checked for spark? You might be running on 3 cylinders so you need to rule that out.

Did you check the plugs?

Better yet, and CEL's?

and info man need more info on the motor. What shape is it in? Replace anything recently? how many miles are on the motor? lots of variables in all of this.
      124k miles, replaced ignition coil, i do need to check the spark plugs, i dont stay in my district to ride the bus and yea i filled the overflow to the correct level wen i emptied it...mmmm o and no cel lights thermostat and bypass lines are fine

Comment

Originally posted by H22A91CB7 View Post
        124k miles, replaced ignition coil, i do need to check the spark plugs, i dont stay in my district to ride the bus and yea i filled the overflow to the correct level wen i emptied it...mmmm o and no cel lights thermostat and bypass lines are fine

Filling the over flow might not fill the rad in your case. you might be filling that and just losing more and more coolant in the rad everytime.

Try opening the rad cap when its cold and then filling up the rad. Start the car and let it warm up with the cap off and slowly ad more water/coolant until it fills up. then wait and see if it bubbles and just repeat as much as you can.

You really need to make sure you have no air in you system because that will cause it to over heat. that may be one of you problems solved. and how is the coolant looking? You may also have a clogged rad which would explain the overlflow. thats the only other thing that i can think of for that if the thermostat is fine.

If you have time drain the rad and pull it out. take a hose and hose out the rad from the top and hold it so it put pressure on it and it should come out flowing on the bottom. if it is too slow you have a clog. if not you may just un-clog it in the process. then obviously put i all back together and replace the coolant.

Comment

if it is shooting coolant out of the rad its either 2 things...one the thermostat is stuck closed,causing buildup of pressure and not letting the system flow right...the other and more than likely sounds like u have a blown headgasket
          Lost Motion Inc. Repair and Performance Automotive

Comment

sounds like a headgasket...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
            - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
            - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
            Current cars:
            - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
            - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
              sounds like a headgasket...
              OOOOO..... i didn't know that was a symptom of a head gasket.....

That blows

Comment

or it can be a clogged thermostat not allowing circulation.
                What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

I have seen a radiator cap cause the same symptom. The bottom seal of the cap was old and didn't seal properly causing the overflow tank to get pressurized blowing coolant out therefore overheating the motor, but it was caught in time and wasn't driving when it would get hot.
                  You could have warped the head causing the head gasket to not seal properly
                  -1991 Honda Accord LX H22a-

Comment

if you are mysteriously losing coolant, and have no leaks anywhere, then yeah its most likely leaking into your combustion chamber and burning it off there.

When I used to start my car, for the first 30 sec or so, it would be really ROUGH, as if I was only running on 2 cyl. And then it would clear itself out. I also lost coolant. I had to check and refill about every 2 weeks.

member's ride thread
                    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                    91 Accord SE 176k
                    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                      if you are mysteriously losing coolant, and have no leaks anywhere, then yeah its most likely leaking into your combustion chamber and burning it off there.

When I used to start my car, for the first 30 sec or so, it would be really ROUGH, as if I was only running on 2 cyl. And then it would clear itself out. I also lost coolant. I had to check and refill about every 2 weeks.
                      He said it was all going into the overflow though so we know where it is going.

Comment

clogged thermo....feel the lower rad hose and the top, the top should be super hot while the bottom lower one should be cold, proving no circulation.
                        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

since you said it feels like it is running on three cylinders it is most likely a head gasket.

92ex coupe h22
                          93 240sx with silvia front end (kadet in the works)
                          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1894990

Comment

well dont change things, do a leak down test. instead of keepon changing things.

Retro!

Hater

Comment

Working...
                            X