One thing to all those who keep comparing H22/f22b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing to all those who keep comparing H22/f22b

I had to make this seperate because I didnt want to hijack your threads..

Everyone keeps comparing these two motors like this

F22b AVg 600 + - x amount of $ / plus shipping

H22a Avg 2k + - x amount of $ / plus shipping

WRONG!

H22a 1,200 + - shipping.. you can pick up a p13 for 70-100 dollars now days so im not even gona factor that in.

The tranny alone ads a bundle to the situation. No one said you had to get it, now lets compare the motors alone!

This is how i work it out

F22b = 159 hp 600/159 = 3.77 dollars per hp

H22a = 200 hp 1,200/200 = 6 dollars per hp Remember Whp will vary greatly on all applications.

Now the difference is $600 between the two, for 600 dollars more you get 41 more hp or $14.63 per hp...

If you were to get a decent header It would cost...... The good ones start at $600.... so lets say you get 15whp that is being generous considering you would have to dyno tune and spend more to achieve that..

so 600/15 = 40 dollars per hp...

Tranny doesnt matter, because you would probably be buying an h23/h22 for the f22b anyways... All the bolt ons and maintaince things dont count because you have to do it to both.

Anyways just something fun to poke at. I see the logical choice do you?

Now lets see what everyone else has to say
    H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

if you can afford it, i always recommend the H22 over F22B. while both are better than the F22A, the F22B really isnt as quick or as fun as the H... its like settling for a Prelude Si instead of an Si VTEC

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

I paid $500 for my H22, so I beat the F22B by .51 per HP lol.

Also, fair market value for the F22B is now up around $700-800 in most cases because demand has increased.

On a pure performance basis, the H22 still wins. You may disagree with the power delivery, but it produces more, which equals more acceleration.

Also, the ONLY F22B NA that has almost run with an H22 here that I know if is D112CRZY. His was partially tuned, and the H was not, so that isn't really a fair comparison.

Gearing also plays a big part.

Honestly, I think the M2B4 gears are a little bit oddly placed, but the tranny was worth it for the LSD alone. THAT was worth paying extra for. Especially if you are into more than straight line acceleration.

The other nice thing about the H22, is the aftermarket support. The F22B/H23 has plenty of it too, but not to the extent that the H does. Luckily, places like Bisimoto are changing that though.

The other argument I hear frequently is "they aren't that fast for the money."

But let's say you spend $700 for the F22B, and another couple hundred for miscellaneous things such as tuning, etc.

Unless you do everything yourself, which is entirely possible, then you will be at or exceeding the cost of an H22 while achieving peformance similar to one.

Even if you do everything yourself, you will most likely be pretty close to the cost of the H22, for similar performance.

The problem is that you will be slightly modified, and possibly slightly tuned, while the H22 is sitting pig rich and stock.

So you aren't really stock for stock.

That isn't to say that it is impossible for you to keep up stock for stock. There is such a huge variance in engine condition and driver, that an F22B has every chance of being as fast as an H22, maybe even faster.

Of course, there is a 50% chance the shoe will drop the other way too.

Perhaps greater than 50% since the H22 starts out stronger to begin with.

Really, I don't think you would go wrong either way, nor is one way clearly better than the other.

It all depends on your priorities.

I would also like to make something that has been bothering me lately clear.

I know of 1 (yes 1) actually built H22 on this site, and it is no shame of an engine.
      The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

I paid $900 for half of a CB7 LOL. The f22b came with it. The f22b is a great engine, has a very good power band, and unlike its single cam relatives, actually makes top end power out of the box. BUT, it isnt a fair comparison, to put the f22b beside the h22 and directly compare them. They are different engines.

I'll add more later.

Fuck it. Just read owequitit's post.
        Last edited by Dv8; 04-24-2007, 02:32 AM.

Comment

yeah can't really compare. H22 defenitly faster

I-SR 6

Comment

hell i wish i could afford either
            "This truck is 100% sh*ts and giggles."
            "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson

You're not JDM until you have a car built in ohio with tons of bolt ons from ebay.
            Disregard females, acquire currency
            BUS 62 AIN'T F'ING AROUND!

Comment

ill take my turbo f22a1.
              kthnxbai!
              /thread.
              actually, i know there are lots of reasons to go with those motors, but the fsae are alive and well!
              2010 Taurus SHO - Livernois Goodies
              2002 BMW 330 CI Convertible - HUNK OF JUNK

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit
                Also, the ONLY F22B NA that has almost run with an H22 here that I know if is D112CRZY. His was partially tuned, and the H was not, so that isn't really a fair comparison.

I payed 730 shipped for mine+ 400 ish for the rest of my mods(including my ecu and tuning hardware).

If I had better gearing, I would have def beat that h22. But like you said, it's not fair since he wasn't tuned.

I raced that same H22 against Juans(phatdoughnut's) h22 and his fuckin raped it.

That's how well H22's respond to simple mods.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy

I payed 730 shipped for mine+ 400 ish for the rest of my mods(including my ecu and tuning hardware).

If I had better gearing, I would have def beat that h22. But like you said, it's not fair since he wasn't tuned.

I raced that same H22 against Juans(phatdoughnut's) h22 and his fuckin raped it.

That's how well H22's respond to simple mods.
                  LOL!

I have a few things sitting here that need to be done...LOL!

And yes, a tune is one of the first ones. Might save me some MPG, and it will definitely take care of my diesel soot problem, LOL!

And I agree. Yours is strong, and you seem to be able to drive it which helps.

Not even an H22 can compensate for a bad driver.

Comment

The only reason I got the F22B in my old car was because my F22A blew up. IMO, it makes more sense to either spend $600 and bring your F22A to the F22B's level (H23 IM, MR/OBX header, F22A6 cam, exhaust), or go straight with the H22... all the work of swapping isn't worth it IMO for an F22B... again, I only got mine because of time and money constraints

Originally posted by lordoja
                    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy
                      The only reason I got the F22B in my old car was because my F22A blew up. IMO, it makes more sense to either spend $600 and bring your F22A to the F22B's level (H23 IM, MR/OBX header, F22A6 cam, exhaust), or go straight with the H22... all the work of swapping isn't worth it IMO for an F22B... again, I only got mine because of time and money constraints
                      Yeah but come on! we know why it wasnt worth it to you. You had had some shady ass help who didnt help you finish it. That swap is the easyest in the world!
                      H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

the h22 in my accord is nearly stock with bolt ons, has never run pig rich, least that is not what the emissions people tell me....and it cost me 850 plus shipping and a weekend to put it in.

my other h22 is a money pit, but it is built, and still not yet in the car.

Comment

I am actually really glad that I came across this thread/ I am awaiting my Income tax checks and I plan on spending all of it on the Accord. I'm gonna do paint and rust repair and A new motor. I am still trying to decide on the F22B Or H22. Money for me is very tight and I mean alot more so than some people on here say. I mean I had completly bald tires all winter here in the Northeast because I simply could not Afford them. But anyways I see how cheap the F22B is and it is very enticing because I might have some money left over to fix the hole where my passenger side bumper mount used to be. But then i also see the average price for an H22 with a tranny and how high it is and it turns me off to the whole idea but the horsepower turns me back on to the idea. I also hear about all these people getting their H22's so cheap and wonder where. I also cant decide what is a better idea for the H22, JDM or USDM. Obviously the USDM will be cheaper but possibly have higher mileage. If thats the case I might need to rebuild it first which will cost me what I saved buying it in the first place. So you see the dilemma I am having?
                          Arcadia Green Crew Member #9

Comment

Originally posted by Hondatuner998
                            I am actually really glad that I came across this thread/ I am awaiting my Income tax checks and I plan on spending all of it on the Accord. I'm gonna do paint and rust repair and A new motor. I am still trying to decide on the F22B Or H22. Money for me is very tight and I mean alot more so than some people on here say. I mean I had completly bald tires all winter here in the Northeast because I simply could not Afford them. But anyways I see how cheap the F22B is and it is very enticing because I might have some money left over to fix the hole where my passenger side bumper mount used to be. But then i also see the average price for an H22 with a tranny and how high it is and it turns me off to the whole idea but the horsepower turns me back on to the idea. I also hear about all these people getting their H22's so cheap and wonder where. I also cant decide what is a better idea for the H22, JDM or USDM. Obviously the USDM will be cheaper but possibly have higher mileage. If thats the case I might need to rebuild it first which will cost me what I saved buying it in the first place. So you see the dilemma I am having?
                            If you're pressed for cash... don't blow it on a 16 year old car man. Keep it running and get comfortable. You don't wanna dump cash into it and have the motor die...

Originally posted by lordoja
                            im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by Hondatuner998
                              Rule #1.

Fix the car first.

Rule #2

Once the car is road worthy, THEN focus on upkeep and routine maintenance.

Rule #3

Once you have the first 2 bases covered, THEN you can think about modding

If you don't do it in that order, you will spend more money, won't be able to do things right, and will have a destroyed car at the end.

I see it all the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X