The J30A V6 Swap attempt - questions, comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by i'm the girl

FYI - my thread is about the J30 from the 6th gen, which is a J30A1 and was not offered in a 5-spd until '01

~*~Cass

i thought 6th gen 6cyl were all autos

Comment

i was right ^

Comment

Originally posted by floored
        i was right ^

actually the 6th gen was available in a 5-spd but not until 01 (or maybe 02) and then they switched the design

like i said before - this thread is welcome to stay open as long as it stays relevant - irrelevant and slam/ whore/ flame posts will just be deleted

***EDIT: I changed the title of your thread to make it more appropriate***

i wish I had an 06 so my car didn't have a bubble-butt, however I'm still happy with what I have

...especially since I cream my husband's IS300 on a regular basis

for the misinformed - I own a 2003 Accord EX V6 - 6-speed manual -- the question here is not one of "does it exist"

i have seen 6th gen manuals as well that came stock (2 in memory i have seen), so they have been available for a few years now, it is the 6-spds that are, in general, rather rare

my preliminary measurment when I planned this swap showed the biggest difference was the depth between the edge of the windshield and the firewall, with the AV6 having more space under there -- however for both bays the total depth from radiator to firewall wasn't that much different ( i think it was within 3 inches)

also your hood to ground height, at least at stock height, also isnt that hugely different -- a lot of what makes the newer accords so much bigger is body panels (im not talking about the cabin or trunk, which have been enlarged over time) - so i don't think size will be your biggest stretch to solve
        Last edited by i'm the girl; 06-06-2006, 11:32 PM.

breathing is deadly underwater...

Comment

Originally posted by i'm the girl
          actually the 6th gen was available in a 5-spd but not until 01 (or maybe 02) and then they switched the design

have seen 6th gen manuals as well that came stock (2 in memory i have seen), so they have been available for a few years now, it is the 6-spds that are, in general, rather rare
          yea 4 cyl 5 speed the only 6th gen 6 speed is 6cyl that used cl parts to do a manual swap

Comment

i've always dreamed of a honda v6 in a cb7... I will be watching this thread closely... I want to do this swap at some point, but dont have the funds nor time to pioneer... need a DIY!.
            Seattle Silver crew #5
            Member of the Midwest Car Club.
            ..........2004 accord ex v6 - J30A4.......................... 91 accord ex - JDM H22A -- Long gone...

Comment

Originally posted by floored
              yea 4 cyl 5 speed the only 6th gen 6 speed is 6cyl that used cl parts to do a manual swap
              Correct. There was never a 6th gen V6 Accord with a manual transmission for sale.

Good luck to whoever undertakes this project. 5th gen V6 models are actually stretched from the factory, and are longer than their 4 cyl counterparts to accomodate for the larger block.

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit
                The six speed in the CL, the new Accord and the new TL is pretty much identical. Obviously, the CL and TL versions have the LSD, and the Accord does not, but I do believe they are the same, right down to the gearing.

In just a few years, those trannies will be more widely available because Honda isn't being as stingy with them.

The 6 speed became available in the Accord in 03, but only in the EX V6 coupe. In '06 it became available in the EX V6 coupe and sedan.

I have driven both the 06 sedan and the 06 coupe V6 6-speed and they are terrific cars. I will get a coupe someday....
                (RIP)1993 LX Sedan
                Frost White Crew Member #36

JDM Beating Stick Owner #1
                My (old) Ride

Comment

Ahh damn im tripping I thought the 03 was still a sixth gen. But yea 6th gens had a man trans in 4 cylinder form and autos in 6 cylinder form. But yea good luck with the swap.

The New-ish Ride
                  My old Ride
                  Hear my Vtak!!!
                  MK3 Member #3
                  I piss off people for fun.
                  IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by Prez808
                    Good luck to whoever undertakes this project. 5th gen V6 models are actually stretched from the factory, and are longer than their 4 cyl counterparts to accomodate for the larger block.
                    exactly, but this "small" fact seems to always be overlooked. oh well.
                    -Mark-
                    CB7
                    CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
                    Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by ACC0RD22
                      exactly, but this "small" fact seems to always be overlooked. oh well.
                      it was stretched to give room for air and cooling... the actual block itself will fit in the 4cyl engine bay.

IMO a nice aluminum radiator and a pair of high-output fans will be plenty... mount the fans on the front of the radiator to give extra room in the bay and you should be fine... if a high revving hot running H22 cools fine with a civic half radiator, it wont be an issue....

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                      Current cars:
                      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike]
                        it was stretched to give room for air and cooling... the actual block itself will fit in the 4cyl engine bay.

IMO a nice aluminum radiator and a pair of high-output fans will be plenty... mount the fans on the front of the radiator to give extra room in the bay and you should be fine... if a high revving hot running H22 cools fine with a civic half radiator, it wont be an issue....

I agree with Mike.

The external dimensions of the V6 (especially the J30) are smaller than the F22.

I was curious one day so I measured her engine. Most people assume that because the block is wider, the engine must be bigger, but they neglect to consider the intake manifold and exhaust manifold hanging off the side of the 4 banger. On the V6, the exhaust manifold tuck under the cylinder heads pretty well, and the intake manifold is tucked between the cylinder banks, so the overall size is actually very similar, to a little smaller. We will say they are equal because my measurements were rough.

Honda's are notoriously easy to keep cool, and I think a high flow radiator would be fine. If I recall 2point6 has a stock radiator and doesn't have any trouble at a much elevated power level.

On the 5th Gen V6, there are a couple of things to keep in mind.

The nose was stretched, but only because Honda wanted an extra cooling margin. They said that it would have fit under the nose of a 4 cylinder Accord just fine, but they didn't want to chance it overheating, so they stretched it 27MM (I think that is the number).

Also, the V6 in the 5th gen Accord was a C27 which had a 90 degree V angle. The J series V6 has a 60 degree V angle which is not only better for packaging, it is inherently balanced for a V6 which means they don't need balance shafts to eliminate vibration.
                        The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by i'm_the_girl
                          FYI - my thread is about the J30 from the 6th gen, which is a J30A1 and was not offered in a 5-spd until '01
                          are you sure about that? im thinkin it wasn't available in the 6th gen in manual at all, thats the reason that people who have the j30 dont do auto to manual swaps. the only available transmissions are the acura cl and type-s transmissions..
                          *edit* i got smoked on that one..haha

but to answer the original question, im sure its possible, but it will be beyond tight, and fully custom, and IMHO, not worth it, more power can be found in an h22, and with better top end. but if you want it just for being different, i say go for the j30 with the 6-speed cl type-s tranny.

Comment

Originally posted by mondojackal
                            are you sure about that? im thinkin it wasn't available in the 6th gen in manual at all, thats the reason that people who have the j30 dont do auto to manual swaps. the only available transmissions are the acura cl and type-s transmissions..
                            *edit* i got smoked on that one..haha

but to answer the original question, im sure its possible, but it will be beyond tight, and fully custom, and IMHO, not worth it, more power can be found in an h22, and with better top end. but if you want it just for being different, i say go for the j30 with the 6-speed cl type-s tranny.
                            Torque, torque, torque my friend...

The only issue is weight really. And like I said before, with an adapter the J30 could be mated to a K-series transmission. Swap the motor's guts with the guts of the J35 and rock some Type-S heads and you have a hell of a monster on your hands. 200whp/WTQ no problem.

Originally posted by lordoja
                            im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy
                              Torque, torque, torque my friend...

The only issue is weight really. And like I said before, with an adapter the J30 could be mated to a K-series transmission. Swap the motor's guts with the guts of the J35 and rock some Type-S heads and you have a hell of a monster on your hands. 200whp/WTQ no problem.
                              turbo f22...225wtq no problem...easier and proven and cheaper, plus its lighter and less work. there is no practical advantage, that i see, to putting one of these in a cb7..i know it has 195tq stock, but still h22 cb will still outrun it stock to stock.
                              *edit* not to mention the fact that the more wtq the more wheel-hop problems you have

Comment

thankyou i'm the girl for not closing. this seems to be more of a productive post of a swap that is "a thought"
                                Get'em tough get'em boosted. Start Boosting at a Young Age.

Comment

Working...
                                X