No announcement yet.

What else will I need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

deever... to my knowledge, engines over in japan are scrapped so much earlier not because the car was totalled, but because the emissions is so strict, that it costs way too much to maintain an engine over 40k over there... so ppl sell and ship them here.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

that was a great write up my man! *2 thumbs up*

As I see it, I still have an engine that runs well. The F22A6 I have is claimed to have 140HP and 142TQ...lol. You can whip the CB7 around with it pretty good. I mean...eventhough doing the swap probably wouldn't be too hard because we are capable of doing it's not too nescessary probably. Oh well. Again...very good write up!
      + '93 Accord EX - CB7 - Frost White w/ Dark Blue = teh s0ld (ilikebigbutts)

2006 Cobalt SS - 2004 Monte Carlo SS - 1990 CRX Si

. Snail Squad .

Comment

Thanks.

Sparkle, that's true.. more monitoring is necessary for boost... of course, a good set of guages, and an occasional oil check will take care of that. A little knowledge will go a long way. If you know what to look for problem-wise, you can be safe with a mild turbo setup... Now if you get into the insanely high HP range like I plan to do eventually (500-600... or more) Then you're gonna have more to worry about. More boost=more strain on the engine, that's a given.

cpmike, you're absolutely right about that... I forgot. In Japan, they tend to keep their cars for relatively short periods of time. Minor damage can total a car (mine would've been in a junkyard long ago!) It's far more profitable to sell parts to LDM-crazed Americans than it is to keep them around in Japan. Especially 9-12 year old parts!

JDM CB, if your A6 is in really good shape (pay the $50 or whatever it costs for a compression and leakdown test) then you could probably either buy or build a decent turbo system for about $1500. If you can install it yourself, then you'd be in good shape. Figure, the H22 would cost roughly $1000 more... I've been saying this a lot recently, so bear with me if I'm repeating myself I believe you could pull 200hp on 5 or 6 psi... (if I'm overestimating the boost there, please correct me...) No engine mods would be necessary, ad you'd probably be safe at such low boost. Go higher than that and I would suggest better than a basic engine management system, bigger injectors, stronger internals, etc... all the expensive stuff then needed with the H22... The only good thing about boost is that you can buy a each small part at a time, whereas you would need to buy the entire H22 all at once...

Comment

Will a turbo be good for a daily driven car? Because from my knowledge (which isn't much) a turbo only kicks in after a certain RPM...correct? Now, we live on one big ass hill here in Pennsylvania...so we're always runnin' high on the tach. So the turbo would always be runnin'. Now I would definately run an intercooler anyway. So it probably wouldn't overheat...but it may just die from overuse. But if you're not running too much boost it probably wouldn't be too bad. Dunno. Would I need to do any modification to my front bumper (stock one) to put a front mount on?

And I did a little mock dyno test on my computer of my engine and with low boost, intercooler and a performance exhaust I'll run low 200's.

. Snail Squad .

Comment

The turbo will certainly put more strain on the engine, but not too bad at low boost. Change your oil regularly and don't beat it too much and you'll be safe. The turbo will always run, as it's fueled by exhaust gasses. You won't reach significant boost (or any boost, depending on the size of the turbo) until higher RPM.

The hills shouldn't really matter all that much... you'll just be boosting without going really fast. It'll probably make the hills easier

As for the bumper, I believe you would have to cut some parts that are pretty much invisible from the outside. Of course, if you stay with low boost, you might not even need an intercooler. Most inexpensive cars that come with turbo stock (eclipse... i think, dodge shadow, etc) don't have intercoolers in stock form, and they run about 5-6 psi. Extra cooling is always a good idea though.

Comment

I'll just need to see. I mean I really don't think that boost is all that nescessary just for a daily driver anyway. But that'll be down the road. Because I'm saving for my next project(s). I'm getting my moms Mustang and swapping a 5.0 in there and I wanna do a CRX too. I've always loved those.

. Snail Squad .

Comment

Well i plan on boosting the h22. I will run 5 psi for a couple of weeks before i get sleeves and pistons. I will have hondata in prior to any of these, and i know a reputable shop that can do it.

Comment

Good plan... Just be sure to get proper guages, and check everything over and over... boost creep will rip your stock engine apart in seconds if you somehow manage to get more than 5psi at any time...

And where in NY are you?

Comment

I reside in Long Island but go to college in Brooklyn. I also plan on eventually going all out with my project (~400 hp), but at anygiven time i will have much less psi than it can actually handle.

Comment

Working...
                    X