Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing lugnuts...

I searched. Please don't yell at me!

I know lugnuts are supposed to go on in a cross pattern.

I'm not sure how much to tighten them though. I searched and found lots of stuff about people losing wheels, breaking studs, etc... How much should I tighten my nuts? How much is too much? How do I tell?

lugnuts

have replaced mine a few times all the way around because some jackass at the shop with a air tool just go criss cross and tighten down then go around a gain and give one good grunt to each you should be fine just check again in a day or two to make sure none have gotten loose and you should be good to go
    po crackers need speed too!

Comment

You always tighten the bolts in a cross pattern. The wheel lock nut should always be the first one to come off and the last one to be tightened. Just make it tight, don't jump on the wrench or anything like that. If you have a torque-wrench that would be the best. I believe the torque specs for lugnuts is 80. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the "80".

My CB7 is now ***FOR SALE***

Comment

i check my lug nuts every so often... like before long trips especially... pop off the center caps and just make sure they are tight. but yeah the ppl above me are right, just snug em down.
        Last edited by cp[mike]; 05-26-2005, 01:28 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

The book says 85 to 90 ft lbs...

keep in mind that extensions and lug keys & adapters and whatnot affect the actual tq applied...
          RIP Lifsatrip7

Comment

80 is factory spec but i use 85 ft lbs. use a torque wrench to tighten them. hand tighten the lugs before using the wrench though.

cross pattern
            if you were looking at the wheel:
            1 2
            3 4

tighten order: 1, 4, 2, 3

make sure you have 12x1.5mm lugnuts. nissans use 12x1.25mm and they will strip your studs if you try to use them. i learned this the hard way .
            1cor10:31
            - 92 LX coupe
            - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

Wow, thanks! I didn't expect so much help so quickly!

Comment

i go 85 on mine. but around there is fine.
                tuckin 19's

Comment

and.. a torque wrench tells you how much torque you've applied? I'm a n00b here..

http://www.FLAccords.com

Comment

Originally posted by FDAccord
                    and.. a torque wrench tells you how much torque you've applied? I'm a n00b here..
                    you can set the wrench to do so. it ranges from 25 ft lbs to about over 150 ft lbs depending on the wrench. i even have a small one that reads in inch lbs.
                    1cor10:31
                    - 92 LX coupe
                    - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

wow your stupid idiotic n000b. your such a butt muncher... GoSH. anyh00, tighten in a cross pattern like mikey said. do it as tight as you can with a tire iron and you'll be fine. i bet your the same build as a common animal with horns around here. so i think you'll be just fine.
                      Finally Up and Running. Numbers to Follow. Check my MR

Comment

the proper way to tighten lug nuts is in an "X" pattern, torqued to 80 foot pounds.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=22013
                        cb7tuner.com Cleveland division

Comment

Originally posted by timmy0tool
                          you can set the wrench to do so. it ranges from 25 ft lbs to about over 150 ft lbs depending on the wrench. i even have a small one that reads in inch lbs.
                          How much did the one that reads inch pounds cost you? My torque wrench cost like 100 bucks and it reads from 5-80 foot pounds, so it's maxed out on lug nuts.

Comment

Well damn im rollin with just three lugnuts on one of my tires, no problem yet..

Comment

Originally posted by 90AccordBoi
                              Well damn im rollin with just three lugnuts on one of my tires, no problem yet..
                              3 lugnuts....damn,

Comment

Working...
                              X