slot direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slot direction

first i apologize if this has been covered already. i did search and found nothing.

what is the best direction to face when installing slotted rotors? some have them spinning with the grain and some have them spinning against the grain. i believe they both have their pros and cons but which one is best for let's say autocross? what setup are you running, for those with slotted rotors?

thanks in advance!
    1cor10:31
    - 92 LX coupe
    - 96 EX wagon (sold)

this is how my brembo slotted look like..

with brembo pads and goodridge ss lines
    Beast: Evo X
    Daily: 93 Accord LX Wagon

Comment

I think that brake dust should be vented from the inside to the outside of the rotor... so it can escape from between the rotor and pad. My Powerslot's came with a little "L" and "R" markings on them. I guess it depends which side your caliper is on.... On CB7's the caliper is in the front, other cars have it on the back... some exotics i've seen even have it on top.

This is my front left wheel.

My CB7 is now ***FOR SALE***

Comment

Originally posted by di2accord

if those are brembos then you have them installed incorrectly
        To have loved and lost is better than to have never loved at all #CB7Life

Comment

Originally posted by SoySauceCb7
          if those are brembos then you have them installed incorrectly
          brembos are supposed to go against the grain?! wow i didn't know that!

i see most street setups use "with the grain". i made this topic because i heard the prelude sawblades are supposed to spin against the grain to draw more air into the brakes.
          1cor10:31
          - 92 LX coupe
          - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

you are 100% correct, you see almost 100% of the time it goes with the grain but brembo is not supposed to be that way. this can cause tremendous brake fade ect

Comment

you are 100% correct, you see almost 100% of the time it goes with the grain but brembo is not supposed to be that way. this can cause tremendous brake fade ect
              i was also wondering the same as timmy... where did you read this?

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
              Current cars:
              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

on the 2 BREMBO direction sheets sent with it, we had this argument already and i provided the photorgraphs of the instructions in my PROJECTY RACE cb7 thread a logn time ago

Comment

just beautiful i gotta go switch them now which is extremely a bitch! im gonna end up paying a shop to do this too dammit the worst part is when i got these installed it was the opposite way and me thinking they put it in the wrong way since all of the others ive seen was the way i have it now

Comment

the reason isnt because the slots themselves the reason is because the venting between the rotors does not work when they are installed like the picture up ubove.

Comment

the venting inbetween the rotors is what i am talking about lets see if i can get a pic from the rotors i have lying around. the vents are not straight they are curved woot

Comment

Originally posted by di2accord

if those are brembos then you have them installed
                        incorrectly

Brembo Sport slotted brake rotors are sold in axle pairs and the easiest way to verify correct usage is to install the rotors on the side of the vehicle that results in the end of the slot` nearest the pads first.
                        http://www.brakeworld.com/slotted-rotors.asp

on the 2 BREMBO direction sheets sent with it, we had this argument already and i provided the photorgraphs of the instructions in my PROJECTY RACE cb7 thread a logn time ago

well 3 hours later you ^^^ asked for brembos? well brembos i give you YES FINALLY BRAKES ARE DONE WOAH !!!!! time to eat dinner and enjoy life

pics don't work, and the car was totalled... maybe the brakes were installed incorrectly.

and finally
                        Which direction should the discs rotate?
                        It is a popular misconception that the slots or drillings in a disc determine the direction of rotation. In truth, for an internally vented disc, the geometry of the vanes dictates the direction of rotation. There are three vane types in use:

Straight
                        Pillar vane (comprised of many small posts)
                        Curved vane
                        The first two vane types are non-directional, and can be used on either side of the vehicle. The curved vane disc, however, is directional. A curved vane disc must be installed with the vanes running back from the inside to outside diameters in the direction of rotation. Please see figure. Orienting the disc in the manner creates a centrifugal pump. The rotation of the disc causes air to be pumped from the center of the disc, through the vanes, and out through the outside diameter of the disc. This greatly enhances the disc's ability to dissipate heat.

Additionally, all of Brembo's slotted discs are directional as well, regardless of the vane geometry. The discs should be installed such that the end of the slot nearest the outer edge of the disc contacts the pad first. Please see figure.
                        http://www.buybrakes.com/brembo/faq.html#q28
                        Last edited by uncle_el; 05-26-2005, 06:14 PM.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

This is soysauces rotor looks like the rear one.

H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

i really think you should leave your rotors alone no need to redo them. there fine bro. fizz is right.
                            [deevergote]" It's not the car that makes the ricer... it's the ricer that ruins the car!"

Comment

true im not gonna touch them people have there own opinions im not gonna spend the extra cash that 1 person is gonna say or watever ya know i'll keep it to how everything was b4 and if i do have problems then i'll be the guinea pig for it and accept fault ya know

Comment

Working...
                              X