When installing POLYURETHANE BUSHINGS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When installing POLYURETHANE BUSHINGS

Freeze polyurethane bushings before installing them. This shrinks them and makes them a lot easier to install. They have a lot less give than rubber bushings and can fit quite tight.

Also, When removing stock rubber bushings to replace them with urethane, sometimes you have to reuse the metal shell. Guys like us have been known to try and remove the rubber bushings with everything like steak knives, drills, screwdrivers, picks and half the stuff in the kitchen or garage. Forget all that. Use a small plumber’s torch to heat the outside of the shell evenly. You'll know when you're done by two signs: the rubber will begin to crackle and shoot out from between the bushing and shell in thin little streamers. Take a hammer, hold the bushing over an empty garbage can and whack the bushing hard until it pops out. This is pretty stinky, so you'll want to do this outdoors, or at least open the shop doors wide. The bushing will bounce all over the place and the melted rubber will get into everything it touches including your clothes, interior, everything - this is why I say to do it directly over a garbage can. You know if you have your carpet laid out on the shop floor, it's gonna head there first! If it does get anywhere you don't want, varsol will dissolve the rubber. Also works good to clean up the metal shell before reuse.

Another tip. Try using White Lithium Grease, or just regular grease to help ease them in, both getting the bushing in, and to prevent it from squeaking. You'll want to stay away from WD-40 and PB Blaster as much as possible though, because they both tend to be a bit corrosive.
    Last edited by npor; 11-09-2007, 01:50 PM.

Thanks for the tip. is this something you have tried?

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

Yup. I was helping my dad replace some on the Bronco, and he pulled them out of the freezer. I was just sittin there like wtf , he told me what it was for, I searched a little online, and found nothing but stuff to back it up.

The bushings were also very easy to install, slid right in.
      Last edited by npor; 11-07-2007, 06:56 PM.

Comment

cool freezer trick! ive never thought of that.

too bad i dont have a torch... drilling lots of holes works too, but just giving them to oneoffaccord to do at his work for me is even better lol

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike]

too bad i dont have a torch... drilling lots of holes works too, but just giving them to oneoffaccord to do at his work for me is even better lol
          yes sir mike, but never thought of that...good shit

Comment

Added ya to my blog

http://www.hondahacker.com/hh/?p=20

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike]

propane torch = 8 dollars.
              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

also when installing the polyurethane bushings do not use wd-40 as a lubricant to get them in. i was told that there is some aent in the wd-40 that will start to eat away the urethane. i used pb blaster. freezing is a great idea and it worked for me too
                The CB9 has been reborn into a CB3
                Members Ride - see my cb3 here - DOHC powah
                Check out my JDM F22B swap
                Watch my CB7 video

Comment

sweet info. This will definelty help me come spring time

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
                    propane torch = 8 dollars.
                    lol

Comment

I edited in the information that cb7wagonpl shared.

Cheers!

Comment

God, good luck to ya'll I did my front, I have a hydraulic press and an acetylene torch and it still took probably 10 hours to get in.

Proud owner of the only JJDM full 2.5" catback exhaust!

Comment

Originally posted by npor
                          "Also when installing the polyurethane bushings do not use WD-40 as a lubricant, there is some aent in the WD-40 that will start to eat away the urethane. Try PB Blaster instead." -CB7wagonPL
                          I may be wrong, but I thought that white lithium grease was the best thing to use for polyurethane bushings, and I also thought that PB Blaster was alot more corrosive to plastics than WD-40.
                          "I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think I can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy." --President John F. Kennedy

ASE Master Automotive Technician
                          ASE Master Med/Heavy Truck Technician
                          US Navy Electrician
                          Contact me if you need help on the side.
                          '92 Accord DX (For Sale)
                          '01 Civic LX
                          '00 Tahoe

Greatest Rally Video Ever

Comment

cant you just use anti-seeze as lubricant?

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Comment

Originally posted by drkshdw107
                              I may be wrong, but I thought that white lithium grease was the best thing to use for polyurethane bushings, and I also thought that PB Blaster was alot more corrosive to plastics than WD-40.
                              its more corrosive to rubber/petroleum based materials... not sure bout urethane... stuffs made to stand up against a load of stuff. i think youre correct about the white lithium grease though.

i just use regular grease grease... makes it go in easier, plus is there to keep it from squeaking. i considered using antiseize but i already had a big tub of grease :P

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                              Current cars:
                              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Working...
                              X