quick question about renting spring compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quick question about renting spring compressor

about how much would it cost to rent a spring compressor, say for a weekend?

me and williamsvt rented one for 40 bucks and they gave it back when we brought it back

this was auto zone, advance auto does it too

Comment

Originally posted by 93accordexcoupe
      me and williamsvt rented one for 40 bucks and they gave it back when we brought it back

oh, so they take it as collateral and then give it back once you're finished?

Comment

Originally posted by tanNn2koo
        oh, so they take it as collateral and then give it back once you're finished?
        yeah thats how their "free" tool rentals work...

this is what i bought, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COIL-...26761438QQrdZ1 im guessing the autozone ones you can rent are the same thing? ive never rented one, i would rather just spend the 20 bucks and have it when i need it in the future..

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

if you guys have a harbor freight tools by you they cost $7 dollars there thats what i have
          www.2camcrew.com

Comment

yeah try to buy one their super cheap if you find the right now and youll own it forever,etc.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
            "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
            "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

I dunno bout harbor freight lol there tools arent really top notch but they work...once or twice then they begin to mess up on you. I just rented mine at autozone for 45 dollars and they gave it back to me. Its like 5 day or so rental i think.

The New-ish Ride
              My old Ride
              Hear my Vtak!!!
              MK3 Member #3
              I piss off people for fun.
              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by 93accordexcoupe

However, you must have a credit card/debit card in order for them to rent it to you.

and the shitty part was that i used my debit card, and they wouldn't put it back on my debit card, but rather gave me back 40 bucks in cash..kind of annoying since i was on a trip..and didn't really need the cash in hand.

Trav and I also have a very funny story about spring compressing.
                Audi A4 2.8 Quattro Sport

Comment

yea so we are dumb and we compressed the spring wrong. we had the compressors too far out on the spring. we compressed it and took everything apart. we go to uncompress it and the compressors reach their end of the threads. so we didnt feel like putting it all back together to get it off. we knew we needed another compressor just to compress it enough to pull the other ones off. so we go to auto zone with this compressed spring, all bent and ready to blow. me and ben walk in there with this thing and everyone in that store hit the ground

ill let ben tell everyone what we tried to do at my neighbors house

Comment

Originally posted by jdmkid
                    if you guys have a harbor freight tools by you they cost $7 dollars there thats what i have
                    Harbour Freight is the shit! Alot of tools at discounted prices.
                    1993 Accord LX - Sold
                    93 BMW 525it - SOLD
                    92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
                    2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
                    2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
                    2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
                    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
                    2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

hahaah u don;t neeeeed a spring compressor....i just had one of my friends hold down the spring/strut assembly while i slowly lossened it. i had a box right in front so when all the crap flew off all the pieces wouldn;t be lost. did it for all 4 sides. easy and takes less time then with spring compressor althought it is alil bit more dangerous...only if u put a part of your body in front of it lmao. and yes autozone rents them for cheap and u get money back when it is returned.
                      My members ride thread

Comment

Originally posted by accrdpower
                        hahaah u don;t neeeeed a spring compressor....i just had one of my friends hold down the spring/strut assembly while i slowly lossened it. i had a box right in front so when all the crap flew off all the pieces wouldn;t be lost. did it for all 4 sides. easy and takes less time then with spring compressor althought it is alil bit more dangerous...only if u put a part of your body in front of it lmao. and yes autozone rents them for cheap and u get money back when it is returned.
                        wow

Comment

I'd like to heartily encourage NOT doing this. The father of my best friend once told us about a suspension shop he walked into looking to have a shock replaced. He walks into the shop (this was in the "old days," when people actually could stand in teh shop and not just the little waiting area), and all the mechanics are standing in the middle of the shop staring up. So, he walks over next to them and looks up as well. There was a spring lodged into the ceiling that one of the guys had accidentally released.

Moral: a compressed spring has a lot of stored enery. You don't want one sicking out of your wall, car, or body, so use a spring compressor before this board starts losing members.
                          I swear, eventually I'll run out of things to break.

I guess I was wrong... I broke it all. Died 10/29/06

Comment

since it seems we're sharing stories, heres mine. I was installing a set of springs on a 99 chevy S10 you know the lowrider looking one. so as I was tapping the ball joint to come out. I didn't realize someone tried to do it before me and didn't put the nut back on. so next thing I know theres a compressed spring shooting past my arm and flew 20ft behind me. damn thing almost took my head off. so moral of the story is not to finish other peoples f@ck up jobs! or at least keep your eyes open for mistakes.

added: after the spring shoot out I finished my job using a coleman spring compressor...
                            Last edited by F22A6X; 04-05-2006, 05:07 PM.
                            always out numbered never out gunned..

Comment

I stress this never ever launch a spring out even if its still on the car. I launched my front one off when i was intalling with my strut still hanging by the three bolts on the strut mounts...I basically raped the shit out of my axle and when you let it off you just hear this loud ass pop which coulda been the spring flying and knocking the shit out of my friend and I if not death. So we compressed the next one regardless of that even though it was a bitch to get to. What i would recommend do it right dont launch it its just careless and stupid...your just asking to get yourself hurt.

The New-ish Ride
                              My old Ride
                              Hear my Vtak!!!
                              MK3 Member #3
                              I piss off people for fun.
                              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Working...
                              X