knock in suspension specific to cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

knock in suspension specific to cold

So its cold as fuck in Omaha today. I noticed an odd ball joint type knocking sound, seemed higher like upper ball joint kind of noise. Haven't checked it out yet(today). Anyways this isn't the first time I have heard this noise specifically when its cold. I threw the car up on stands and inspected but didn't really notice anything abnormal or loose.

I don't drive my cb very often, especially when its shitty cold out. I just happen to be in town today and had the itch so I did. Just happens to be shitty cold, just happened to hear this stupid fucking noise again. I had previously replaced the upper ball joints but it honestly seems like thats the issue.

So I guess what Im asking here is do you guys think its possible in the extreme cold to cause these symptoms and show a bad ball joint but then when its warmer the ball joint appears fine?

Thats the only thing that makes any sense to me, and that doesn't really make that much sense. I mean I know shit retracts when cold and expands when hot. Just seems a bit extreme to go from solid to clanky shitty ball joint sound over 30 degrees temp.

So, if its not possible than WTF is the deal here?

What do you guys think?
    Originally posted by wed3k
    im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

What are your anchor bolts torqued down to both on the UCA pivot and in the fender?

Maybe the ball joint but I doubt it...

Some aftermarket UCA's I got had out of tolerance anchors and they would rattle around sometimes. I swapped them out for another known good set on that side and torqued to spec and the noise was gone.

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
      What are your anchor bolts torqued down to both on the UCA pivot and in the fender?

Maybe the ball joint but I doubt it...

Some aftermarket UCA's I got had out of tolerance anchors and they would rattle around sometimes. I swapped them out for another known good set on that side and torqued to spec and the noise was gone.
      Interesting you say that.

They were torqued to 32lbs I think. I'm not 100% sure on that. Do you have a crafty link to what they should be torqued to? Honestly they did seem a bit stiff on the same side the sound is coming from. When I popped the knuckle off to re-work lower ball joints and wheel bearings the control arm sorta lifted up after the knuckle was loose. Like it was pre-loaded or something. When I re-installed the knuckle it felt like I had to pull down on them a bit to get the ball joint in the knuckle.

Damn it bill you might be on to something here!!

Thanks man
      im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

They should have some preload on them, but excessive preload can be bad too.
        Last edited by wildBill83; 12-10-2012, 10:45 AM.

Comment

You the man bill!

Seems like you have a cache of these diagrams, is it true? If so, whats the chances of emailing them to me?

Comment

Originally posted by toycar View Post
            You the man bill!

Seems like you have a cache of these diagrams, is it true? If so, whats the chances of emailing them to me?
            I've pulled diagrams with the entire suspension torque specs from Autozone before.
            I can't seem to find them online. When I did it I just printed them while I was at work.
            MRT
            37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
            30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
            27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
            Originally posted by Tippey764
            I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
            Originally posted by deevergote
            sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post
              I've pulled diagrams with the entire suspension torque specs from Autozone before.
              I can't seem to find them online. When I did it I just printed them while I was at work.
              Autozone eh?

Sweet, thanks!!

Bill-You were right.

Jacked up car, unbolted anchor bolts to bushings, re-torqued and viola! I did notice on the drivers side, which is where the issue was, it was like the damn thing was pre-loaded or sprung. It was tight enough that the tension was sorta pushing the UCA up. Pull it down, and it would go right back up when I let it go. I actually think this may have been playing a role in my steering debacle too.

Thanks man

Comment

If anyone is replacing the UCA's, you should read this. I replaced one and the flange nut where the specs are on the left side of the drawing was loose. When i initially installed it, it seemed right so i didn't think to check the torque on it. After a bit of driving, it started making noise, and i found the nut was coming loose! I do not have a manual in front of me, so i dont have the official installation instructions in front of me. After my experience, i strongly recommend it. Five or ten minutes (or even two hours) of research is well worth it on any suspension, braking, steering repairs.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=178069

Comment

Originally posted by toycar View Post
                  So its cold as fuck in Omaha today. I just happen to be in town today and had the itch so I did.
                  You live near Omaha then? I live in the city off of the interstate.

I think I'm having this same issue, actually. I replace both UCAs, my struts, and one LBJ. One UCA is OE from AutoZone (cheapest w/ lifetime warranty), and the other from O'Reilly (again, cheapest w/ lifetime warranty). What were yours?

Finally, I think you are supposed to pre-load the UCAs when you tighten the busing bolts/nuts. ETCG says to do it with the car on the ground, meaning fully loaded. I think I had to cheat and do it half-way because of clearance, even with the wheel off and using the jack on the LCA.

Comment

Originally posted by reklipz View Post
                    You live near Omaha then? I live in the city off of the interstate.

I think I'm having this same issue, actually. I replace both UCAs, my struts, and one LBJ. One UCA is OE from AutoZone (cheapest w/ lifetime warranty), and the other from O'Reilly (again, cheapest w/ lifetime warranty). What were yours?

Finally, I think you are supposed to pre-load the UCAs when you tighten the busing bolts/nuts. ETCG says to do it with the car on the ground, meaning fully loaded. I think I had to cheat and do it half-way because of clearance, even with the wheel off and using the jack on the LCA.
                    Yup, I live in Omaha.

I measured ground clearance on the LCA with the car on the ground, then lifted at the knuckle with a jack to get the arm that high off the ground(at the ball joint specifically) while keeping the chassis at normal ride height with a seperate jack.

Then I torqued and it appears to be fine.

I used Moog for everything when I rebuilt the front end. I did have some stuff that was in Moog packaging but was actually repackaged "National" brand stuff. I called and bitched about it and they confirmed it was their product. Wheel bearings specifically that have since been replaced again.

Comment

Working...
                    X