Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pls help diagnose "clunk" when turning

Can anyone please help diagnose this?

When turning to the left I hear "clunks". It's as if something is loose and when I turn the wheel it holds until the tension it too great, then gives with a "clunk." It's not the "click" you get from a bad axle joint.

If the car is stationary or moving at slow speeds I'll hear 3-5 clunks as I turn to wheel lock. At high speeds I don't hear anything, probably cuz I can't turn that hard at 60mph.

The noise has gotten louder and more frequent in the past month.

I've got maybe 3000 miles on the new struts and springs and maybe 5000 on all the front and rear Energy Suspension bushings I installed. Probably less than 2000 miles on each drive axle, 1000 on the driver's lower ball joint and 1000 on the big brakes I installed. So none of the components are old and nothing has been recently installed.

I've put it up on jacks and found no movement in the wheels if I try to wiggle them at 3 & 9 o'clock and again at 12 & 6. I didn't see anything that looked loose or broken. There was oil leaking on and around the steering rack but I think it's from the passenger axle seal since I'm not losing any power steering fluid.

When up on racks, if I grab a wheel and turn it in or out the power steering rack sounds "squishy" like air / fluid is being forced somewhere - not sure if that's normal or not.

Anyone have ideas of what to check next or specific procedures I can run?
    90 Accord Ex, F22A4. Slight fire damage.

Axles might be faulty

Comment

You're saying this might be the begining sound a faulty axle makes, before progresses to the clicking?

My next step at diagnosing this is to jack up one side of the front, leave the other tire on the ground supporting that side of the car. See if I get noise when turning the wheel.
      If so, maybe I've isolated the sound to components on the weight-bearing side of the car and removed the shared components from the equation (????).

Comment

3-5 clunks as u turn the steering wheel... u mean it clunks as the wheels turn, or it clunks as it rolls? if while rolling, it is very possible the axle(s) are bad again - and they dont always sound the same. do u feel these clunks thru the steering wheel, or just audibly?

squishing fluid is normal. when was your last alignment?

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Bushings maybe?

1992 Accord EX Coupe >http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...00#post3060200
          Originally posted by keepinitclean
          I give it 2 weeks before you sell it.

Comment

Maybe a dislocated axel. [maybe the axel shaft was pulled from the cup/knucle and looks normal but movement is restricted at angle]

Just a thought. it happen to me but i caught it before final bolt up.

"Good judgement comes from experience,
            alot of that comes from bad judgment"

Comment

Clunks happen when car is stationary.
              Don't feel them through the wheel, just hear them.

Been running on the axles for a while with no problems. In fact, all the components are fairly new, the clunks started a while after I'd done any work to the front end and started very mildly (just an occasional "click" instead of of the 3-5 clunks.)

Not sure of my last alignment but it was 6ish months ago and haven't done any work to it or bumped into it since.

Comment

By bushings do you mean hub/wheel bearings, not the rubber bushings? All my rubber suspension bushings are new.

Comment

Yea i ment the rubber ones. hmm also I just now remembered. Do you have play on your steering?? One of my other accords my rack and pinion was loose and made a nasty clunking noise like your describing.

1992 Accord EX Coupe >http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...00#post3060200
                  Originally posted by keepinitclean
                  I give it 2 weeks before you sell it.

Comment

Originally posted by H.M. View Post
                    Clunks happen when car is stationary.
                    Don't feel them through the wheel, just hear them.
                    get someone else to turn the wheel while you look around the suspension points, find it while it is still a minor problem.
                    1990 accord Honda-Challenge, H22 powered
                    newer race video,older race videos
                    1991 accord parked, parts and back up shell
                    1993 accord acquired 6-11-16

Comment

My car have a similar problem, when turn to the left, the wheel locks normal, but when turn to the right completely, seems like have no lock or the tire stops with the fender, that's when you're parking or turning while the car is moving. Recently, I changed the rack and pinion and other parts on it. Still checking what it is.

Comment

Is it a clunk dunk sound or a clunk spring dong sound?

You said when the car is sitting still and you turn the wheel it does it?
                        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
                          Is it a clunk dunk sound or a clunk spring dong sound?

You said when the car is sitting still and you turn the wheel it does it?
                          It sounds always while the car is moving with the steering wheel turned all the way to the right (not to the left). It holds the car movement and makes a clunk dunk sound, I guess.
                          Last edited by PROBLEMATIC; 06-11-2011, 06:29 PM.

Comment

So when its not moving its fine?

How about make the sound happen then accelerate. Does the popping get faster?
                            What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

how old are your tie rods? (inner and outer)
                              _

Comment

Working...
                              X