Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear toe can’t be aligned further. Fix for this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear toe can’t be aligned further. Fix for this?

I installed Megan adjustable upper control arms in the rear and after had my rear camber and toe adjusted within spec. I then replaced all the bushing in my rear lower control arms (2 bushings per arm, 2 arms on each side). Took the car in for re-alignment.

Results were:
    Left Rear Camber: -0.7 degrees (specified range -1.0 to 0.0)
    Left Rear Toe: -0.16 degrees (specified range 0.00 to 0.16)

Right Rear Camber: -1.2 degrees (specified range -1.0 to 0.0)
    Right Rear Toe: 0.08 degrees (specified range 0.00 to 0.16)

The alignment tech says he can’t move the left rear toe anymore. He says the bolt is already at its limit of travel.

1) Does the adjustable camber in the upper control arms give you anymore play in the toe that the tech overlooked?

2) I’ve heard that if you can’t adjust toe on one side you can compensate on the other to get your total toe within spec. True? My total toe is currently -0.08 degrees (specified range 0.00 to 0.32)

3) Should I pull and reinstall the left toe adjustment bolt. Could I have installed the bolt wrong? Can I shim the bolt in anyway?

4) Any other way I can fix my rear toe?

On my last alignment (7/17/10) with the old bushings but everything else the same, the rear adjusted perfectly.

Left Rear Camber: -0.5 degrees (specified range -1.0 to 0.0)
    Left Rear Toe: 0.06 degrees (specified range 0.00 to 0.16)

Right Rear Camber: -0.8 degrees (specified range -1.0 to 0.0)
    Right Rear Toe: 0.09 degrees (specified range 0.00 to 0.16)
    90 Accord Ex, F22A4. Slight fire damage.

Dont worry about it, it's close enough that you will never know anything while driving. Also your tires wont wear because of it.

Comment

If it's a big deal for you, megan sells a lower arm for toe adjustment. Also, check the bushin in the lower arm to make sure there was proper alignment when installed....

Comment

something is probably bent.
        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

ur best bet is to get the Megan racing lower control arms. its alot easier to replace these and it has the adjustment that is way better than factory

Comment

I had this properly adjusted before I installed the new bushings in the control arms.

I don't think I could have damaged the control arms replacing the bushings - I didn't really have to force anything in or out of place.

Maybe I'll remove the lower arms, check for anything weird and reinstall.

Does being able to adjust the camber affect the toe? (Might be stupid question but I don't really understand all the geometry involved)

Comment

camber does effect toe

Comment

Originally posted by oneoffaccord View Post
                camber does effect toe
                +1

My rear toe was wayyyy out then i turned it in and saw it wont go anymore because of how the camber is.
                Last edited by '93CB7Ex; 11-23-2010, 02:26 AM.
                COUPE K24

Comment

Originally posted by '93CB7Ex View Post
                  +1

My rear toe was wayyyy out then i turned it in and saw it wont go anymore because of how the camber.
                  so now its time to get megan racing rear toe arms .

Comment

maybe washer trick the right rear for camber :]

Comment

Originally posted by ATS666 View Post
                      Dont worry about it, it's close enough that you will never know anything while driving. Also your tires wont wear because of it.
                      close enough? how many alignments have you done? Sure it is not excessive but that is not "close enough". it will cause a pull even at that amount
                      ____

Comment

So ....
                        Since I have adjustable upper control arms in the rear and....
                        Since the tech didn't adjust them (assuming this since he gave me the car back with the camber out of spec on the right rear....

can I go back and tell them that using the camber adjustment AND the toe adjustment together will most likely allow them to set both camber and toe within spec?

I really need someone who understands alignments to tell me if this theory is correct. I need to make sure I understand how this works well enough before I go in and tell the alignment guys how to do their job.

Comment

was he personally informed of the new upper camber kit, and how to adjust it? if it wasnt the same tech, he may not have known to look for it.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                          Current cars:
                          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

No, I didn't say anything to him about the adjustable camber.

It's my fourth time to the same place and I just assumed he'd see it and know what to do. It's bright pink!

Maybe I assumed too much.

So I can DEFINITELY tell them that they can use the adjustable camber upper control arm to get more adjustability in the toe?

Anyone disagree?

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
                              close enough? how many alignments have you done? Sure it is not excessive but that is not "close enough". it will cause a pull even at that amount
                              I've done atleast 500 (low side since I do around 100 ayear and been at the shop for 6-7 years)
                              I've aligned everything from shit boxes up to vipers. Stock to custom suspensions (roundy round cars, dedicated auto-x cars, drag cars, bagged, hydraulics, trucks with 8" lifts and giant tires and trucks with 6" drops).

How many alignments have you done?

Straight as an arrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X