Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Horsepower vs Torque F22 vs H22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horsepower vs Torque F22 vs H22

“You know, a lot of people buy horsepower, when what they really want is torque,” Hubbard told me. “Torque is what gets you to the speed you want quickly; horsepower is what keeps you there.”

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...ower-vs-Torque

I was reading the H22 has 161 lb·ft while the f22a has 142 lb·ft of torque.

If what this article is saying is true, why should we swap H22's in our cars if they only give us 20 more ft lbs of torque? Torque is what makes acceleration and isn't that what we want? Not like our speed limiters will let us go fast.

And why does the H22 have so much lower torque that it compares to the F22? Its like the F22 has more torque per horses while the H22 has less, considerably less torque per horsepower. I thought the H22, because of its bigger pistons and compression ratio, would have much more torque than that.

What gives?
    “Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.”
    ― Jeremy Clarkson

Very first tear down and rebuild. vvv
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755"]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755"]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755

Current Build, F23 block F22b dohc head:

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=203144

Have you driven an H22 powered Accord or prelude? There is quite a difference, if you're on the fence about a swap I suggest a test drive.
    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Don't know if it applies here, but the higher you rev, the less torque you have.
      MRT
      37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
      30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
      27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
      Originally posted by Tippey764
      I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
      Originally posted by deevergote
      sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
        Have you driven an H22 powered Accord or prelude? There is quite a difference, if you're on the fence about a swap I suggest a test drive.
        Yeah I am on the fence if you noticed from the swap section. Its just strange how the H has lower torque per horses and the F has more. I would like to know why such a big difference.

As for the swap I think I shouldn't get it yet, I just rebuilt my F22a and its running very strong. Its powerful even with the Pt3 ecu. An auto wagon it is but its still fun to play with it on occation. So there's no point in buying an engine I may never use. I just was really tempted to get this H22 on ebay cause it was so cheap and came with the transmission.

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post
        Don't know if it applies here, but the higher you rev, the less torque you have.
        Really? But I thought shear numbers are what matters. The numbers don't lie. The JDM H22a has 161 lb·ft while the F22a(6) has 142 lb·ft of torque. But the F22a(6) has only 140 horsepower. More torque than horsepower. The H22 has almost 40 less torque than horsepower.

I went through the same thing with people pushing me to get an H22A. In the end it didn't make sense. My Accord is my DD, and runs great, engine is in perfect health. It didn't make sense to pay the money and spend the time to swap out one good engine for another. That's assuming the H22A is in good running condition.

So I kept my engine, and upgraded it a bit. Still running strong with 242k miles, engine and trans have never been separated.

No I have not. Have you driven a freshly rebuilt F22a that has oversize pistons and 200 psi cylinder compression? That's what mine has.
        Last edited by Jarrett; 02-22-2013, 08:42 AM.
        1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Mishakol129
          Really? But I thought shear numbers are what matters. The numbers don't lie. The JDM H22a has 161 lb·ft while the F22a(6) has 142 lb·ft of torque. But the F22a(6) has only 140 horsepower. More torque than horsepower. The H22 has almost 40 less torque than horsepower.
          Torque helps calculate hp. The higher you rev, the less torque you get.
          The H22 has a higher redline then the F22.
          Other factors aside, it makes less torque at those high revs.
          (That's excluding VTEC, Higher compression, and everything that makes a H22 not an F22)

I just re read your question. I think VTEC has a lot to do with higher HP, but not torque. Torque is low end, and VTEC is high end. Torque falls off, and VTEC tries to bring it back.
          Make sense?
          MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

It's not that horspower is irrelevant when it comes to power. I think that's kind of what is being suggested. Horsepower and torque work together, while the torque may be very similiar, the horsepower is what seperates the two engines, making one "faster" than the other (notice faster in quotations, I can't think of a better word to use)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy
              I went through the same thing with people pushing me to get an H22A. In the end it didn't make sense. My Accord is my DD, and runs great, engine is in perfect health. It didn't make sense to pay the money and spend the time to swap out one good engine for another. That's assuming the H22A is in good running condition.

So I kept my engine, and upgraded it a bit. Still running strong with 242k miles, engine and trans have never been separated.
              So what did you do to upgrade it?
              “Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.”
              ― Jeremy Clarkson

Very first tear down and rebuild. vvv
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755"]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755"]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755

Current Build, F23 block F22b dohc head:

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=203144

Comment

HOLY ridiculous misinformation Batman.

This thread is so full of B.S. it is alarming...
                The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
                  HOLY ridiculous misinformation Batman.

This thread is so full of B.S. it is alarming...
                  Yeah I'm just guessing.
                  I know I've read the correct info on this site before, I just don't want to look it up.
                  MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

This.
                    An f22 pulls hard, but the h22 pulls even harder.
                    A local guy let me test his new h22 out and it sits you back in the seat.Plus it idles smoother and at redline it doesnt strain as much as the f does.

Comment

Originally posted by ferenza View Post
                      This.
                      An f22 pulls hard, but the h22 pulls even harder.
                      A local guy let me test his new h22 out and it sits you back in the seat.Plus it idles smoother and at redline it doesnt strain as much as the f does.
                      The F really does strain ALOT in the upper RPMs. I like the low end it has though.

Comment

^ I start shifting at about 5.5k when I feel like speed racer, those 700rpms till redline are anemic. I think its a number of factors that make the F22 inferior to the H22, still I'd rather have a (JDM) H23A over the H22 or F20B. I'm happy with the F22 for now.

Comment

When Im all the way on it in my 93 LX I shift at 5500-5800. There just isnt anything up there.

When I have someone behind me Ill take it to rev limiter for the smoke and flame or two but thats the only reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Mishakol129 View Post
                            [I]I thought the H22, because of its bigger pistons and compression ratio, would have much more torque than that.

What gives?
                            how does an H22 have bigger pistons than a F22?
                            they are both 2.2 litre/ 2200cc or how ever you wanna call it.

i might be incorrect in this but comparing an H22 to an H23 you might find that the H23 has bigger pistons hence the H23= 2300cc/ 2.3 litre as opposed to the H22 being 2200cc/ 2.2 litre

but despite that i went to an H22a simply because the cost was WAY down and the conversion super simple. i scored the engine, gearbox, ECU and loom and shafts and front rotors out of a 92 prelude for $650 including delivery so at the end of the day i got a massive performance increase for little buck...i guess what im saying is you got to weigh up the pros and cons and whats feasible according to your time and cash flow.....sorry if thats a bit off topic
                            Last edited by Madpol; 02-22-2013, 06:21 AM.

“I’d rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me. Your car is your story, so don’t let someone else write the book.”
                            — Mighty Car Mods

Comment

I'm with owequitit. If you don't understand the equation behind how horsepower is calculated then please don't explain horsepower or torque to anyone. To put it quite simply, torque is simply work being done. An F x d relationship, if you will. When you include "rpm" that has minutes as the time element you've got a rate in which that work is done. Horsepower is just that. A rate at which certain amounts of torque are being produced depending on a given rpm.

Madpol, please understand that bore is one of three factors used to determine an engine's displacement. In addition to bore there is stroke(where the H22A is behind the F22A and H23A) and number of cylinders. There is a large post in the performance section that covers all of the F/H dimensional information. I suggest you look it over.
                              My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Working...
                              X