Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Absolue simplest turbo setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolue simplest turbo setup?

Just wondering what's the most basic turbo setup anyone on here has on their cars. I'm thinking of going boosted, but not planning on running very high boost and not looking for incredible gains, just something decent and wondering what's the absolute simplest setup that will actually work.

Personally I don't even see why it has to be intercooled, I had an old 300ZX turbo that wasn't intercooled.
    I read somewhere that marijuana effects the memory. For some reason I can't seem remember where I read that. -- max sideburn(aka torqstr)

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin

CB7: The Movie TEASER VIDEO

simplest setup would be the snail plus pipes, since thats the only thing doing any work anyway. everything else is there just to make sure it runs right... i would never cheap out on a turbo setup because its so touchy and dangerous, but hey, good luck. why not just buy a nitrous kit?

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

I have no experience with nitrous at all.

Isn't it illegal for street use?
      Also isn't it expensive to refil the bottles?

If not I might just go that route. I just want a little more power for the old girl, and I so love the way my turbocharged Talon pulls when that turbo kicks in. I wouldn't even know what it feels like when nitrous kicks in.
      I read somewhere that marijuana effects the memory. For some reason I can't seem remember where I read that. -- max sideburn(aka torqstr)

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I'm with Troqstr. I'd like a simple turbo setup (small IC, 5 PSI or so, good safe tune) for a small kick, and mostly to keep power when I head up to the higher elevations.

I'd say just use a smallish IC, something you don't have to hack the shit of your bumper to fit. It won't be nearly the same as the Talon though. Still gonna need good tuning, which is one reason I wouldn't turbo (cost of tuning).
        Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

Put the turbo back by the muffler, run a pipe to the intake, connect an elec. oil pump. Very basic and it needs no cooler. Yes there is a little lag but it really depends on the turbo.

Comment

You can get a sidemount intercooler and mount it inline with the piping where your battery goes. Doesn't do too much but if you don't have one it'll be pretty hot and it won't spool as fast plus to much hot air just makes the engine run hotter.

you HAVE to have appropriate amounts of fuel because fuel starvation WILL kill your motor really quickly. That plus minimal cooling equals a fried block b4 you can blink. If you can get a local cb7er who has the tuning equipment you can get away with just changing the ecu to a chipped ecu(like a po6 from a civic) for either 80-100 if you chip the ecu yourself or $150-175 if you buy it from this forum. Better to get that first and get it working and at least half way figured out b4 you even boost.

I'm plannin on 5 psi daily as I drive my car a lot with a boost controller for runnin up to 7-8 psi track. I could do 10 but probably not for autocross driving only drag...
            My 91 Accord F22B DOHC MR

My 1996 Civic Ex H23A VTEC MR

Comment

btw torquestr sorry I never sent any media, I started and have two dvd's so far but only got half of it ready to burn and forgot... If you want some SERIOUS footage we are having a VERY large meet here Sat the 26th this month, at least 20+cb7's and some preludes... it'd very much be worth the 4-5 hr drive!

Comment

rape a dsm for it's turbo goodies. kick your timing back and get a rising rate FPR. stay low boost (8 pis or lower) and you should be good.

Comment

You might as well run 10 or 11 psi if your going to tune it right, doesnt really matter weather you run 5 or 10 because its going to still run the same with a good tune.
                  CB7
                  Removed:A/C, P/S, C/C, ABS, Wires, Battery
                  Added: H22A, South Bend TZ Series Clutch, Fidanza (8lb) Flywheel, Megan 4-1 Headers
                  Waiting For:M2F4 Tranny, NX 50 Shot

Comment

DSM ALL THE WAY!

THEN: 1993 Accord 10th Ann. Ed.---------------------- NOW: 1996 Accord EX
                    My Ride thread
                    Flickr
                    Originally posted by d112crzy
                    And it can only get better. That's the best part.
                    All I gotta really say is:
                    People of cb7tuner, this AUTO is NOT a joke. It has impressed ME, the hater of auto's.

Comment

if your going to do a turbo setup...do a turbo setup. dont fuck around.

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

^ Agreed, except I still wouldn't run much boost if its my DD and I didn't have much spare cash.
                        Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

the simpliest turbo setup is a 14b dsm kit. but like Accord R33 said, dont fuck around or it could be costly.
                          miss my turbo cb7
                          moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

eh, after all of this I think I've decided against turbo-ing the Honda, at least for now. I've got the Turbo AWD Talon if I have a need for boost, but I am now seriously thinking about nitrous.

After my upper engine rebuild I will have an F22A1 with the F22A6 cam and manifold with the H22A plenum, full exhaust, MSD ignition, etc... So I think it will be quick enough N/A for now. But a nice no2 boost should be good. I've never used it before, but if nitrous is half as fun as boost it should be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by sulimed
                              rape a dsm for it's turbo goodies. kick your timing back and get a rising rate FPR. stay low boost (8 pis or lower) and you should be good.
                              yeah, above 8 without perfect tuning on a stock internal motor is asking for it... I still don't know if I'd trust an fpr though

Comment

Working...
                              X