Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Random ECU Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random ECU Question

In terms of tuning, I want to get into it. Say I have spare ecu. Would you all reccomend getting the feel for this using my spare first before actually going live (Really doing the thing)
    IridiumCore
    HCK-The Beginning

--------------------------------------
    Your drunk she doesn't look that good.

well whats the difference between a "tuned spare" and the "real thing" ? no matter what you do you should carry a known-good spare ECU in the car when you are making changes to the one thats in there. but a chipped ECU is a chipped ecu... so whichever you are using (tuning) will be the "real" live one, and whichever one is not installed will be the spare... theres no way to tune a real life car in a "practice" setting...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

As long as you chip the ECU properly, it doesn't really matter. The tune itself is what you have to be careful with... and it will be the engine that is damaged, not the ECU, if you do something seriously wrong. Tuning an N/A F22A is pretty safe, though. As long as you have an idea of what you're doing before you dive into it, you should be able to learn as you go without destroying the engine (turbo is a good deal riskier.)

The only reason to have a spare ECU on hand is if you do damage to the modified one while soldering, or while swapping the chip out. Our ECUs are pretty tough, but one unexpected static shock could possibly fry it.

Comment

Thanks gents. I've gotta go do some posting in the technical/performance board. I think I've an unusual idle issue.

BTW the chipped p28 came in. Aside from a dyno run (don't have that $$) is there anything else I should do before putting it in. The butterflies, knock sensor, and speed limiter are disabled. I can deal with loss of low end torque cause of the butterflies but I dunno if there is anything else that needs to be done before putting this thing in.
        IridiumCore
        HCK-The Beginning

Comment

Wideband O2 sensor and gauge so you can monitor the AFRs. Throwing a blind basemap into your car is at times a bit of a risk. they are usually only used to get your engine running enough to check for leaks and get you to the tuner.

So you should have a laptop, wideband O2 and a datalogging cable in place before you throw a chipped ECU with a blind map in it. That way you will be able to monitor what is going on and remove the ECU if it is burning too rich or too lean. or tune it if you know what too do.
          MR Thread
          GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Chip

Do you know what tune is on the chip?

I HIGHLY recommend that you load it up in crome (I am assuming it is crome)

Hell you could even post it here and have others look at it. I have one that I used on a few different h22's in boise idaho that is dead on idle and cruse, and then runs about a 12.6-12.7 wot.

It is dangerous to assume that someone put the right map on there, or even that there is a map on there without looking at it. I know I have sent maps out and forgot to change something myself.

If you are going to be tuning yourself I am again assuming (I assume a lot) that you have a way to burn and therefore read the chip.

201 Whp H22a with bolt ons, see the progress from stock f22a to now HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Ghetto_CB7 View Post
              Do you know what tune is on the chip?

I HIGHLY recommend that you load it up in crome (I am assuming it is crome)

Hell you could even post it here and have others look at it. I have one that I used on a few different h22's in boise idaho that is dead on idle and cruse, and then runs about a 12.6-12.7 wot.

It is dangerous to assume that someone put the right map on there, or even that there is a map on there without looking at it. I know I have sent maps out and forgot to change something myself.

If you are going to be tuning yourself I am again assuming (I assume a lot) that you have a way to burn and therefore read the chip.
              Working on it.
              In the meanwhile I'm try to find a reasonable speed shop in the philly area. I've heard of one that does dyno runs for $100 just gotta get the name again so I am GPS it and get there.

So far I haven't had time to research data logging and read up on tuning. You know kids, work, and dog on wife troubles in terms of spending too much time with the car. You know I was told that I'm cheating on her with my car. Is that even possible? LMAO.
              IridiumCore
              HCK-The Beginning

Comment

I'm not married but.

I am not married, but I would imagine that dog on wife problems are a bitch.

Anyway do they charge $100 an hour, or for 3 pulls on the meter?

Does philly have an automotive forum, there has to be someone who can load the map off the chip and email you a copy.

Anyway sorry for the wife cheating with the dog, but you deserve it after your car affair.

EDIT: The first line could ALMOST be an unintentional pun

201 Whp H22a with bolt ons, see the progress from stock f22a to now HERE

Comment

Ghetto lmao.

Yeah man imma look into it prolly next week. I think its for three pulls.
                  IridiumCore
                  HCK-The Beginning

Comment

Working...
                  X