Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

light weight timing pulleys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

light weight timing pulleys

wats up every one. I was curious if anybody made any light weight pulleys for timing belt, like front and rear balancer shaft pulleys. i would think it would reduce hella drag and free up more powe. i dunt know, this question just poped in to my head couple hours ago. it will be a hella good thing to manufacture and it will benefit a lot.
    did anyone thought about that too, or know about anything like that?

No, noone does. Go make power elsewhere. If you're bent on removing the weight of the timing gears, remove the belt from them and don't run them at all. Your car will idle a little rougher but no more than they would if you had cam or urethane mounts.
    Last edited by Jarrett; 02-11-2006, 04:26 PM.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Wow, it took one person 6 days to come up with a less-than-witty witty remark...I'm shocked...

But alas, I do agree....

Get some UR Ultra SS pulleys, and don't mess with you're timing belt unless you know what you're doing....I can't believe you would trust an aftermarket company to make something like that anywayz, hell, I'm fearful of adjustable cam gears and what could happen...let alone some half-assed lightweight crank timing gear...geez..
      SOHC Non-VTEC F-series for life

"It is the fools prerogative to utter truths that no one else will speak."
      -Morpheus (The Sandman)

Comment

if they came out with a lightweight timing belt.....and 100,000miles was tested on it numerous amts of times with no issues then HELL YEA i;d get one.....but yea lightweight could cause some problems i would think...never really gave it any thought. hmmmmmmm
        My members ride thread

Comment

Originally posted by Wiccanvampier
          Wow, it took one person 6 days to come up with a less-than-witty witty remark...I'm shocked...

But alas, I do agree....

Get some UR Ultra SS pulleys, and don't mess with you're timing belt unless you know what you're doing....I can't believe you would trust an aftermarket company to make something like that anywayz, hell, I'm fearful of adjustable cam gears and what could happen...let alone some half-assed lightweight crank timing gear...geez..
          I'm struggling to see where my comment contains any attempt at displaying wit. I replied the first time I saw it, so no, I didn't think on it for six days, but thanks anyways.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

My comment was not a crack at you, I was simply expressing the fact that it took six days before anyone replied to the post...as for that wit...I suppose if saying, "If you're bent on removing the weight of the timing gears, remove the belt from them and don't run them at all. Your car will idle a little rougher but no more than they would if you had cam or urethane mounts." isn't considered wit, than it must be sheer unadulterated stupidity, no offense...

j/k, I took it to mean like...remove then timing belt....were you talking about the balancer belt perhaps?...Oh, wait, I suppose neither idea is that bright though...but I suppose given the option, I'd rather vibrate my motor to pieces, indstead of smashing my pistons into my valves...

Could it be that you have no clue what you're talking about....or maybe I'm just crossing the line here...either way, I'm still the asshole, heh.

-Kyle

PS- Seriously though, please don't take offense to anything I just said.
            SOHC Non-VTEC F-series for life

"It is the fools prerogative to utter truths that no one else will speak."
            -Morpheus (The Sandman)

Comment

have any of you actually felt the weight of a timing belt or any of the timing GEARS (no, they are definately not pulleys, or all of our motors would be instantly dead the moment we turned the key) ???? the gears weigh what, half a pound? same as the timing belt. how could you even consider getting lighter versions and having it even help? a lighter belt is the stupidest idea i have ever heard.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
              Current cars:
              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by accrdpower
                if they came out with a lightweight timing belt.....and 100,000miles was tested on it numerous amts of times with no issues then HELL YEA i;d get one.....but yea lightweight could cause some problems i would think...never really gave it any thought. hmmmmmmm
                Timing belts barely weigh anything anyway. That's why people make the switch from chains to belts. If you wanna get some power, get the balance shaft eliminator kit
                Originally posted by DoctorCipher
                ...the beginner forum was created to provide a place for all the stupid ass questions to pile up and fester, kind of like huge globs of mayonnaise left in the sun for weeks at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by accord"R"
                  wats up every one. I was curious if anybody made any light weight pulleys for timing belt, like front and rear balancer shaft pulleys. i would think it would reduce hella drag and free up more powe. i dunt know, this question just poped in to my head couple hours ago. it will be a hella good thing to manufacture and it will benefit a lot.
                  did anyone thought about that too, or know about anything like that?
                  Chalk up another one for the fact that all those parts weigh very little.

Timing components are NOT something you want to make MORE flimsy.

These ideas are just fuckin' retarded

cha-ching

Comment

Just so everyone knows, I wasn't seriously suggesting he remove the balance shaft belts. It was all sarcastic and I thought I got that across given the tone, but just in case....I would NEVER do that.

Comment

we don't need lighter belts, we need stronger beltshttp://www.gruppe-s.com/Subaru/subeng/pe_tbelt.htm to bad the don't make em for our cars

Comment

Working...
                      X