Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

What kind of pulley to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of pulley to use?

I have a cheap underdrive pulley on my cb7 (please let's not turn this thread into another OMG, underdrive pulley, your car will blow up in 5 minutes!!! thread.) I'm just wondering if I should put the old one back on, leave this one, or get a standard sized lightweight crank pulley. I'm gonna remove the power steering so I would love a standard sized lightweight pulley for just my alternator but I doubt I'll find one. Anyway, any ideas if I should leave this, put the old one on, or get a standard sized one? Since the power steering is gonna be removed, I think most of the parasitic drag would be removed too, so does that make the pulley useless?

Thanks!

UR stop make the single rib pulley. the only one i know of is the OEM EURO-R pulley. but they cost.
    Last edited by sulimed; 10-12-2009, 09:29 AM.

Comment

You could always have a machine shop remove the p/s row off the pulley, that wouldn't be all that bad at all. It's been done before w/ even OEM pullies. Plus, if it could be safely lightened even more, then what the heck But that's prob. pushing it, if you want even more, go w/ an 8 lb flywheel.

Comment

Auto tranny, doesn't have a flywheel does it? flexplate isn't it?

Comment

^oops, yes, flexplate, I just assumed you were 5 spd!

Comment

you can get light weight torque convertors......but they cost

Comment

Any machine work done to the OEM crank pulley (which is balanced), needs to be balanced again before installation.
              HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81 View Post
                Any machine work done to the OEM crank pulley (which is balanced), needs to be balanced again before installation.
                Newbi question, I'm sure I'm not the only 1 wondering... but y would you want the row off the power steering pulley?

I'm tryin to picture it in my mind, without the grooves won't the belts slip and jus spin. No grip
                **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
                Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
                Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Originally posted by F20A CB7 View Post
                  Newbi question, I'm sure I'm not the only 1 wondering... but y would you want the row off the power steering pulley?

I'm tryin to picture it in my mind, without the grooves won't the belts slip and jus spin. No grip
                  Re-read the OP. He's eliminating P/S anyway so considering cutting the whole P/S drive pulley off of the main crank pulley to reduce weight.
                  My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

exactly! it'd be easy if someone made an OEM sized billet pulley with the power steering removed, because I hate the lower alternator output of the underdrive pulley.

Comment

get a fluidampr if your gonna change to anything other than a stock pulley. Machining off the PS portion of the IMO wouldnt be a good idea. There is only so much rubber holding on the two parts of the pulley together. removing half of it may cause some issues with the pulleys own harmonics and cause the rubber to tear and cause some serious problems.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
                      member ride thread
                      11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
                      DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
                      People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
                      I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
                      John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

Originally posted by turbo90accord View Post
                        get a fluidampr if your gonna change to anything other than a stock pulley. Machining off the PS portion of the IMO wouldnt be a good idea. There is only so much rubber holding on the two parts of the pulley together. removing half of it may cause some issues with the pulleys own harmonics and cause the rubber to tear and cause some serious problems.
                        the rubber damper is contained within the main body of the inner alternator pulley. on all pulleys (pullies?) the p/s portion is nothing more than a hollow extension sticking off the side. machining it off would have no effect on the core function of the pulley as a whole as long as it is rebalanced of course.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                        Current cars:
                        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

ATI makes one for h22's as well.
                          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

dont run a cheap aftermarket crank pulley... I did and broke an oilpump... When i put the OEM harmonic balancer on the car not only ran smoother but felt more power... I know ATI and fluiddyne finally make ones for the F22/H23/H22 which i'm sure are good...
                            12.5 at 114.6mph 15psi
                            11.7 and 11.5 20.5psi
                            F22a1
                            60-1 td06h turbo
                            Darton mid sleeves
                            85.5 wiseco 8.8:1 forged pistons
                            Crower pro billet rods
                            Custom ported head.
                            KMS valves
                            F23 headgasket
                            ARP H23 headstuds
                            H23 upper intake manifold
                            F22a6 lower intake manifold
                            Intake manifold is gutted
                            AEM EMS 1040u
                            FIC 850cc injectors
                            Walbro 255 pump
                            H23 manual trans
                            Prelude shifter assembly
                            Forbidden short throw
                            Nitrous Express Kit installed, never used on this motor

Comment

Working...
                            X