Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Venturi tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venturi tubes

Does anyone have experience with a venturi tube/s on the exhaust right after the collector?

Did you see any gains? Losses? Thoughts, comments?
    There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Bump

I think one after the collector would enhance my air velocity and reduce backpressure, especially considering the size that my exhaust is going to be....but does anyone have anything to back this up?

Comment

Have any pics of what your talking about? If it's what I think your talking about, I don't think it would really help any. But I've been wrong plenty of times before, so who knows.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
      "The Turtle"
      DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Comment

Something like that should increase backpressure, but some backpressure is good.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
          "The Turtle"
          DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

Originally posted by 93F22A6 View Post
            Something like that should increase backpressure, but some backpressure is good.
            Wouldn't it decrease backpressure? Air after the venturi moves at a higher velocity than before, and thus the pressure must decrease because of the law of conservation of energy.

I could be wrong, but I see this as a cheaper, yet effective alternative to a true merge collector as seen on a header like bisimoto's.

Comment

It moves a higher velocity after the restriction. I see it as a bigger benefit in intake design. The exhaust there are easier ways such as bigger piping or mandrel bends. I can see where your coming from but I dont see it as a benefit on the exit side.

The New-ish Ride
              My old Ride
              Hear my Vtak!!!
              MK3 Member #3
              I piss off people for fun.
              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

i was going to say the same, AFTER the restriction its at a higher velocity and lower density. before it gets the opposite. though i cant say im fully read up on the physics behind a venturi tube, it doesnt sound beneficial to me

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                Current cars:
                - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05 View Post
                  It moves a higher velocity after the restriction. I see it as a bigger benefit in intake design. The exhaust there are easier ways such as bigger piping or mandrel bends. I can see where your coming from but I dont see it as a benefit on the exit side.
                  Thats a good point. I will have mandrel bends and bigger(2.5") piping on a N/A setup.

My thinking was that I am going to be running a very long resonator, probably about a 22" or 24" body, and then a 5x11x22 muffler. That resonator is going to slow air flow, so why not speed up the air before it gets to the resonator?

>>>"The Venturi effect is the reduction in fluid pressure that results when a fluid flows through a constricted section of pipe. The fluid velocity must increase through the constriction to satisfy the equation of continuity, while its pressure must decrease due to conservation of energy: the gain in kinetic energy is balanced by a drop in pressure or a pressure gradient force. An equation for the drop in pressure due to venturi effect may be derived from a combination of Bernoulli's principle and the equation of continuity.

The limiting case of the Venturi effect is when a fluid reaches the state of choked flow, where the fluid velocity approaches the local speed of sound. In choked flow the mass flow rate will not increase with a further decrease in the downstream pressure environment."<<<

Its not a huge issue, as I'll have an e-cut out, but i still want to get the most out of this.

Nail, I think I remember reading in a post of yours a long time ago that you have two resonators? If so, what are the dimensions and where are they located?
                  Last edited by mndude07; 06-08-2009, 09:42 PM.

Comment

id pair that with a 3" exhaust. running the right merge collector and that "venturi tube", one will be able to run a much larger exhaust setup to not only increase flow but doesnt hurt the velocity.
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Most high dollar headers use something like this. They won't exactly go from big to small and back to big, but just one size and then they will cone to a bigger size, usually after the collector.

And whomever mentioned back pressure, quit thinking in the olden days. You don't EVER want back pressure. What you want is an exhaust that has no restriction and has optimal flow for the powerband you want.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

The high dollar headers use an anti reversion chamber or something of that nature. It absorbs the pressure waves thrown at the exhaust not much of a venturi IMO. If they do I see little effect in it but thats just me. Its just there to dampen and smooth out the exhaust flow exiting the header. There is also another exhaust design higher dollar headers and carse use such as ferrari and so on use from the factory. Its something like bisi's designs. A lot of higher dollar drag cars and so on use this but I will post up whenever I remember what it is...Brain is kinda overworked at the moment.

I had two resonators welded together. They were after cat and it toned down the exhaust a lot. If you can find a large resonator itself then that would be a good compromise. I had two 18" welded together.

The New-ish Ride
                        My old Ride
                        Hear my Vtak!!!
                        MK3 Member #3
                        I piss off people for fun.
                        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Those anti reversion chambers are called "steps". They go from absolutely one size right to the next. They use those in the primaries/secondaries.

The venturis are usually used after the collector.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

...this just looks like a kink in the pipe...it's going to be low velocity right before the bend and high pressure as the exhaust bottle necks.

If it were tapered from the original pipe to larger maybe...or if it enlarged from size AA.AA to size BB.BB then went back to size AA.AA.

But I don't see how this could help exhaust flow.

Back pressure...you want the exhaust to flow out...and not get air backing up at all...if you don't have a header or pipes at all then you'll bend valves as a result of the cool air hitting the valves but as long as you run a header you don't need to worry about that...still possible in certain circumstances...anyhoo back pressure isn't something we need to worry about.
                            ____

Comment

Burnt valves are from no backpressure...
                              Then again depends on what your doing
                              Stock Idleing engine with no backpressure will burn valves (not moving enough air)
                              However WOT it might be a better thing in the high RPM range, however it sacrifces low end torque.
                              I had a 3" flowmaster on my car then I switched to a OEM EX and theres a high difference in torque. However now high end has suffered.
                              I take gas saving torque anyday
                              Your man for wiring solutions!
                              CB7Man's Coupe H22 Swap
                              CB7Man's Sedan Resurrected From The Dead

Comment

Working...
                              X