I need to find a dash light for behind the fan switch and temp knobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need to find a dash light for behind the fan switch and temp knobs

It's the tiny single light that pushes into a wired socket and then the socket twists into the backside of the heater control unit ... it's the one positioned between and slightly below the fan knob and temp knob (SE, EX models etc.)

(It isn't one of the two that go on the right-most side, behind the push buttons that direct the airflow. Those are "wireless" sockets like what lights up the defrost, hazard, fog, cruise etc. buttons; different animal.)

Today, my dealer tells me he doesn't know what that bulb is and can only get it by ordering the whole HVAC control assembly! Yikes! Says there's no part # for it.

And no, it isn't a type 74 such as the ashtray and shift lever lights --- looks like it but smaller. 74 is too big but is the same type of design.

What sucks is that I don't even know for sure if the light is burned out (looks fine when pulled out.) For years this light has sometimes worked. I used to be able to push the area between the knobs and get it to light for awhile and sometimes it would just come on by itself after driving for like 30 minutes.

But it fits tight in the socket. I tried splaying apart the leads a little to help make better contact with the socket but no dice. I want to try another bulb.

Radio Shack?

If I ever find my multimeter I'll also verify that the socket is sending juice.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Just looked at Majestic --- same story. They only show the two NEO-WEDGE (T3) bulbs for the right-most side.

Man, I don't wanna scrounge junkyards for this and have to tear apart dashes all damn day.

Comment

try taking some fine grit sand paper and sanding the contacts, especially the copper ones. later.
      Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

you could try getting a bunch from a junkyard...

bring the bulb to the dealer and ask again, last time i went and asked for some he gave me a couple for free, new in the bag.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Me too?

The Lights for the push button swithches on my Ex are out too. The ones for the recerc, and fresh air buttons. The indicator light illuminates when pushed but no the background light the A/C switch lights up when the lights are on but not the other two. Also my Hazard switch light is out. Are these buttons individually relampable?
          Thanx
          Momma told me not to look in the eyes of the sun,,,, but Momma that's were the fun is......
          Steven Adler

1993 Accord EX JDM F22a6 4 door Sedan

Comment

Now that I realized this is an older post, did you ever get this working?
            '92 Accord LX Sedan--Bordeaux Red Pearl --OEM--279k Daily Driver
            EX Lip & Alpine OEM single CD Player. No more useless pocket!

Comment

http://autolumination.com go to p74 bulbs.
              What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

This is a NON update

TypeG --- I've thought about trying to either bend the copper contacts within the socket inward towards the bulb, if possible, or else jamming wires in each side, to effectively "thicken up" the contact area inside the socket. But the dash has been put back together and I don't know if I'll get to it before it sells.

[cp]mike --- Originally I thought about a junkyard however the bulb isn't actually bad. It just doesn't make reliable contact with the socket. Stupid wedge design ... and Honda doesn't sell that bulb, doesn't have a listing for it at all.

accordztech --- I've already mentioned it isn't a 74 bulb. It looks like a 74 but is slightly smaller. I tried putting a 74 in there and it won't fit. And, if it was a 74 the dealer and any auto store would of course have it. Since the socket is "free" I could get a 74's socket from somewhere, such as another car's ashtray or auto-shifter light and wire it in --- I think where the socket plugs into the back of the HVAC is the same size --- however it's my guess that a 74 would be too bright and not match the rest.

icemanxxxv --- Regarding the hazard switch. That, and other dash switches like the defrost/cruise etc. are "neo wedge" bulbs --- tiny bulbs permanently affixed to their socket. You replace the bulb/socket as a unit. Dealer has it. I'm not clear on which of your HVAC unit lights are out, but if it's the background lights toward the right --- those are 2 neo wedge bulbs the dealer will have. If you're talking about the lights that light up when the recirc/fresh air buttons etc. are pressed ... uh, you may be out of luck. Just explain to to the dealer and see.

Comment

Neo - Wedge Instrument Panel Bulbs are 10mm (3/8") diameter x 13mm (1/2") high

check that website again under the p74 and scroll down..those are a bit smaller.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...L+%28BUTTON%29

any of those??? i wonder if u can just give them that part number and call them idiots.
                  What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Not sure what you're referring to. That link only shows the neo-wedge bulbs that light up the buttons to the right. icemanxxxv needs one or two of those.

The fan and temp knobs are lit by the bulb I'm talking about, and it isn't even a neo-wedge; it's a wedge like a 74 is, only smaller.

Well lookie, here it is:

Markings on it indicate "S . 12v" or "5 . 12v" and 2W. It's 5mm wide and 11mm tall from the base or 19mm tall including the base. I don't know what a type 74 is but it's a little bigger than that.

Comment

fyi, specs on the 74 bulb:
                      http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b.pl/74~usa.html

have you tried a page like the one above to narrow down the search?

http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/t.pl
                      '92 Accord LX Sedan--Bordeaux Red Pearl --OEM--279k Daily Driver
                      EX Lip & Alpine OEM single CD Player. No more useless pocket!

Comment

Working...
                      X