Blue LEDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blue LEDs

I need to know who all has done the blue LED conversion into their Accords. I'm trying to work on the climate control right now and I am having problems everywhere. I bought 2 extra units so I could practice and on the first one, only the bottom string of LEDs lit up when connected to a 9-volt battery. On the second one, I didn't put any new LEDs into it just to keep a constant(the 9-volt battery) and none of the LEDs light up. I'm thinking since the whole circuit board was designed to run with LEDs from the factory, I don't need a resistor added anywhere, even on the perf board strips I added. I'm going to rewire everything without the resistors anywhere and plug it into the car and see if it works there. That's the power source that matters seeing as it's the one I'll be relying on once everything's in the car. Also, how do you remove the little colored lenses that are behind every switch? Do they just pop out or do you have to wrestle them out or what? Help drastically needed!
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

cpmike to the rescue....he will know
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

lol, thanks...

jarrett, you know the 8 spots where there are stock green LEDs? those you can pull out and install blue LEDs without worrying about resistors.

and you made a comment about the board being made to run all LEDs... it wasnt. it was made to run the 8 LEDs mentioend above, but the faces of all the buttons are all lit up by those 2 small twist-base bulbs, which run on 12 volts, which is WAY to much to run an LED off of. if you wire it up w/out resistors youll get a bunch of nice looking burnt LEDs and a really crappy smell. also i wouldnt recommend using a 9v battery to test... just wait till u can plug it into the car.

when you mount the LEDs to the strips of perfboard, each one needs to have its own 560ohm resistor attached to one of its leads... no exceptions (at least in this case).

and about the colored lenses, they are kinda hard to get out... you need to pop the button face off from the front to get to it, but every time i tried (8 times) i broke the little clips that held it on, which wasnt too big a deal because the buttons ended up going back on well enough. but you dont need to worry about the plastic lenses, because they are blue... which is the color youre aiming for. well except for the defroster button... which is amber... you cant do anything about that, its stuck being amber. i had to put a white LED behind it to get it to light up.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
      Current cars:
      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

That's right, I totally forgot about those two being 12 volts. Well, why does every positive lead on an LED need to have a resistor? Hasn't the electrical charge already been reduced by 560 ohms? Just a preventative measure or what? Well, I'm making the defroster red so I don't know what the resulting color will be but I'm pretty sure it will be something I can relate to "warm" though so it'll be fine. This thing is taking so long though that I probably wouldn't mind if all of them turned out brown. Thanks though.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

here you go..

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Well, there's my problem right there. I was wiring them in series, not parallel. Well, while I'm on the topic, do you have a diagram for the gauge cluster? I'm in the process of doing it now but I have no idea which is positive or negative. I'm going to get new gauges today so I can have some in the car while I work on it but when I was doing that circuit board on top I put LEDs into the factory bulb holders and back into the board and plugged it into the car to see if any lit up and none of them did. I know that's a bad idea with no resistors but I figured 2 seconds wouldn't hurt. None of them are burned out either. I figure some might be in backwards but not all of them. What am I doing wrong? Criticism GREATLY appreciated.

Comment

Working...
            X