New trunk, swapped from 9293 coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New trunk, swapped from 9293 coupe

Well, it came back from the paint shop, got it mounted up, but I realized it doesn't match! See what I mean....

Hehe, the inner and outer tails don't match, but I'll go get the tails from the car that gave me the trunk.

Also the 9091 lights are shallower then the 9293 lights, take a look at what I mean here...

See the gap, how the lights stick out?

I found that the lock cylinders are quite different, and I thought I would have to buy new locks or go to a locksmith, but CB7tuner.com saves the day!
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...working+key%2A

Coupe lock on the left, my sedan lock on the right.

With the sheathe removed, you can see the pins sticking out.

Lock cylinders broken down, my sedan lock on the left, the coupe lock on the right.

Here's my sedan lock pieced apart.

When you take them apart, you find they are very similiar and then can be swapped!
    Last edited by accordaffair; 10-15-2008, 02:06 PM.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
    where you been, is something wrong?
    i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

I did the swap on my 90 Accord, but I used the inner and outer tails from the 92 donner...

See here....

http://www.geocities.com/hondalover11279/Pictures.html

as for the lock. I just used the one off my old trunk lid and put it on the 92 lid.
    Last edited by 4thgenaccord; 03-29-2006, 10:38 PM.
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

4thgenaccord, the reason just swapping the lock worked for you is because you used a 92 4door sedan lid, accordaffair used a 9293 2door coupe lid, which uses a different type of lock cylinder... swapping trunk lids between any 90-91 and a 92-93 sedan the locks are swappable, but swapping to or from a 92-93 coupe lid is when you need to do the crazy lock disassembly

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
      Current cars:
      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

did you upgrade your trunk springs to accomodate for the spoiler? spoiler equipped trunk lids have a stiffer trunk spring to hold the extra weight. when you go back to get the outter tails, go get the springs too if you can. there is a special way to remove the spring so be careful. i love coupe lids on sedans!
        1cor10:31
        - 92 LX coupe
        - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

did you upgrade your trunk springs to accomodate for the spoiler? spoiler equipped trunk lids have a stiffer trunk spring to hold the extra weight. when you go back to get the outter tails, go get the springs too if you can. there is a special way to remove the spring so be careful. i love coupe lids on sedans!
          No I didn't but I plan to. I just think that the junkyard will charge me alot for 2 tails and springs....they overcharge for their parts

Comment

hmmm...congrats on getting the lid...i actually want the Sedan lid..only because they dont make Red/Clears for the 9293 coupes...how hard was it to change the lock assembly?

Click ^^^ for MR Thread
            Originally posted by steelbluesleepR
            by the way, arguing on the net is like womens basketball, even if you win, no one cares.

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike]
              4thgenaccord, the reason just swapping the lock worked for you is because you used a 92 4door sedan lid, accordaffair used a 9293 2door coupe lid, which uses a different type of lock cylinder... swapping trunk lids between any 90-91 and a 92-93 sedan the locks are swappable, but swapping to or from a 92-93 coupe lid is when you need to do the crazy lock disassembly
              Ok
              !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by timmy0tool
                That would explain posts I've read about trunks barely opening when swapping to a spoiler, or the opposite whereby it flung with force when swapping to a non-spoiler trunk with the stiffer springs.
                '92 Accord LX Sedan--Bordeaux Red Pearl --OEM--279k Daily Driver
                EX Lip & Alpine OEM single CD Player. No more useless pocket!

Comment

Precisely ^^

Comment

Mad props to ya man .. looks awesome .. and I can see what you mean by the *gap*
                    Still looks schweeet to me tho .. I got all the parts ready for mine as well ..
                    Who did the color match? And whad ya pay to have it all done?

We still gotta hook up one a these here days ..

A Hui Hou !!!
                    Tomi

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

I just took it to an auto body paint shop called "Preferred auto" and told them just to paint it stock honda white. He pulled the paint code form the door frame and did it. I'm not concerned about blending b/c my paint is bad/old/different shades hehe. BTW I got the new tails today, I think a relay or something might be bad, I threw the brake lamp light. Even after I replaced the stop lamp bulb. Light is running out, gotta go diagnose!

Funny thing is I threw it and a code 12 same time....wierd

Comment

Ahhh.. ok .. I wish ya woulda told me . I'da had my guyz hook you up ..

So, le me get this straight .. you mean the brake lights in the tails are messin up?
                        Or .. the spoiler led's? Whats the code 12? Hope ya get it figured out!

Got a PM comin your way ..

A Hui Hou !!!
                        Tomi

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Yeah, after I installed the new tail lights I went out for a drive. I was cruising down the road normally and suddenly my CEL came on. I was a bit surprised! But last time I got a CEL while driving my car nearly caught fire! (see thread from mid-december, hehe) So I pulled over immediately. Everything seemed cool under the hood, but I was not confident that the car would be fine until I knew what was wrong. I pulled the code right then and there, 1 long 2 short. But I don't have a CEL chart in my glovebox (maybe I should?). I called my mom and it's like pulling teeth trying to tell someone else how to browse to cb7tuner.com and find CEL codes.

First she didn't know how to spell it (even though I said it over the phone), then she couldn't figure out to click the car to enter the site. Then she only had beginner forums, hehe. So she had to log me in, eventually getting into "normal" technical, and I pointed her to "accord technical information". FINALLY I get the info, code 12 is fault in EGR system. Well I figured thats no biggie, I can keep driving with an f'd EGR. But with only a couple hours of daylight left I decided to go home and try to figure it out.

As I was turning around I saw the "Brake Lamp" light come on. Now I was like, "oh you're f'ing kidding me, those aren't related at all". It's kinda hard to see if your stop lamp is working without another person, but I went to discount auto and bought some new bulbs anyway. Replaced it but the light was still showing.

So I drove home, and with the help of my mom was able to see which lights came on and which didn't. All lights came on except the stop lamp. But when depressing the brakes, only the left tail light brightened. I searched cb7tuner and heard several different things...but one seemed to imply the relays in the lights themselves could be bad. These were all "new" lights from the junkyard so it would make sense if something didn't work. I swapped the relays from my old 90-91 tail to the new 92-93 tail.

Ok, so now the right tail didn't come on at all....Partly out of desperation, and mostly out of confusion I swapped the brake bulb from left to right. Hehe, now everything worked right, no more brake lamp light.

So on to the code 12. The honda service manual suggests clearing the code and trying to get it back. I wasn't patient enough to do this, so I removed the EGR and examined it. It looked pretty damn good to me...but I did have another old egr left over from when I did the a6 IM swap back in december of 04. I put that in and everything has been peachy so far. I kept the EGR in case I should need it. I think the error was just a loose wire.

Sorry for the long-winded, excessively boring post!
                          Last edited by accordaffair; 04-02-2006, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X