Painting valve cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting valve cover?

I am not sure this is the right thread, but it is an appearance issue, so yeah..

How do I go about painting the valve cover? I wanna get it done right, so Someone, please walk me through it. I bought the duplicolor engine enamel paint-chevy orange/red. I think this is a good color, to look most liek the mugen covers..right? I will use this paint for my calipers too. But, start with after opening the hood, cause...duh! I need help..

Also, anyone know about the pillar gauges? I need to know how to wire it all up. I could hook it up to the switch that came with my euro reverse gaugese, since they can change color, like the pillar gauges can. I know that they light up, as I tested it right off this switch..the problem is..the pillar gauges take power away from the euro's and so they don't light up as bright...they look more green then blue..so, I need the pillars to run off of a different area of power..any ideas?

-A. Swift
    CB7 member number 137
    Black Doubt Crew member #2
    Ebay Whore Club member #5

-I was at the dentist, breathin' in some nitrous oxide (laughing gas) and all of a sudden..I ran faster!!!

AIM: boostinswifty38

alipne 7995 deck, pioneer 400w 4 ch amp, and all the wires for sale..500 obo!

R/C cars and a heli for sale..2 airbrushes, paints, bodies galore..etc etc..tc3 and xxx buggy for sale..400 for it all! hit me up for details n pics

take the valve voer off, and give it a good cleaning. then give it a bit of a sanding down. next thro on some primer, followed by whatever color you want, and then finally thro on some clear coat, put on a couple coats of each and make sure you let each coat dry properly, and use high heat type paint too. if you want to exposs the lettering back to the original silvery color afterward. just put some sand paper on a piece of wood and sand that part down.

Comment

read this... here is my 2.2cl valve cover

LINK CLICK ME!!!! VTEC VALVE COVER!!!! BWHAHAHAH!!!!!

$60.00 plus shipping to and back and youll get it done the right way! Hit me up PM if your intrested.

Comment

Originally posted by cb7deathride
        read this... here is my 2.2cl valve cover

LINK CLICK ME!!!! VTEC VALVE COVER!!!! BWHAHAHAH!!!!!

$60.00 plus shipping to and back and youll get it done the right way! Hit me up PM if your intrested.

What kind of paint are you using? The painting looks like OEM style. I got the paint but the paint is smooth after painting.

Comment

yumm...

sanded down the original wrinkle paint, sprayed w/ high temp black, and put quite a deal of high temp clearcoat on. (i like the gloss look, and i DONT want it to start chipping)

btw the paint he used is explained within the link, its black wrinkle paint, and he covered that with blue.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

you know that cover dont fit on the f22...the spark holes are on the wrong side.
            What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Im building a f22b1 motor to swap out the f22a.

Comment

there's a DIY in the DIY section on how to do this.
                but here's a detailed description for removing/replacing the valve cover:

1. pull out the spark plug wires (use a twisting/pulling motion)
                2. pull out the two vacuum lines (they just pop off)
                3. take off the 4 main bolts that hold the valve cover on
                4. use a rubber malet or something else, and give the valve cover a good whack on the side (cause after 11-14 years of use it's gonna be stuck on there good) note: don't use a screw driver or anything to pry the cover off because the block is aluminum, and can be easily dented, and then you're gonna leak oil
                5. make sure there's no junk on top of the valve cover that can fall into the engine, and then take it off.
                6. take off (or scrape out if needed) the old gasket.
                7. also take off the old spark plug gaskets
                8. carefully scrape off any old silicone that's still on the block

- do all your painting and crap explained in the DIY.

now to put it back on:
                1. you're gonna need new gaskets (valve cover gasket, and spark plus gaskets, unless they've been replaced recently)
                2. you also gonna need some Gasket Silicone
                3. put the new gaskets in the valve cover (you can use some silicone to hold them in place)
                4. put a dab of silicone at the ends of the arcs where the rocker arm assembly is. (so 4 dabs in total)
                5. let the silicone dry for about 5-10 mins
                6. put the valve cover back on, and do everything back up.

OR, you could just buy a HAYNES MANUAL! hehe
                CB7 + H22A4 + M2S4 + JDM P13

www.vancouveraccords.com

Comment

painting valve cover?

will it take special paint or coating to paint the valve cover on my F22a1?
                  also, how would i go about painting it? how would i cover the Honda emblem and the words on the valve cover? any help would be appreciated, thanks guys!

Comment

any high heat paint will do. heck i have done them with regualr spray paint and it held up. but its best to get 500+ degree paint. metalcast is great paint made by dupont, autozone also has high temp paint. just prep the valve cover get it to bare alumnum. sand it well get all the old crap off. clean it good with soap and water. let it dry. use high heat primer....about 3-5 coats. then use 3-5 coats of color. when done tape around the honda "H" and any other letters and use very high grite sandpaper like 800-1000 grit and lightly sand the letters so the paint comes off. wich leaves a nice polished effect to the letters giving it very nice contrast against the freshly painted v cover. if u wanted to get into it you could wetsand and all that good stuff (i do) but if u didnt know the answer to the question you asked its better off staying basic. good luck.

Comment

I had mine *professionaly* powder coated ...

91accord4door has the right idea ... but powdercoats really resist temps the best ..
                      and will def last the longest ... What my guy did was ... he didnt tape the *H* or Honda logo,
                      he simply *filed-off* the paint once he was fnished .. and walla .. the above image is what it is.

BTW .. this V/C is still for sale, and is soon gonna end up on eBay ...

A Hui Hou !!!
                      Tomi

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

thats a great idea to get it *professionaly* powder coated, i like the red crinkle er wut ever you call that color, i like the finish that it gives, this is kinda off but..Pakalolohonda how much do you want for the valve cover?
                        "
                        Fast and cheap won't be reliable
                        Cheap and reliable won't be fast.
                        And fast and reliable won't be cheap
                        "
                        ~EYCEE~

Comment

Originally posted by JDMedOUTCB7
                          thats a great idea to get it *professionaly* powder coated, i like the red crinkle er wut ever you call that color, i like the finish that it gives, this is kinda off but..Pakalolohonda how much do you want for the valve cover?
                          I sent you a PM ^ ...

A Hui Hou !!!
                          Tomi

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

best is to have access to a bead blaster
                            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

- Zipcreature
                              Awesome!

CB7. F22A. 5spd. CB7. Exedy. Chromoly. AEM. DCSports. Apexi. Progress Group. AGX. Suspension Techniques. Viberant. Goodridge. Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X