Black FMIC??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black FMIC??

Ok, I'm about to get ready for my turbo install, and I really want to keep my profile low, so that I can just cruise around until its time to unwind the beast on some lil swapped Civic or something...I'm gonna go so far as to hide my BOV by mounting it on the underside of the charge pipe, and cutting up a cone filter to stick on the charge pipe right where its gonna come up behind my battery, so it looks like a CAI or SRI, whichever. I am also gonna make a custom heat shield to cover the manifold/turbo to make it look as much like an OEM piece as possible, and I'm not gonna vent my BOV, but circulate it, the way the DSM does. I was thinking about painting my FMIC with some high-temp black paint, but then considered how the paint might interfere with it's heat conduction (as it might possibly insulate the FMIC, causing it to trap heat rather than release it through convection...) After realizing this as a possibility, I figured maybe I could get some of the mesh insert (local Pep-Boys sells APC mesh in like 12"x36" sheets) and painting the mesh black and putting it in front of the FMIC to hide its aluminum finish. I want my car boosted, but have it unnoticed by the local rice community, and also unnoticed by the trained eye, even upon close inspection. This way I don't get the reputation of having a fast car, so I can show people some CB love and also not get targeted by police. What is your opinion on what I can do to hide or camouflage my FMIC?? I want it to be unseen or at least undetectable, but still function properly. Or I can just channel air from my grille, and run the OEM DSM sidemount...opinsions PLEASE.

Sorry for such a long post on FMIC's, also not sure if this should go in the Appearance section or the Performance section, mods please move if in wrong section...
    Last edited by KoNEY; 10-03-2005, 08:59 AM.

I would just put a thin mesh grill over the opening and spray that black.

Comment

painting the very front of it won't effect much of anything...if it did then why are intercoolers so deep? FMIC's are usually about 2.5-3" deep so painting the first 1/16" of it shouldn't change any of its cooling properties. I'd thought about this also, but i've decided to just put some screen behind the stock bumper. Keeps it clean and slightly hidden. Painting it will make it very difficult to sale if that time comes. Just paint it enough to get rid of the shine...DO NOT coat it.
      Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Originally posted by midnite racer x
        painting the very front of it won't effect much of anything...if it did then why are intercoolers so deep? FMIC's are usually about 2.5-3" deep so painting the first 1/16" of it shouldn't change any of its cooling properties. I'd thought about this also, but i've decided to just put some screen behind the stock bumper. Keeps it clean and slightly hidden. Painting it will make it very difficult to sale if that time comes. Just paint it enough to get rid of the shine...DO NOT coat it.
        Means a lot to hear it from MR-X, and I think he may be correct. I just don't want to f*ck up my FMIC, and lose HP because of some dumb mistake. Thanks for the advice, and I'll keep it in mind, but let's keep opinions coming...I want to hear from the big turbo guys and see what I should really do.

Comment

I think i'd use a cheap paint that comes off easily. That way if you ever need to change it you can spray some paint thinner on, hose it off with some water and its back to new.

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

the paint wont effect it but if you dont want to paint it and you have extra coin jrc sells a black anodized 1 looks real nice and hella hard to see
            www.2camcrew.com

Comment

Black retains heat too. On an intercooler tho it may not be much of a big deal. However it is something to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by AcclipseH23
                Black retains heat too. On an intercooler tho it may not be much of a big deal. However it is something to consider.
                definately true but i was also considering this...the fins are what extract the heat from the bars, right? Well if you just paint bars and leave the fins alone you'll better your chance at not effecting the air temps.

Supposing it is a bad idea i think the most you'll lose would be 1-3whp. It wouldn't be that much of a difference is what i'm saying.

Comment

Originally posted by midnite racer x
                  definately true but i was also considering this...the fins are what extract the heat from the bars, right? Well if you just paint bars and leave the fins alone you'll better you chance at not effecting the air temps.

Supposing it is a bad idea i think the most you'll lose would be 1-3whp. It wouldn't be that much of a difference is what i'm saying.
                  Thats exactly how it works. However black retains heat. So it fins effeciency would still go down somewhat. This is in the pure physics sense tho. It may not really have much of an affect in the real world.

When you said the map was rich off boost you were not kidding.

Comment

I really appreciate all these replies, I think I'm gonna go with the blacxk sprayed FMIC, and see what I can get. Might also check out JRC to get a gander at this anodized black FMIC. Once again, thanks guys!!

Comment

Hottness!

Comment

stock

flat black

painting it black wont make a dam difference. i bet you wont even lose 1hp.

everyone always asks, so wheres your intercooler?

Comment

^ I <3 this guy ^

Comment

I rather get mine adionized but when your pushin but numbers its hard to keep it hidden

Comment

i saw this sort of thing a while ago, search around you might find it cheaper: http://custom-painting.custombike.or...osol_12_oz.htm

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                              Current cars:
                              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Working...
                              X