Proper measurements for car cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proper measurements for car cover?

My registration is about to expire on my car, and I need to put a cover on it to avoid trouble with the law.
    Does anyone know the dimensions needed? I'm looking to buy cheap (like $15 on eBay), so I want to be sure to get one that will actually fit!

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
    My registration is about to expire on my car, and I need to put a cover on it to avoid trouble with the law.
    Does anyone know the dimensions needed? I'm looking to buy cheap (like $15 on eBay), so I want to be sure to get one that will actually fit!
    I can get this for you tonight if no-one does before me.

Comment

Thank you, sir!
      And even better (this makes me happy), you responded here before anyone did on Facebook (I posted there as well.)

I found a really cheap one on ebay, shipped from an hour away (though the seller is someone that I previously gave negative feedback...) It appears to be extra large, though...
      4765mm x 1882mm x 1384mm (187.60" x 74.09" x 54.49")

It's incredible how NO car cover retailer that I'm able to find online gives the dimensions of their covers!

Comment

Thank you, sir!
        And even better (this makes me happy), you responded here before anyone did on Facebook (I posted there as well.)

I found a really cheap one on ebay, shipped from an hour away (though the seller is someone that I previously gave negative feedback...) It appears to be extra large, though...
        4765mm x 1882mm x 1384mm (187.60" x 74.09" x 54.49")

It's incredible how NO car cover retailer that I'm able to find online gives the dimensions of their covers!
        Stop using FB :P
        You could always buy a large and tuck it under the car, etc. Not sure how much coverage you want. And if you are serious for storage I would recommend a car bag (carbag.com), but they still recommend a car cover while in the bag.

Comment

Eh, the paint is just a cheap Maaco spray that will need to be redone sooner or later anyway... so I'm just going to get the cheapest possible option.

My car is currently uninsured (it's over $5000/yr for my Fit and CTS-V already!), and it's not running (fuel pump, I suspect...) I can't re-register until it's insured, and my town has a problem with uninsured cars being uncovered, even on private property. If a cop runs my plates and sees that it's uninsured, it could be towed right out of my own driveway! Or I could get fined. A cover, even a scrap of one (which is what I had covering my old 86 hatchabck) will prevent that!

So far, the responses I've gotten on Facebook have been "not sure if you're trolling, but you can go to Autozone and they'll help you.", "how about you just register your car?", and "walmart."

Very helpful people on there. I figured something like that would be well suited to Facebook... quick, easy... not like I'm asking how to rebuild a transmission! But no, the collective sluggish brain cell is overtaxed even by that simple request.

Comment

Back when I covered the Wagon it was so hard to find an adequate cover. I purchased a large heavy duty silver colored tarp with bungee cords and a bicycle lock. I still have the tarp. It now covers the Miata.

Just a thought.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
            JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

... my town has a problem with uninsured cars being uncovered, even on private property. If a cop runs my plates and sees that it's uninsured, it could be towed right out of my own driveway! Or I could get fined. ......
              What's the reasoning behind this? I'm guessing they want people to have a clean yard?

Comment

Beats me. I actually went down to the police station to ask what I could do, and they said that I'll be ok as long as the car is covered! I feel that a covered car looks WAY worse than a clean uncoverd car. I'd get it if it was on blocks or something, but it doesn't look like it can't be driven!

Comment

Mines about 20' x 10'.

Comment

What town in nj are you from again? we dont have anything like that up here in morris county, no one gives a shit lol

Comment

I bought the cheapest one on ebay I could find that was listed for 90-93 accord that had a reasonably good features in the description... it actually fits really well! "CarsCover" brand, supposedly car-specific and not just one-size-fits-all. This is the auction I got it from:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Accord...-/400849474729

there is elastic that fits under the lips of the bumpers and then there are grommets on the sides where you can run a bungee/rope across the underside of the car to hold the sides down tight. I was really happy with that purchase.
                      Last edited by cp[mike]; 01-24-2015, 01:06 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                      Current cars:
                      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Working...
                      X