Carbon Fiber hood salvation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbon Fiber hood salvation?

Can this be salvaged? And if so, should I have it clear coated when I have the rest of the car painted to make it last this time?

Last edited by uslspct; 04-01-2013, 06:02 PM.
    Metal Metal and more Metal!!!

How much does your wheel/tire combo weigh? Post here!
    -=Suicide Crew Member #1 (only member so far)=-
    MY RIDE

"I was hoping the Wolverine would finger one of those Japanese girls and then extend a claw into her b hole just for fun, BUT that never happened and I was extremely unsatisfied with the movie because of it." -Macaqueistrong

That looks bad

Prob w/CF is, from what I understand, the epoxy is the clearcoat, so once the clear coat goes, the epoxy goes, and you can't fix it

Best bet just paint it red

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

You can carbon fiber wrap it :-)

1992 Honda Accord EX My Ride Thread H23A BLUE TOP Complete

Comment

You can sell it to me. I want a carbon fiber hood to paint it. I want the weight savings but could care less for the looks.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
          You can sell it to me. I want a carbon fiber hood to paint it. I want the weight savings but could care less for the looks.
          I'll end up doing that if I can't buff this out.
          I've read elsewhere of people who refinished theirs so let's hear some more thoughts from people who have direct experience with this. I'm pretty sure it's only skin deep and that skin can be refinished.

MY RIDE

"I was hoping the Wolverine would finger one of those Japanese girls and then extend a claw into her b hole just for fun, BUT that never happened and I was extremely unsatisfied with the movie because of it." -Macaqueistrong

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
            Originally posted by uslspct View Post
            I'll end up doing that if I can't buff this out.
            I've read elsewhere of people who refinished theirs so let's hear some more thoughts from people who have direct experience with this. I'm pretty sure it's only skin deep and that skin can be refinished.
            i dont mean to be a dick fellas and correct me if im wrong but is that not a bannable comment? just sayin not looking to get anyone banned. just looking out for you guys
            visit vgruk

Comment

just start wet sanding it with like 800 and see how it goes

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
              It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

Comment

Originally posted by RyanD View Post
                i dont mean to be a dick fellas and correct me if im wrong but is that not a bannable comment? just sayin not looking to get anyone banned. just looking out for you guys
                That's for the beginner section. That's the way I see it anyhow. Deev may see it differently. That doesn't mean that non-beginner sections should be flooded with "sell me that" comments but I just wanted to let him know that what he had wasn't trash.
                My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Save the hood

I just had my carbon fiber trunk and hood recleared when I repainted the car. After my paint start started going to shit I didn't really take pictures of my car. I should have taken more before and after pictures but for some strange reason it didn't cross my mind? Here is the only picture I have that shows how bad my carbon trunk was. Just imagine that same effect on my hood right in the middle where my hot engine cooks it.

As for the Gel Coat that was originally on it, It will get yellow or milky over time and get tiny cracks etc. from the sun separating it from the weaves. It will never be perfect but you can make it look 7/10 - 8/10 with just a wet sand and re-clear. I'm very happy with the outcome of my revival and to think this was a Maaco job! *GASP*

Notice on the last picture where my flushmount and H emblem used to be. See how it's a dark grey compared to the rest of the trunk? Honestly It doesn't look bad at all since the sun kinda "yellowed out" the whole trunk and hood evenly. It almost looks like the special colored Yellow Kelvar weave hoods u can get for Civics and Integras.

I'll take better sunlight photos so you can see once this rainy weather passes through later this week. All we have is cloudy rainy skies here in California at the moment.

The hood and trunk shines like a mirror once again. The white/red things in the last hood picture was taken in the garage. It is reflecting stuff overhead and nearby but as you can see the hood is as good as new and was in pretty bad shape like my trunk before! I'd say go for it man! If you buy a new hood/trunk it will age and go to shit regardless unless your car is a garage queen and you drive it only at night. Putting more clear on a brand new hood wouldn't do any good either but seal the cheap gel epoxy clear the carbon factory put on and it will just go to shit right underneath anyways. My friends VIS hood is a good example of this when he decided to shell out for a new hood.

[img

Last edited by Warudakumi; 04-01-2013, 07:14 PM.

I am the Yakuza CB7!
                  JDM 96spec H22A 178HP 149TQ

"The JDM Fleet"

1993 Accord Sedan - 2.2 JDM H22a
                  1994 Prelude V-Tec
                  1999 CL 3.0
                  2000 Prelude
                  2010 Accord Crosstour - 3.5

1993 Mirage S Sedan - 2.0 4G63 Project Evo 2.5
                  1994 Mirage S Sedan - 1.5

1991 Isuzu Impulse RS - 1.6 AWD Turbo
                  1993 Asuna - 1.8 "CDM Impulse XS"

1993 Sentra SE-R - 2.0 SR20de
                  1995 200sx SE-R - 2.0 Sr20ve

Comment

Oh forgot to mention. How does your carbon fiber hood look when you wash your car? Does getting your hood wet make it look 100x better? Sometimes you can get any idea of how it may turn out if you wet the faded clear depending on how bad it is. But truth be told you still need to wet sand and even out the sun/heat damaged clear.

I am the Yakuza CB7!
                    JDM 96spec H22A 178HP 149TQ

"The JDM Fleet"

1993 Accord Sedan - 2.2 JDM H22a
                    1994 Prelude V-Tec
                    1999 CL 3.0
                    2000 Prelude
                    2010 Accord Crosstour - 3.5

1993 Mirage S Sedan - 2.0 4G63 Project Evo 2.5
                    1994 Mirage S Sedan - 1.5

1991 Isuzu Impulse RS - 1.6 AWD Turbo
                    1993 Asuna - 1.8 "CDM Impulse XS"

1993 Sentra SE-R - 2.0 SR20de
                    1995 200sx SE-R - 2.0 Sr20ve

Comment

Originally posted by Warudakumi View Post
                      I just had my carbon fiber trunk and hood recleared when I repainted the car. After my paint start started going to shit I didn't really take pictures of my car. I should have taken more before and after pictures but for some strange reason it didn't cross my mind? Here is the only picture I have that shows how bad my carbon trunk was. Just imagine that same effect on my hood right in the middle where my hot engine cooks it.

As for the Gel Coat that was originally on it, It will get yellow or milky over time and get tiny cracks etc. from the sun separating it from the weaves. It will never be perfect but you can make it look 7/10 - 8/10 with just a wet sand and re-clear. I'm very happy with the outcome of my revival and to think this was a Maaco job! *GASP*

Notice on the last picture where my flushmount and H emblem used to be. See how it's a dark grey compared to the rest of the trunk? Honestly It doesn't look bad at all since the sun kinda "yellowed out" the whole trunk and hood evenly. It almost looks like the special colored Yellow Kelvar weave hoods u can get for Civics and Integras.

I'll take better sunlight photos so you can see once this rainy weather passes through later this week. All we have is cloudy rainy skies here in California at the moment.

The hood and trunk shines like a mirror once again. The white/red things in the last hood picture was taken in the garage. It is reflecting stuff overhead and nearby but as you can see the hood is as good as new and was in pretty bad shape like my trunk before! I'd say go for it man! If you buy a new hood/trunk it will age and go to shit regardless unless your car is a garage queen and you drive it only at night. Putting more clear on a brand new hood wouldn't do any good either but seal the cheap gel epoxy clear the carbon factory put on and it will just go to shit right underneath anyways. My friends VIS hood is a good example of this when he decided to shell out for a new hood.

[img

You flushmount whore.

Sorry I had to

I'm with Jarrett paint it to match. Sleeper look.

steve

Comment

Originally posted by Warudakumi View Post
                        Oh forgot to mention. How does your carbon fiber hood look when you wash your car? Does getting your hood wet make it look 100x better? Sometimes you can get any idea of how it may turn out if you wet the faded clear depending on how bad it is. But truth be told you still need to wet sand and even out the sun/heat damaged clear.
                        Yes, when I wet it, it looks a lot better. So it looks like I can save this. Or rather I will pay someone else to do it. And refinish my wheels...

MY RIDE

Comment

Originally posted by Stoner51 View Post
                          You flushmount whore.

Sorry I had to

I'm with Jarrett paint it to match. Sleeper look.

steve
                          Originally I was going to do that. Less weight in the car is more important to me than looks. I didn't want to look like another Honda ricer.(Do people still use that term?)
                          But I've gotten used to it. I have black bumpers so it kinda goes with them. And when I finally do my engine build, and repaint the car, and refinish the wheels, at least I'll have some umph underneath the hood to back up the looks.

I don't care if he offered to buy it. I probably bought something from him before.

MY RIDE

Comment

Get carbon fiber wrap.
                            Or just paint it black so people can laugh at your "fake" carbon fiber hood.

Comment

Here's the cf hood I'm trying to salvage. It needs a lot of work, so I'm just sanding the crap out of it. I might end up getting fancy with it and paint a design on it....

this little little section sanded took about 2 hours to smooth out
                              Last edited by AAPOQ; 04-02-2013, 12:03 PM.

BB6->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=200445<Summer Lover
                              BD6->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=194262<Dailey/Future AutoX
                              Mazda 6s->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201313<Wifes
                              CB7->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=189108<Sold

Comment

Working...
                              X