Retrofit Audi A4 Projectors + D2C HIDs into 9293 housing, on a 91 EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retrofit Audi A4 Projectors + D2C HIDs into 9293 housing, on a 91 EX

Ok guys, I got my 9293 blackhoused housings with Audi A4 projectors and D2C HID's today. I'm going to try and mount them up, which shouldn't be a problem.. not sure if the 9091 headlight bracket will work, if not I'll grab a 9293 from the JY.

As far as wiring goes, I've got two wires.. + and -. I've determined which is which, but I need to know the proper way to wire them to my stock headlight harness.. the bulbs are only 35w each, but they do run through a ballast, but I'm not sure if that requires extra power..

What's the best/proper way to wire these into my cb7? I've already got the housings ready to go, they arrived that way.. I'll be sealing the projectors in place tonight/tomorrow morning and the projectors have the D2C/D2R bulbs already installed.

Any help is appreciated

TIA,

-mak
    Last edited by mak; 06-02-2008, 09:54 PM.

Bought From: MadSpleen85, jimy, CB7_ACCORD (kouzie), Chrisfrom1986
    Sold To: vinbon63, chessboxer, darkfusion42, LowNknoxville, bowzil, 1993hAccord, mcdizzle, 93accordfreak, lilb_1979, rocketman_471, Bad_dude
    Traded With: cb95spd, chessboxer, sohc em
    [ Completed | Pending ]

Sorry to double post, but this is what I've found.. please correct it if it's wrong so I don't install them the wrong way haha;

So, basically; I'm going to ;
    • Ground the - (negative) power cables from each ballast to the chassis of the car.
    • Run both + (positive) power cables from the ballasts to a terminal (to be decided later) on the relay.
    • Run a large power wire (I have some extra 8AWG.. that's what I'll use) with a 20a inline fuse to the + (positive) terminal on my battery.
      Run the + and - from one OEM bulb harness to + and - (opposing terminals to the + wire I ran from the ballasts earlier) to the relay.

If I do this, I'll have functioning HID's that turn on and off with my headlight switch?

-mak

Sold To: vinbon63, chessboxer, darkfusion42, LowNknoxville, bowzil, 1993hAccord, mcdizzle, 93accordfreak, lilb_1979, rocketman_471, Bad_dude
    [ Completed | Pending ]

Comment

get an hid harness off ebay its way easier
      Maple50175 - you're annoying =P
      Brandoncb7 - I don't mean to come across like an ass but I see why you irritate Aaron now.
      JoshM - Crotch rocket = chick magnet.

Comment

yes you are correct. use a 30amp automotive relay, available anywhere.

http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pa...lay_basics.htm

then run a thicker fused power wire from the battery, through a fuse, to pin #30 on the relay. then pin 87 goes to the wires to power your HIDs.

the wiring that originally went to one of the OEM headlight bulbs goes to pins 85 and 86, doesnt matter which. this will turn the relay on, which is what connects pins 30&87 together, allowing fused power to reach the HIDs.

done

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Thanks to both of you, I appreciate the replies

I was looking at those HID harnesses on ebay, but they use a 40amp relay instead of a 30.. I read somewhere that a 40amp can actually damage the ballasts, is there any truth to this?

I'd prefer to purchase the harness from ebay rather than piece it together myself, since it comes as solid lengths of wire already inside of loom, it'd make things much easier and, in my opinion, safer.. besides, it costs about the same as piecing the harness together myself.

Thoughts?

-mak

[ Completed | Pending ]

Comment

We need pics

Your car is faster, I'm the better driver

Greetz Erwin
            My last ride

Shakes and Fidget - The Game

Comment

Originally posted by lo-specials
              We need pics

I'm not done mounting them yet. I'm using a roll of pliable aluminum (basically it's thin aluminum that can be bent, twisted and plied into shape easily and without a special tool) and metal epoxy to mount and seal the projector housings into the stock stanley housings.

I've also got a large can of expanding foam, but I'm not sure if and/or how it'll get used in this project.. I'm also going to look around for a couple of rubber boots to attempt to seal off the backside of the bulb/connector, even though it's sealed pretty good already.. just want to be safe

-mak
              Last edited by mak; 09-19-2008, 03:12 PM.

[ Completed | Pending ]

Comment

Originally posted by mak

I'm not done mounting them yet. I'm using a roll of pliable aluminum (basically it's thin aluminum that can be bent, twisted and plied into shape easily and without a special tool) and metal epoxy to mount and seal the projector housings into the stock stanley housings.

I've also got a large can of expanding foam, but I'm not sure if and/or how it'll get used in this project.. I'm also going to look around for a couple of rubber boots to attempt to seal off the backside of the bulb/connector, even though it's sealed pretty good already.. just want to be safe

-mak
                Now that's what I'm talking about
                Looking good my friend

Your car is faster, I'm the better driver

Greetz Erwin
                My last ride

Shakes and Fidget - The Game

Comment

Originally posted by lo-specials

Now that's what I'm talking about
                  Looking good my friend
                  Thanks

Still curious about the 40amp relay on those ebay HID harnesses.. is it safe to use them? Should I also be concerned that some sellers use 16-18AWG cable to power those harnesses, which is smaller than the stock wiring?

-mak

[ Completed | Pending ]

Comment

dude whats up with the back of those housings? your not going to have any room to change the bulbs.
                    Maple50175 - you're annoying =P
                    Brandoncb7 - I don't mean to come across like an ass but I see why you irritate Aaron now.
                    JoshM - Crotch rocket = chick magnet.

Comment

Originally posted by slick
                      dude whats up with the back of those housings? your not going to have any room to change the bulbs.
                      That's how I got them.. 93alude cut and blackhoused them, he also did the yellow highs and blue lows.

Regardless, there'll be room.. I intend to move my battery around on the passenger's side, and there isn't much on the driver's side that'll get in the way. As for the high beams, I already can't change those without removing the lenses.. I don't think it'll be a big deal

Anyone know if it's safe to use a 40amp relay in the HID harness?

-mak

PS: These housings are identical to the ones that are already on my car.. so either my car already has 9293 housings (not likely.. since the grill matches) or these housings are 9091 and someone made a mistake somewhere down the line thinking they were 9293. This is a good thing, since the brackets I have should fit then.
                      Last edited by mak; 05-31-2008, 07:40 PM.

[ Completed | Pending ]

Comment

those are 9091 housings.

and 40amp is fine, its just the rating for its limit before itll burn up... HIDs will be pulling less than 30 so either should be fine.

and theres no reason not to just buy a full harness already, its come pre-done... unless you just feel like making one yourself.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                        Current cars:
                        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike]
                          those are 9091 housings.

and 40amp is fine, its just the rating for its limit before itll burn up... HIDs will be pulling less than 30 so either should be fine.

and theres no reason not to just buy a full harness already, its come pre-done... unless you just feel like making one yourself.
                          I guess 93alude was wrong about what year the lenses were.. but it worked out since I have a 91ex

I prefer to buy the harness premade, just needed to make sure it was safe to use.. I didn't want to end up with a harness that uses 18-20AWG wire and have issues.

I'll pick up one of the ebay harnesses.. as of right now, I've got about 10-15 more layers of aluminum to put on each headlight lens, then all I need is the wiring to get these installed

Thanks for the help everyone!

-mak

[ Completed | Pending ]

Comment

Which HID harness should I get from ebay? I see some going for fairly cheap, and some going for quite a bit.. some say they need to be spliced into a 9006 plug, others don't say if they include the plug for the 9006 stock harness, so that I can avoid cutting the stock headlight harness.

Also, is a 9006 plug the same as the plug you see on HID ballasts? They look so damned close, but I haven't tried plugging one in (yet?).. nor do I know if they're wired the same way.

Help is appreciated!

-mak

[ Completed | Pending ]

Comment

My HID harness should be here in 3-5 days. The headlights are now done. They have about 40 layers of pliable aluminum on them and two tubes of metal epoxy has been used. There is also a thick layer of 35year high temp silicon to seal them in. I've also bought gasket rubber sheeting and made custom gaskets to keep the plugs moisture-free

Picture:

Last edited by mak; 09-19-2008, 03:13 PM.

[ Completed | Pending ]

Comment

Working...
                              X