Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to find a soft foam sanding block?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to find a soft foam sanding block?

I'm at the final stage for my hood repaint, and I want to find a soft foam sanding block to do a proper wetsand. None of the auto parts stores carry such a thing, and I haven't been able to find the right thing online.

Any suggestions on what to look for, and where to look for it? Once I complete the hood, I plan on moving on to the 3rd gen hatchback!

the auto parts stores near me all sell 3m soft blocks along with the sandpaper and tape ?

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Really? Is it a chain store? I checked around here at Autozone, Advance, and Pep Boys, and got nothing. Haven't checked Napa, though.

Comment

i saw some at lowe's, but the grit was kind of course. later.
        Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Are there blocks that you can just wrap sandpaper around? I have some fine grit paper, I just want a block to even out the pressure... when I do it with my fingers, I get streaks! My first two wetsands were with my fingers (just to smooth it out... this time, the finish is important)

Comment

yeah, you can get sanding blocks made from dense rubber. you can find those at hardware stores as well as auto parts stores. later.
            Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

I wonder why I can't find them in the stores near me... I've looked at hardware stores as well! Maybe I'm not looking for the right thing?

Comment

i was certain we carry those at pep boys.. but ic ould be wrong, i dont work in retail anymore i'm out in the garage.

Comment

Lowes has em here, as well as all major chain auto parts stores

Formerly 91AccordExR33
                  11.68 @ 127mph
                  417whp/375wtq
                  Sold: 8/2016

Comment

Thanks Lee. Maybe I'm looking right past them!

Comment

even then if you don't get the right grit....you could "re-wrap" the block in your preferred sand paper.

or go to a craft store or an upholstery shop and pick up some foam that would serve your purpose.

Check out ESP engine mount kits for your CB7!!!

Comment

Yeah, all I can find is blocks made for sanding sheetrock and stuff... pre-gritted. I have a feeling that's not the best thing to use (and if I re-wrap it, and it slips... i'm painting again!)

I did drive past an automotive paint supply store today though... right here in my town! I guess I'll talk to them!

Comment

Yea go to a auto body supply place like Napa, they should carry the blocks, about 5$

this right?
                          1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by 91accordexr33
                            Lowes has em here, as well as all major chain auto parts stores

I got that (O__o) but I didnt know you could use them for that

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
                            01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
                            93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
                            93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy
                              Yea go to a auto body supply place like Napa, they should carry the blocks, about 5$

this right?
                              That's more of what I had in mind. I can't find the picture that I saw online before.

Comment

Working...
                              X