Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

EGR Port Cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EGR Port Cleaning

ok, Before you guys tell me to search, or link me the 2 DIYs + a bunch of reading on it, I have a couple questions.

My Intake Manifold Dosent Have the exact circles that I see most of you guys have. (It round at the top not flat). So i just drill in the middle of the hole? Does it just crack around the the plug or what? I read that you could shave those "welds" off and you will see an outline or brass plugs, is this true?

Where exactly are the plugs? Just on top? and you drill them out, or what? I want to put in those allen type bolts in as plugs, so i can remove and clean easier later with no drilling or anything like that. Like what are they called(so i can ask for them at lowes, home depot etc...)

Also WTF is a punch? I search "punch tool" on google, and i have never seen any tools that came up

What Sealant is used? and where? On the threads of the plug or on top? You mean like JB Weld type sealant or a anti-seeze type sealant? You dont JB weld up the top of the plug do you?

This is for a H22 intake manny. I think for the a1/4/6 there is the flat part with the visible circle. But for the H seres the isnt. How exactly do you
    Originally posted by EGR removable plugs DIY
    Knock the plugs out of the hole. what i found easiest instead of drilling them out and using a slide hammer was just knocking them all the way into the hole with hammer and punch.
    Im just soo unbelievably but yet i want to do this the right and smart way.

This is what i am talking about with the outline of the plugs not visible. (Mine essentially looks like that, someone elses pic)

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

A punch is just a metal rod with a tip at the in, you use it with a hammer so that you make a little dip in the metal and then break out drill so you have a good place to start.

"Real intelligence is like a river; the deeper it is, the less noise it makes.”

Click Me

Comment

And people buy a "tool" like that? Cant you just use a nail?

Anything on the cleaning?

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

Comment

Originally posted by JohnD1079
        I don't think you can do it on that manifold.
        The beginning of a new era............................
        165 hp 149 ft. lb. torque sohc non vtec. then....
        184 whp and 149 ft. lb. torque f20b stock now......

Comment

You mean you cannot weld up the top, or you cannot do a EGR Port cleaning on them.

This is what mine essentially looks like.

Comment

It looks kinda like someone cleaned the ports out one day and just laid on some jb-weld or something like that on top of the hole but i think u can still drill it out and clean out the ports, just not sure whats a good way to seal them up.

My Cb bad, Cb bright and the cops can kiss my Cb lights - I’m gone!
            Frost White Member 13
            My Ride
            "Girls are like a new car... lease w/ option to buy"

Comment

Sure you can drill and tap those holes......here's my H23 IM:

Start with 1/4" Bit in as close to the center as you possibly can......slowly step up to 29/64"

Then go buy a 1/2" NPT tap, tap the holes carefully (it is a little tough to get it started with the uneven faces...

Purchase these plugs and you're set:
              http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...860+115+400304

And since both the manifold and plug are aluminum, they should have roughly the same expansion rate, so a little blue thread lock and you're set
              My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

As mentioned drill it, tap it, and replace it with a bolt.

The New-ish Ride
                My old Ride
                Hear my Vtak!!!
                MK3 Member #3
                I piss off people for fun.
                IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

H manifolds always look like that. I think they came that way from the factory. But you can still do it, like that guy ^

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                  where you been, is something wrong?
                  i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Originally posted by NorcoAccord
                    A punch is just a metal rod with a tip at the in, you use it with a hammer so that you make a little dip in the metal and then break out drill so you have a good place to start.

A punch is a spring loaded hole marker. Dont use a hammer, you'll hurt yourself...

You use it to mark a spot in metal to begin drilling. Basically, youll press it down until the spring inside pops. At that point, it will feel asif the spring broke, but it actually releases its pressure, causing you to slam into the top of the metal rod protruding from the punch, which in turn creates a tiny dip in the metal you were pushing on.

Its a great tool, highly recommended. However, If you only need it for this, just use the hammer and nail I suppose.

Comment

If you but thread locker, how do you get them out next time?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnD1079
                        If you but thread locker, how do you get them out next time?
                        threadlock comes in various strengths, denoted by the color. some only provide a little bit of stick to hold the bolt in, while the harder ones make it hard to remove... get the medium, it seals and holds it, but is removable/reusable.

i <3 the glues and sealers rack at autozone. lot of cool variations on stuff like this, i like to pick out random ones to try out lmao

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                        Current cars:
                        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by 19dabeast85
                          And since both the manifold and plug are aluminum, they should have roughly the same expansion rate, so a little blue thread lock and you're set
                          Blue thread lock is medium strength
                          My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

this link should be helpful:

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...&highlight=egr

Comment

Originally posted by HondaTuner808
                              A punch is a spring loaded hole marker. Dont use a hammer, you'll hurt yourself...

You use it to mark a spot in metal to begin drilling.

That's a *centre punch*....not a punch.
                              2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
                              Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
                              1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

Working...
                              X