Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Breathers??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breathers??

I looked and asked all over but couldnt find anything... What exactly are breathers and what do they do??
    My Black "H"
    AL Meet!?

//Secret G2I Lover, Shhhhhhh! //

its just a mini air filter. used for small ports that need to be ventilated/open to the air, but dont want dirt getting into it.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

OH I see... Do they do anything performance wise??.. And where do you put them?
      My Black "H"
      AL Meet!?

//Secret G2I Lover, Shhhhhhh! //

Comment

well they alow you to eliminate the line that alows hot air into the intake from the head ... helps decrease the air temp coming in to the motor... theirs also a few other things you can also do to decrease the air temp... like bypassing the coolant lines that run into your TB, a cold air intake, wraping your exaust, adding an intercooler to your cold air intake
        white 92 ACCORD 4 door ----- dead and gone
        tytianum grey 02 ECLIPSE GT- alive and well

Comment

Originally posted by ex_style90
          OH I see... Do they do anything performance wise??..
          No.

and

No you didnt look here

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=breathers

or here

or here

This topic has been beat to death. If your looking for something click the search button on every page of this fourm and type lets say "breather". I cant just say search for it, this is the beginers side of the site, but I can say atleast if you say you searched for it make sure you actualy used the search feature. Thanks Hope these links help

Anyway... here goes. Breathers are little filters that are used to basicly make your engine bay look pretty. There is a hose that goes from your air intake to your valve cover. People put the little filters there because they think that hot air from the engine compartment is better than recycled air with alittle oil in it. There is no real advantage to those breathers. If you want to keep oil out of your intake just use a catch can. They are cheap and easy to make. plus they look cooler than those little breathers to anyone who actualy knows cars. Anyway, no one has actualy dyno'd a car before and after breathers that shows any worthwhile gains. Its garbage people sell to other people. as a side note the breather put on the valve cover is just gunna get fouled with oil and the one on the intake will just get fouled with dirt and dust so you might as well just put a rubber stopper in the air intake hole. Then all your doing is spraying oil out the top of your valve cover.... oh well.
          Last edited by Akira_kj; 06-23-2007, 03:52 AM.
          I cant Slam further. The ground refuses to get any lower.

Comment

what's this "catch can" they mentioned on one of those thread links???

*Needs*
            -New shocks
            -Struts
            -Drop
            -Cleaning
            -New Tires/Wheels
            -New Window Tint
            -Alot more lovin'

My Panda:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ghlight=Djmoua

Comment

IMO I dont think those breathers are really all that useful.

SOLD!!
              Boosted H22
              375whp 298 ft/lbs at 15psi

MEMBERS RIDE THREAD<<<CLICK FOR VIDS AND COOL PICS

Comment

Originally posted by mozzandherb
                IMO I dont think those breathers are really all that useful.
                Because they are not.

Comment

if i were u id go with the catch can.. or just cap them off... i only have them to cover open holes... i cant use the stock tubing anymore and a friend had some of thoes breathers laying around... free stuff is always good ... like my AEM intake, its made for a CRX but it fits and was FREE
                  white 92 ACCORD 4 door ----- dead and gone
                  tytianum grey 02 ECLIPSE GT- alive and well

Comment

Valve cover breather... NO!!!!

I have heard from a few friends with a lot of experience with Honda that the worst thing to do for your engine (especially vtec) is to put a breather on the line on the far left side of the valve cover. Tons of people have them there and don't reallies that line is there to keep your cams cool. When you take out the line connected to the intake (taking in cool air) and replace it with a breather (sucking in hot air) you can cause many problems with your upper end. I would completely say no to a breather there, even if you have one for it already!!!

201 Whp H22a with bolt ons, see the progress from stock f22a to now HERE

Comment

Yea but if you have a short ram intake your still atking in hot air? so your saying if you have a short ram it don't matter cuz eithe way its hot air.

SO your post(ghetto cb7) wasn't really that helpful.
                      No longer have a cb7.

V6 POOOWAAAA

lol, a buick.

Comment

Short ram is still further away from the engine then the breather would be

Aside from that it has much more flow then the breather would give it and that will help keep it cooler.

201 Whp H22a with bolt ons, see the progress from stock f22a to now HERE

Comment

I've never heard that about the breather before... but I'm definitely going to look into that!

OCR, what do you mean about adding an intercooler to your intake? Intercoolers do nothing for NA setups. Turbo and superchargers benefit from them, and sometimes require them... but the only thing any sort of intercooler would do for NA would be to slow down the airflow. A cold air intake sucking air from the fenderwell will bring just as much cool air into the engine as any sort of creatively plumbed intercooler intake setup... with far less restriction.

Comment

Working...
                          X