Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Turbo install: What to do with the front engine mount?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo install: What to do with the front engine mount?

Hi, I'm doing the DSM turbo thing in my '92 four door and see that I need to remove the front engine mount to make it work. Will I need to fab up a brace to replace the stock mount, or can I just remove it and leave it alone? I'm not shooting for big power since the car and the turbo stuff was free (into the whole thing for about $90 so far, and $50 of that was registration), and will most likely just run whatever the "stock" boost is.

I tried searching, but the search function came up with some error about not enough memory or something. Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by BL2CM-510; 11-01-2006, 07:00 AM.

lots of people on here run turbo without the front mounts, you will be ok, although some do fab somthing custom up, but its really u p to u, you can make the rear engine moutn more solid with the polyurathane mount fill that they got in the diy section i rec that. Your sided mounts are the ones that hold the motor from dropping down and the back and front are the ones that hold the motor in place when you get up and go. But it wont do anything if you dont use the front one or custom the back one.

Comment

Cool, thanks for the quick reply, especially so early in the morning. I'd kind of figured the mount was one of those "200,000 mile parts" and wasn't too worried, but I figured I'd ask the people that have actually done it.

Comment

you need to research it before you do anything turbo if not ur going to run into some problems.
        here some good sites to help you
        howstuffworks.com
        homemadeturbo.com
        the performance tech forced induction section on this site
        ~Nick~
        FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
        MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Hi Grumpy. Thanks for the helpful links. However, I'm not a turbo newbie. I've got the rest under control, but I've just never boosted an Accord before and wanted to get my dope straight before I removed a "mission essential" part. I see every car being different with it's own particular nuances, and while I've removed mounts for the sake of space in the past, I always like to be sure before I do something like that. When my "newbie" status goes away, I look forward to posting in the rest of the boards, and learning from you guys and helping where I can.

Comment

If you can just get a topmount. Makes life so much easier!

Comment

You don't need to make/buy a new mount. The only difference is you'll notice the engine itself rocks back and forth a little bit more when you shift. To fit the turbo set up in the engine bay your going to have to shave where the mount meets the block.

I've riden in a few cars with polyurathane filled mounts and it can make for an uncomfortable ride. you might want to keep that in mind if this is going to be your daily driver.

The honda i turboed was on the road for more then a year with no mount and it was fine.

good luck
              "Auto racing, bull fighting and mountain climbing are the only real sports....all others are games."
              - Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Preludetuner- haha... I contemplated it, but I really like how the car looks- metallic grey, unpainted bumpers, four doors, stock 185/70's on 14" steelies without hubcaps. Basically, it's about as non- descript as you can get. I've done the "lookit me" Honda thing, and this thing is just my DD anyway. I'd rather put $1500 into my truck for an ARB locker than $1500 for wheels and tires for the Accord.

Rusty- Thanks for the info. I'd heard some grinding was involved.
                Last edited by BL2CM-510; 11-01-2006, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by preludetuner94
                  He's talking about the motor mount, not the intercooler.

Comment

i ran my car forever without a front mount (it doesnt actually support the motor up, its reduces torsion). i would suggest trying to fab SOMETHING up, the motor does move quite a bit. Filling the other 3 mounts with poly is a good idea too.

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                      He's talking about the motor mount, not the intercooler.
                      Nope I'm talking about a top-mount manifold.

So much easier to work on then the standard manifolds.

Comment

Originally posted by preludetuner94
                        i was thinking the same thing. he is referring to a top mounted manifold deevergote. vs a bottom mount or sidewinder. i personally wouldn't go without the mount. for the engine does rock quite a bit. the rear mainly is what holds the rocking but why would honda but a front mount there if it did nothing.
                        91 Ex CB9
                        JDM h22 auto swap, now w/H23 5spd conversion, short ram intake w/K&N filter, DC ceramic header, 2.25" custom catback exhaust, AMR Engineering coilovers, 205/50/16's Enkei RS5's, front slotted rotors, Xenon body kit.

W.I.P.
                        p72 ecu on Hondata

To Come
                        Weight Reductions
                        R33 or R34 front end

Comment

fill the rear with urethane, or fab something up... RENR used a piece of a toyota mount and made it so the bushing sec ---- nevermind let me just get a picture:

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/we...ZmQzMXk1NDE%3D

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                          Current cars:
                          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by flight50
                            i was thinking the same thing. he is referring to a top mounted manifold deevergote. vs a bottom mount or sidewinder. i personally wouldn't go without the mount. for the engine does rock quite a bit. the rear mainly is what holds the rocking but why would honda but a front mount there if it did nothing.
                            I'd have to agree. The torque mount is just that, the torque mount. Besides the more the engine moves, the power you loose to the wheels. It will take more to push the wheels.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
                            JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

Definitely fab something to keep the motor from torquing. I took my front motor mount off during a rebuild and didn’t put it back on in preparation for the turbo, during hard acceleration I heard a huge thud and my engine stopped. It snapped the shitty driver side motor mount, made my engine fall onto my control arm, and snapped my timing belts. Luckily, no bent valves, but it still sucked!

If you decide to go without anything, take off your hood and look at how much the engine moves when you drive, it will scare you.

<by the way, are there any aftermarket motor mounts for our cars, I havent found any>?

turbo wagon sleeper

Comment

Working...
                              X