Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Is a swap really that diffucult?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is a swap really that diffucult?

Is a swap really that diffucult? hard to do menny of you have done swaps and im looking to do the same is it really that dificult-hard?
    i would rather be dead and cool then alive and uncool.

having done my first honda swap last week, i would say its not "hard" but if its your first time. you should plan for a lot of downtime so you dont have to rush things. take your time, get the right tools, and keep your cool and you will be fine

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

Originally posted by Accord R33
      having done my first honda swap last week, i would say its not "hard" but if its your first time. you should plan for a lot of downtime so you dont have to rush things. take your time, get the right tools, and keep your cool and you will be fine
      Boy, what a nice lookin' engine.....I wonder who in the world helped with that?....Oh yeah, that's right, I did...werrrddd

Comment

if youre comfortable working on the car, its really not hard, just time consuming. like if you can swap out an alternator, fix leaking gaskets, stuff like that, youll be able to manage a swap. like eric said, just make sure you are willing to buy the proper tools, and you have the time and patience to do it - for example, to replace anything in the engine bay, you need to disconnect everything leading to it. like to replace the alternator you disconnect the wires, loosen the tensioner, remove the belts, THEN you get to remove the unit itself... imagine that times 100. its all easy stuff... just lots of it.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

yea, rushing any swap is a fucking pain in the ass. you really dont need to be super mechanical advanced, but it would help.

hard, id say its a 5, on a scale from 1-10. its just time consuming and a PITA if you dont have eveything you need.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

It realy isnt that hard if you have air tools and a cherry picker. I strongly suggest reading up on it, espcialy on here, they have good info on the wires and what to do. Deffinalty dont rush it like they said and plan some down time, and have extra money on your hand. Do all the water pump and timing belt, and you'll have to check for leaks after a swap, ever swap i have down, there was always a hose that would leak because it needed tighting. But it is worth it and I would say with all the stuff, it isnt that hard.
            H22a they always smile before Vtec....

VIDEO WATCH ME!!!!
            My Members Ride Check It Out

Comment

It was easier than I thought. I did a head gasket and timing belt on my eclipse and that was harder than the engine swap. Depends on how much experience you have. If youve done stuff like timing belt change, and head gasket, or maybe tranny swap, then this shouldnt be a problem. If the most youve ever done is an intake, you shouldve got your work cut out for you. Not that you cant do it, just read through the swap diy and maybe find a buddy with more mechanical skill.

Comment

Originally posted by 92BLACKEX
                It realy isnt that hard if you have air tools and a cherry picker. I strongly suggest reading up on it, espcialy on here, they have good info on the wires and what to do. Deffinalty dont rush it like they said and plan some down time, and have extra money on your hand. Do all the water pump and timing belt, and you'll have to check for leaks after a swap, ever swap i have down, there was always a hose that would leak because it needed tighting. But it is worth it and I would say with all the stuff, it isnt that hard.
                theres no need for a mexican, but one would be helpfull

ive done 1 swap with air tools, and 3 without. there was a time difference of maybe 1 hour, if that. the place air tools really come into great use would be taking the axle nut off, but thats about it.

a set of deep sockets, a wrench, a few extensions, 36mm axle nut socket, custom breaker bar, jacks, jack stands, needle nose pliers, engine hoist, or a tree and pullies with rope, is all you really need.

Comment

Lol we used the air tools for everything, engine mounts and anything that can be reached, took about less that an hour to pull out my F22a6.
                  Last edited by 92BLACKEX; 09-05-2006, 05:47 PM.
                  H22a they always smile before Vtec....

VIDEO WATCH ME!!!!
                  My Members Ride Check It Out

Comment

Thanks fellas.

Comment

Theres also ways around certain tools. For example I didnt have a chery picker when I took my engine out. Instead I jacked up the car, secured a chain to the engine and secured the chain to the celing with a cable jack. (there was a big pice of wood in the celing). Then just use a cable jack and jack the engine up and drop the car down and move the car back a bit.
                      Been a long time. Still alive...

Comment

when i did my swap, i did the ghetto version of getting your engine out and thats with lots of blocks and 2 skateboards. gotta use what you have

make sure you have a giant roll of paper towels (or lots of cloths) and buckets to catch whatever drips

take your time and don't rush anything, try to remmeber which hose/switch goes where

Comment

I have a full shop and all the tool . im a chevy guy making a transformation to honda so i have the knowlege. pulled menny honda motors just never done a swap.

Comment

oohhh, you're in kent. damn, more and more washington people are popping up. Im yakima.

Comment

I lived in sela wa in the mid 90's to hot in the summer and to cold in the winter for me.
                              Last edited by sefjeff; 09-06-2006, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X