Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

CV joint won't go all the way in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV joint won't go all the way in

can anybody tell why a cv joint wont go in all the way? i have an h22 lsd tranny and its just the drivers side shaft thats giving me the headache.

Its prob not lined up with the Splines. Turn it a lil and push it in or you can just grab a soft face hammer and tap it in. SOFT FACE not a REGULAR hammer.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

A regular hammer wont hurt it unless you somehow hit the CV joint itself(dont really see that as possible since the boot is in the way and the bearings are inside the cup/housing). I've never had a problem with this method.
      -Kevin

1988 Honda Civi- D15B VTEC Dac Biet, my "race car"
      1992 Honda Accord LX: DD until I finish school

Comment

i think its lining up with them because it locks up. it goes almost all the way in maybe an inch stick out. i tried the hammer thing too and that didnt work but i did notice that i had the marks from the splines in the tranny on the tip of the cv

Comment

You use a regular hammer to bang it in you risk mushrooming the axle nut side UNLESS you screw on the axle nut flush with the threads and hit it but I still dont recommend it. I just twisted mine a lil and pushed it hard and it went in. I rarely use the hammer.

The New-ish Ride
          My old Ride
          Hear my Vtak!!!
          MK3 Member #3
          I piss off people for fun.
          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

There is a ring on the spline, that when you press it in enough, it compresses, and when it goes all the way in, the ring uncompresses and snaps into a groove.

I never said anything about hitting the actual spline that sticks out(why would you hit that to make the axle go in?). Plus, if its already half in, theoretically it's already aligned(unless the splines in the knuckle or shaft are messed up).

Is it the part that goes into the knuckle or the part that goes into the intermediate shaft that's giving you the problem?
            I had somewhat the same situtation on my CRX, the driver side went in easy, but the passenger side took a little more work.
            Last edited by K2e2vin; 08-08-2006, 11:11 AM.
            -Kevin

1988 Honda Civi- D15B VTEC Dac Biet, my "race car"
            1992 Honda Accord LX: DD until I finish school

Comment

happens often. i usually put the end of a breaker bar on the edge of the CV joint (yes, itll be sitting on the rubber boot), and tap on the back of the bar with a small sledge. neither the edge of the CV joint nor the breaker bar is sharp enough to cut into the boot, and it usually gives enough force to get the snap ring to pop all the way in. i have done this tons of times and never once hurt the boot, just be careful.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
              Current cars:
              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Last time I did this I gave it about 5 pushes, got angry, then gave it 1 angry push. That one worked, but it was hard work.
                1993 Accord Coupé
                1989 RX7 Turbo II
                1989 Charade Turbo

Comment

try to get the axle as level with the ground as possible. sometimes you just have to wiggle them bitches in.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy
                    try to get the axle as level with the ground as possible. sometimes you just have to wiggle them bitches in.
                    as perpendicular to the tranny as possible, you mean

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                    Current cars:
                    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike]
                      as perpendicular to the tranny as possible, you mean
                      Is the glass half-full or half-empty? Same as it being parallel to the ground, given the car is level/parallel to the ground.
                      1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

w/e, lol. smart ass. i usually lift both sides up of the car when i work on it. so for me, its level to the ground.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

had the same problem... used a breaker bar and tore the boot, had to re do the boot

im not saying dont use a breaker, just be really careful

you could try hitting the other end with a rubber mallet, it got my drivers side axle in, just once again be careful

Comment

ok i bought another one just in case that one is damaged but i havent tried again yet. i'll try again tomorrow and let everyone know what i get

Comment

breaker bar and hammer and a little tapping will work... thats how I did it.
                              Sky rockets in flight..... afternoon deeeelight!!

Comment

Working...
                              X