Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Regular Intake, Short-ram Intake, Cold-Air Intake... wha??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regular Intake, Short-ram Intake, Cold-Air Intake... wha??

Hey guys, I'm still a rookie when it comes to this stuff so I'm wondering what the basic difference is between the different types of intakes??

Their is quite a price difference between them and was wondering, how much is it worth it to do Regular intake over Short-Ram or vice versa?

I've heard lots of mixed things such as ''all you're really paying for is the chrome piping and that's about it.''

Also some say just to stick with the stock air-box that comes with a new accord (That's what I'm rolling with right now) and put a K&N filter in it. Can some one do me a favor and please help me out with these??

Short Ram intake helps you get up quicker, Cold Air intake gives you a little higher top end if I remember correctly

Comment

3 types of intakes. Home-Made (filter attached to stock tubing), short-ram, CAI (cold-air). CAI should get you around 7hp whereas a short-ram will get you around 4hp-5hp. CAI would need to be coupled with a bypass-valve incase your filter submerges in water (the filter on a CAI is near the front fender exposed).

Honestly, go on eBay and buy a cheap ass short-ram intake and simply buy a new K&N filter from AutoZone or whatever. You only really need the tubing. Don't buy AEM or Injen or whatever. Ripoff. For a quick 5hp, it is cheap. This is what I am doing.

generic short-ram
      generic strut tower bar
      hid bulbs all around
      amber bumper + clear corners (soon to be amber)

Comment

So not worth it to spend money on brand name short-ram intakes? Just get the regular air intakes??

Comment

Originally posted by '93EX
          Honestly, go on eBay and buy a cheap ass short-ram intake and simply buy a new K&N filter from AutoZone or whatever. You only really need the tubing. Don't buy AEM or Injen or whatever. Ripoff. For a quick 5hp, it is cheap. This is what I am doing.
          yeah true.. brand names doesn't give extra horses. they're basically the same thing.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
          1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
          2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
          2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
          2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
          2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

I like the Search-Ram intakes.

I just got an ebay SR with the tubing to make it a CIA for summer time and then a K&N.

Comment

I don't feel right quoting HP figures for an intake swap. In any case, an aftermarket intake will dramatically change the sound of your car at wide open throttle. You may get a few ponies, and a bit better mileage but any difference would be nominal at best. Tipically a long CAI will not sacrifice the bottom end torque that the stock piece maintains, but does not offer a nice pull at the top end like a short ram might.

Your best bet is to couple a CAI or SRI with an aftermarket header and a catback system for some gains. Increase the flow efficiency in and out of the engine, and you can increase power. After those mods are done, maybe a fuel-pressure riser to bump up the PSI at the injectors. All relatively cheap mods imo.....
              1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

Honestly, I've had both a CAI and a SRI, and I didn't feel great gains with either of them honestly...maybe a little in the higher end, but that's about it.

My SRI was a generic $30 Ebay one with a 3" diameter.

I recently upgraded to an AEM CAI with K&N filter. While it did improve noticeably over the SRI, it wasn't night and day. I'd say you're seeing maybe 2 whp at most with one of these? I dunno honestly.

There are reasons why some people go with the name brands over the generics. For some people its the status of having a name brand (kinda my reason ), but for people in Cali for example, the AEM has the EO and CARB numbers, making them legal for street use. I've also heard that the better companies do research into their piping, which the knock offs sometimes just use piping that fit.

So in the end honestly it comes down to weather or not its worth the extra funds to have a name piece. You probably won't even notice a difference, as long as you have a good filter on there.

Comment

actually i got a sri and i feel really good gains and on WOT it roars so thats a good upgrade for the money i spent on it. its an aem because i like buying from trusted companes over ebay
                  http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=104311]
                  my members page
                  my myspace
                  my car domain

Comment

I did have a sr intake it was good made that loud growl. But I have gotten rid of that now I have stock air box with Fram air hog and got rid of the duct pipes and resonator It works as good or even better than my intake and It has a nice growl noise too

Comment

i think its funny tho cause when i drive normal it just sounds like a family car but at WOT is sounds almost like a muscle car roaring. i cant get enough of the sound.
                      my members page
                      my myspace
                      my car domain

Comment

Originally posted by 92Lxsleeper
                        actually i got a sri and i feel really good gains and on WOT it roars so thats a good upgrade for the money i spent on it. its an aem because i like buying from trusted companes over ebay
                        FYI, there are also thousands of trusted companies that sell noname intakes, and also scammers who sell name brand ones.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                        Current cars:
                        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

ya i dont mean tere not trusted or that their crap or anything, i just mean like companies that u alwasy see in mags and on sponsor cars. no offense saying that just because its a no name brand dosent mean its crappy.
                          Last edited by 92Lxsleeper; 07-14-2006, 02:23 PM.
                          my members page
                          my myspace
                          my car domain

Comment

Your Paying For Brand And Carb Exemption! Period!

Comment

i no i am paying for the brand and carb exemption but if thats what i or others want to do then whats the point in getting angry ?
                              my members page
                              my myspace
                              my car domain

Comment

Working...
                              X