Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

An examination of the ongoing CAI vs. SRI debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An examination of the ongoing CAI vs. SRI debate

So I'm looking to buy an aftermarket open-element air intake for my car and I start searching for a good brand CAI to go with- looks like it would be AEM, but I find out people have so many different opinions on the subject of whether a Cold Air Intake (CAI) or a Short Ram Intake (SRI) is better and started readin more..
    Arrrgh it's so tough to figure out...I keep going back and forth trying to come to a decision on it. I've read a bit from my book and from the forums here- problem is that everyone says something different- whether CAI or SRI is better, it seems to depend on the person.
    This is what I've gathered so far:

Advantages/Disadvantages to SRI:
    - Shorter, more straight intake pathway for air
    - Air Filters for these are thinnder and flow better
    - thinner filters are more likely to suck in harmful particles
    - at lower speeds or from idle, more heat stays in engine bay
    - Intake position is closer to the engine and higher up= more prone to heat
    - Depending on how close to the engine the SRI is, the more heat generated at high speeds may still be reaching the intake, regardless of amount cool engine bay airflow
    - Intake position is better for avoiding sucking up water

Advantages/Disadvantages to CAI:
    - Filter still flows much bteer than stock
    - Because the filter is lower and farther from engine heat, it is likely to be in a position in the engine bay that receives better airflow, and get more cold air
    - The lower position of the filter makes it prone to sucking up water
    - The longer and more curved intake pathway causes air to have to travel farther and is more restrictive than the SRI
    - Filter is not as thin as SRI filters, hence doesn't flow better
    - Thicker filter keeps out harmful particles better

At higher speeds, I would think both will eventually get optimal airflow, one just will reach it faster- which one is hard to say.
    Because the SRI is always closer to the engine AND higher up (heat rises...) than the CAI, it seems it is always possible to suck in more hot air with the SRI. Wile the SRI has a higher possibility of taking in hot air, the CAI piping is more restrictive of airflow, but because it is more prone to cooler air, that air takes in will be more densely packed. Aside from that, another thing I wonder about is just how much better the differnt kind of filters on the SRIs flow.
    It's hard to say how much power these differences account for.

Personally, based on what I've read and reasoned out myself I think presented with a choice between CAI or SRI- no custom jobs, I'd pick the CAI only because it filters out more dirt and is in a position to take in more cool air.

The best air intake though seems like it would be a custom SRI, with air tubing that would route air from the position where a CAI would go, lower behind the bumper, to the intake filter which would have a heatsheild around it.

Anyways, so that this isn't just another CAI vs. SRI thread maybe someone could tell me also how much better the H22 prelude CAI flows and whether it would be worth going for for my stock '91 EX over an AEM CAI (assuming it will still fit?)

i appreciate the research youve put into this.

one thing you forgot to mention, is the bypass valve for CAIs. nobody specifically lists the details of how one works, but this is my understanding: rubber flappers stay shut while the main filter is flowing freely, but when water is sucked up and air intake is choked at the filter creating more of a vacuum in the pipe, the flappers open and it sucks air in through the bypass filter instead.

some say you lose a bit of power, but the peace of mind not worrying about hydrolock would be worth it IMO.

as for the prelude CAI, the prelude intake pipes are generally a bit bigger in diameter, either .25"-.5" to match the larger throttle body. if youre staying f22, just get the accord cai.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Good write up.

''The best air intake though seems like it would be a custom SRI, with air tubing that would route air from the position where a CAI would go, lower behind the bumper, to the intake filter which would have a heatsheild around it.''

That a great idea and i'm going to do that right away :P

Comment

I say you just get an AC, and pump the cold air into your intake.

(jk)

Comment

Yeah totally forgot about the bypass valve and if it really does work if you hit a puddle then I'd say it's def. worth it.

I think what I was really lookin for in makin this post was for those who have CAI or SRI to tell us what they think of each, also to see if my reasoning about my personal choice of the CAI makes sense, and if ppl agree about my idea of what the ideal setup would be.

Comment

I bought one of the eBay ones that can function as both a CAI and SRI and I also got a bypass valve. From running it in all three configurations (SRI, CAI w/ bypass, CAI w/o bypass), I found that I prefer the CAI w/o a bypass valve.

The bypass valve got in the way a little bit and I just didn't much of a need for it; bypass valves only work if the entire filter is submerger, which means I'd have to be in at least 16" or so of water.
            - Ghosty
            WTB: MAP sensor (2+bar), IAT sensor, ECU & dizzy harness plugs... PM me!
            FS: coupe window rain guards, f22a6 intake & ex mani, cams, PT6 ECU, valve cover, dizzy caps, OEM fogs... PM me!

Comment

nice writeup ive been debating btwn a cai and sri ass well people talkin about that hydrolock kinda got me wanting to go sri tho even tho u can get the bypass value
              THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

A FRIEND IN NEED IS A FRIEND INDEED MY JAPANEASE IS BETTER
              MY RIDE

Comment

Originally posted by Morbidlife
                nice writeup ive been debating btwn a cai and sri ass well people talkin about that hydrolock kinda got me wanting to go sri tho even tho u can get the bypass value
                If you're going to go SRI, do the DIY method using your stock airbox hose.

Honestly, hydrolock is not as big a threat as people think.
                - Ghosty
                WTB: MAP sensor (2+bar), IAT sensor, ECU & dizzy harness plugs... PM me!
                FS: coupe window rain guards, f22a6 intake & ex mani, cams, PT6 ECU, valve cover, dizzy caps, OEM fogs... PM me!

Comment

All I have to add to this is .. the AEM SRI I have, was the best money spent so far.

Dollar for dollar .. it's the best and most inexpensive mod to date .. period!

A Hui Hou !!!
                  Tomi

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                  http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Also, remember that its much harder to clean a CAI filter.

The difference of gain between the two is so marginal that youre wasting your time, may as well start researching F/I cause thats what youll want eventually.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                    "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                    "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Originally posted by PakaloloHonda
                      All I have to add to this is .. the AEM SRI I have, was the best money spent so far.

Dollar for dollar .. it's the best and most inexpensive mod to date .. period!

A Hui Hou !!!
                      Tomi
                      Where do you feel it provides more power- I'm guessing mid-range to top-end?

Comment

Originally posted by starchland
                        Also, remember that its much harder to clean a CAI filter.

The difference of gain between the two is so marginal that youre wasting your time, may as well start researching F/I cause thats what youll want eventually.
                        lol good point- I just have a tendency to over-analyze things
                        I think you're right though since the power gain isn't but a few hp
                        What I keep wondering is where on the rev range those few hp come in, and I'm leaning towards SRI=high end while CAI=more low-end
                        Last edited by phunkatek; 06-25-2006, 07:35 PM.

Comment

I got an sri for $20 out of a junkyard from a 91 SE CB7.
                          It has the hollow cone filter, and I get better gains than my friends AEM SRI, but the funny thing is IDK what brand it is. There is no sticker so I'm guessing Egay, but it works good IMO
                          (RIP)1993 LX Sedan
                          Frost White Crew Member #36

JDM Beating Stick Owner #1
                          My (old) Ride

Comment

Originally posted by phunkatek
                            lol good point- I just have a tendency to over-analyze things
                            I think you're right though since the power gain isn't but a few hp
                            What I keep wondering is where on the rev range those few hp come in, and I'm leaning towards SRI=high end while CAI=more low-end
                            I'm going to get a CAI and put this low end vs. high end theory to the test...I think it's all the same shit, to be honest. The CAI will make more power because it's pulling air from outside the engine compartment...right now I have no heatshield on my header and I have a bootleg SRI setup, and when it gets hot out my car is a dog. I'm almost certain a CAI will help me out greatly.

Originally posted by lordoja
                            im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Best way to figure this one out is to just test it out yourself and be your own judge.

...adjust accordingly

Comment

Working...
                              X