Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

No start when hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No start when hot

1992 Accord EX , Starts fine when cold but when it reaches operating temperature and I try to start it just spits, pops, backfires, might start if I keep trying long enough. Fuel pressure is I believe normal between 38 and 43 lbs. when running , When I try to start it is about 43 lbs. When it won't start I have good blue fire to spark plug that I checked. Search seems to point toward "main Relay" but being as I have fuel and fire I wonder about that. Any body have anything like this happen to them? Thanks.

If it's the main relay you won't hear the fuel pump come on. That may help ya. Besides the main relay it could be the ignitor in the distributor but you are 99% right there on the main relay.
    Just grab one off the internet and pop it in or fix the old one.

Comment

I had the same problem with my accord and it wound out being the distributor. My car would start up and run ok, then once engine temp got to normal it started to act up. EZ check put another distributor in from the junk yard. You might check for possible oil leaks from the seals inner and outer seals. Look inside cap and bottom for oil.

Comment

Key to on position and fuel pump runs for 2 seconds whether engine starts or not. I took cap off and no oil in the cap. Thank you for replies.

Comment

Could also be your ground wires too. Check the transmission one for sure and under the fuse box one.

Comment

I will check the grounds. Thanks for reply.

Comment

I checked grounds and it started fine several times when hot. Has not started when hot since this trouble started. Thank you for your help. Now all I got to do is go someplace and see if I make it home.

Comment

I had this same problem, intermittent starting problems, as well as smoke out the intake, would stumble on acceleration up to 2.5 k rpms then jump to normal, mine ended up being the dizzy, despite being replaced 10k miles ago.

Comment

Any updates on what the root cause was?

Comment

9 times out of 10, this is caused by the IGNITER module inside of the distributor. It is replaceable, but many people just replace the entire distributor in one shot. Glad you got it figured out!

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                    Current cars:
                    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Once I monkeyed with the grounds in engine compartment Car ran fine for a month. But one day the wife was going to drive it to work as I was going to work on her car, I started it for her and and shut it off after 5 minutes after a trip to mail box. When she was to leave in a few minutes it would not start again. Pops, sputters ,backfires etc, I cleaned the grounds again and now it has been working. I did rob an igniter out of 96 DL with same Tec dist as mine and will try that next if it fails to start when hot. My Tach never acts strange. Ihave correct fuel pressure and I have fire, not sure if I have fire when I should have fire tho.

Comment

I recommend two things, replace the whole dizzy with a quality one if problems persist. And clean your grounds and even add some dielectric grease

Comment

Working...
                        X