Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Your gas gauges and what they say...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone also notice, when gas is low and you hit on the brakes, the gas gauge plumits to the ground.
    1992 Accord LX CB9 149K Stock
    2014 F350 Platinum CCSB SRW

Comment

best i ever got was 34 on the highway..f22a1 with 296k on the odometer

does anyone else not fill up their fuel tank?? some people on here talk about going down to half a tank, then filling it up..dont they know that the extra weight is pointless?? i just use the bottom half of my tank, and very infrequently do i fill up my tank..

Comment

Originally posted by mondojackal
        best i ever got was 34 on the highway..f22a1 with 296k on the odometer

does anyone else not fill up their fuel tank?? some people on here talk about going down to half a tank, then filling it up..dont they know that the extra weight is pointless?? i just use the bottom half of my tank, and very infrequently do i fill up my tank..
        I mean a gallon of gas weighs 6.3# or so, 50 extra pounds doesn't make that big of a difference when you compare it to the other 3000+ # your car has to lug around. Plus it's better to keep the tank somewhat full as the fuel pump works a lot harder when the tank is empty. I noticed my car used to take longer to start when my gas was low, and a few times when it was really empty the car just wouldn't start even though I had drove it home without any problems...

And asleepz my gas gauge does that too, especially near E. It goes up on uphills/acceleration and goes down on downhills/deceleration, which would lead me to believe the tank is hinged at the back of the car and weighed with a spring from the top? I dunno. The gauge is useless though. The halfway mark is more like the 3/4 mark for me.

Originally posted by lordoja
        im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy
          It goes up on uphills/acceleration and goes down on downhills/deceleration, which would lead me to believe the tank is hinged at the back of the car and weighed with a spring from the top? I dunno.
          WTF??!

The tank is bolted directly to the car.

It's called a fuel level sending unit, and it goes IN THE TANK.

cha-ching
          Last edited by Dirty Harry; 05-25-2006, 06:38 PM.

Comment

yeppers, what justin posted is the level sending unit, its basically just a plastic floater (black box on left) that floats with the gas level (similar to the thing in your toilet tank). the actual dash gauge is on a delay to compensate for bumps and hills, which obviously will affect the floater level. over small bumps and hills the gas level will go back to even before the gauge had a chance to move, the only time youll see the gauge move on a hill is if its a relatively long hill.

the thingey in the top left corner is the low gas light sending unit. this light working differently after an accident may be related to its mounting pole being bent. in an accident, lots of stuff bends... i had my spare tire just about rip the mounting hole off of the bottom of the trunk from the forward force.

the round cap on the right is the mounting plate, its underneath that silver circle cap thats directly behind the rear seat.

the gas tank isnt hinged or sprung in any way. its strapped directly to the underside of the car.

gloryaccordy: your MPG is horrendously shitty. i get 24+ mpg consistantly with the euroR, and i push it both in the city and on the highway. taking it easy, you should be getting 28, not 18. whens the last time you did a full tune up? hook up that O2, youre running excessively rich. without the o2, the ecu has no idea how well the fuel mixture is doing, so it just dumps as much fuel in as it can to be "safe". dont slack - fix your car!!!
            Last edited by cp[mike]; 05-25-2006, 11:08 AM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
            - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
            - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
            Current cars:
            - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
            - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Wow reading all this depresses me. Mike pretty much nailed it on the head as far as the float goes. But measuring your gas by the gauge is the most inaccurate way. The best is the old fashioned way. Fill up to Full, reset the trip odometer, next time you get gas, write down how many gallons it took to fill up and divide that into the mileage.

The very lowest I've ever had is 24mpg and that was really romping on the car all the time. The best I've had is 28mpg... and thats not all highway.

Comment

28+ for me after tuning Thanks MRX!

Comment

cpmike- yea the problems with my car have finally slowed down enough that I can see the end of the road. The ECU is definitely dumping fuel because I get a solid 19-21mpg under all driving conditions and habits...I'm gonna get it fixed *HOPEFULLY* next week. I'm really debating just picking it up today and getting it over with....

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

My bad on my earlier post... my best was actually 34.28 MPG.

That was 100% freeway from Santa Cruz to San Diego. On the trip back with a lot more weight in the car, I got 32.67 mpg.
                    - Ghosty
                    WTB: MAP sensor (2+bar), IAT sensor, ECU & dizzy harness plugs... PM me!
                    FS: coupe window rain guards, f22a6 intake & ex mani, cams, PT6 ECU, valve cover, dizzy caps, OEM fogs... PM me!

Comment

yeah, I like to keep a car journal of all pertinant and little crap. have recorded every fill up, mileage, etc.

the best mpg I've gotten was 27.75mpg (highway, avg speed probably 85 to 90 so I could've gotten better)

worst was 21.13mpg with recent ignition and distributor probs last month

currently averaging around 24mpg in the city (tho routes I tend to take aren't really stop and go and I tend to go 10 to 20 mph over the limit lol... so it's almost like psuedo highway miles :P )

for a while last year I had decent city mileage around 25 to 26mpg, but 24 is about the norm for me now

Comment

Originally posted by nahmo
                        yeah, I like to keep a car journal of all pertinant and little crap. have recorded every fill up, mileage, etc.

the best mpg I've gotten was 27.75mpg (highway, avg speed probably 85 to 90 so I could've gotten better)

worst was 21.13mpg with recent ignition and distributor probs last month

currently averaging around 24mpg in the city (tho routes I tend to take aren't really stop and go and I tend to go 10 to 20 mph over the limit lol... so it's almost like psuedo highway miles :P )

for a while last year I had decent city mileage around 25 to 26mpg, but 24 is about the norm for me now
                        Oh that would have been sweet for me to have done...I'd read it all the time!!! Maybe I'll start one today.

Comment

Working...
                        X