Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

What oil to put in a 62k mile H22?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What oil to put in a 62k mile H22?

What kind of oil should i buy. Got the motor off ebay has 60-70k for sure. Synthetic or regular oil, What weight? Its pretty hot here in myrtle beach, Sc.
    I got headers, short ram intake system, p28 chipped computer soon. K&n high flow oil filter.

Originally posted by stutla22 View Post
    What kind of oil should i buy. Got the motor off ebay has 60-70k for sure. Synthetic or regular oil, What weight? Its pretty hot here in myrtle beach, Sc.
    I got headers, short ram intake system, p28 chipped computer soon. K&n high flow oil filter.
    You will get a million different people saying a million different things. Do your own research and make your own decision. I would get my info from Bobs the oil guy.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

The info is there so you won't need to ask. Just search for it.

Also, I hope your not planning on just throwing that engine in and calling it good. If so it would be easier to just throw it in a lake. That will keep you from taking it back out in a month when its destroyed beyond use.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Honestly, all you need is whatever is recommended by Honda for the engine. As long as it's a quality brand of the factory recommended weight, it will work just fine.
      Synthetic oil will last longer between changes. I run a synthetic blend in my H22 when I change the oil myself (Pennzoil Platinum, because it always seems to be on sale), or I run Shell full synthetic when I have it changed for me.

Also, you only have one header. Not headers.
      Don't run that P28 ECU until everything is in and running properly. Get a P13 to use when installing the engine. Then someday, you can get that P28 properly tuned for your engine. Don't ever run a generic tune.

And yes, 2winRB25 is absolutely right. You're already buying mods for this engine... have you purchased a new timing belt? New spark plug tube seals? Balance shaft seal? Rear main seal? Fuel filter? These things are FAR more important than the oil you run. You could dump the cheapest convenience store 5w-30 in there and be good enough... but you'll still risk ending up with a paperweight in a week's time when the timing belt snaps, or the rear main seal lets loose and lubes your clutch up with all your engine oil!

Comment

Nah i put permatex around the plug seals and gunked it all over the 5 dollar rear main.

Comment

So you gooped all the old seals? Or replaced them and THEN gooped them?
          Timing belt?

Comment

Originally posted by stutla22 View Post
            Nah i put permatex around the plug seals and gunked it all over the 5 dollar rear main.
            So your being a smart ass to the owner of the website you came to for help. Nice.

I don't know where you came from before coming here but you might want to leave your attitude there because on this site we don't work like that.

Anyways, all seals and belts should be replaced along with the auto tensioner and general maintenance parts. Unless you want a catastrophic failure you will want to use a manual tensioner. KStuned, Bisimoto Engineering, or OEM H23 conversion are the options as far that.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Wow, first person I've found in myrtle beach that is on here. But yeah, like what deevergote said, the best oil is what Honda recommends. Another way to find out is look in a manual for the car that had an H22 in it. It's not the easiest way but another option.

MRT---> http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=200945

Comment

Originally posted by Redseth01 View Post
                Wow, first person I've found in myrtle beach that is on here. But yeah, like what deevergote said, the best oil is what Honda recommends. Another way to find out is look in a manual for the car that had an H22 in it. It's not the easiest way but another option.
                Also any auto parts store can look up the oil requirements for a 92+ prelude and give you an answer for OEM recommended oil type and capacity requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  (Pennzoil Platinum, because it always seems to be on sale)
                  Insider auto store employee advice:

The same brands of oil always seem to be on sale, because they set them up to match with the standard oil change schedule.
                  Change your oil every 3 months? Lets make the same oil on sale every 3 months.

OT I know, just wanted to throw it out there.
                  MRT
                  37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                  30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                  27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                  Originally posted by Tippey764
                  I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                  Originally posted by deevergote
                  sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post
                    Insider auto store employee advice:

The same brands of oil always seem to be on sale, because they set them up to match with the standard oil change schedule.
                    Change your oil every 3 months? Lets make the same oil on sale every 3 months.

OT I know, just wanted to throw it out there.
                    Actually, AutoZone always has oil on sale, they just rotate the brand that is on sale based on what oil company is paying more for the sale and also paying the advertisement for the sale. I work for AutoZone currently and that is what I was told, currently they have Castrol GTX on sale and with the purchase of a 5qt jug you get a free (up to $6) oil filter. No I'm not trying to plug for them.

Comment

I don't keep a regular oil change interval, though. I put 1500 miles a week on my cars!

Comment

Working...
                      X