Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

question about over revving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question about over revving

So I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not but I have a moderately built h22 swap and I let my buddy drive it and he went to shift into fourth but went into second and now car won't. Run seams like has no compresion please help this is my daily

Sounds like you may have bent valves. If it was me I would pull the valve cover and have a friend crank it over while watching the valves to see if some dont move. For me that would be the easiest cheapest way to check although I'm sure a more knowledgeable member will chime is soon. Or get a compression tester and do a compression test.

Comment

How the heck does someone miss shift from 3rd to 4th and get into 2nd? 4th is litterally straight down? Anyhow, that's beyond the point. What you'll need to do is check to make sure that you didn't blow your pistons and valves. If it doesn't start and sounds like there's no compression, do a compression test. There's a thousand reasons as to why it won't start. Is it trying to crank over?

Comment

I've done exactly that while racing an SRT-4. In fact, I know half a dozen people that have. In my case, it was due to having a short shifter installed. Shifting was very notchy, and 3-4 felt little different from 3-2. I've also known some very enthusiastic shifters in the past that could slam a wrong gear without realizing it.

I was very lucky. I'm sure my engine revved to 10k RPM at least, but it suffered no damage. Every one of my friends (some are staff members here) that have done it have bent valves and scored pistons.

Do a compression test, as koslauj suggested. If you bent valves, that will tell you. If you bent valves, you'll have to take the head off and replace them. You may have scored pistons as well, which would also warrant replacement (damage to a piston's surface can result in detonation due to those scored areas heating up and igniting the air/fuel mixture at the wrong time... major damage can result from this.)

Now is your chance to turn your moderately built H22 into a fully built H22! Perhaps your buddy will be responsible and help pay for it. You can retain your FRM sleeves (saving $1000+) by using Mahle Gold Series pistons, as long as your sleeves aren't damaged.

Comment

So let me give u a little info on car its a 12.5:1 compression h22a euro spec. Its been resleeved had domed pistons that have valve reliefs and I'm running pretty large cams ( skunk 2 pro series stage 3) and car is normally shifted at 12500 rpms with rev limiter set at 13200 car has full valve terrien upgrade minus valves has stock valves because I was worried about piston to valve contact and yes it has been tuned. Its been running this way for around 2 years only change was end of last summer went for retune and added itbs and been daily driven 150 miles a day 5 days a week with no problems .
          Now for the issue it was cranking and trying to start but def sounded like it was low on compression but it finally fired up with we holding throttle wide open. Wasn't a knock or any valve noise that was loud and apparent but car wouldn't idle on its on and ran cruddy under 1500 rpms. Once it was above that 1500 rpm range it ran fine up to 3500 rpms which is where my two step is and we didn't move car so couldn't get it to rev past that nor did I want to lol. Then we cut it off and tried to start and it then sounded like it had no compression. I also noticed that the cam gears were a tooth of now. Now I didn't check crank marks yet or haven't taken anything apart yet but trying to get input of what I'm looking forward to when I tear down Friday night so I can make sure I have parts lined up but on a very tight budget lol also btw pistons are forged

Comment

Originally posted by myfirstcb7 View Post
            So let me give u a little info on car its a 12.5:1 compression h22a euro spec. Its been resleeved had domed pistons that have valve reliefs and I'm running pretty large cams ( skunk 2 pro series stage 3) and car is normally shifted at 12500 rpms with rev limiter set at 13200 car has full valve terrien upgrade minus valves has stock valves because I was worried about piston to valve contact and yes it has been tuned. Its been running this way for around 2 years only change was end of last summer went for retune and added itbs and been daily driven 150 miles a day 5 days a week with no problems .
            Now for the issue it was cranking and trying to start but def sounded like it was low on compression but it finally fired up with we holding throttle wide open. Wasn't a knock or any valve noise that was loud and apparent but car wouldn't idle on its on and ran cruddy under 1500 rpms. Once it was above that 1500 rpm range it ran fine up to 3500 rpms which is where my two step is and we didn't move car so couldn't get it to rev past that nor did I want to lol. Then we cut it off and tried to start and it then sounded like it had no compression. I also noticed that the cam gears were a tooth of now. Now I didn't check crank marks yet or haven't taken anything apart yet but trying to get input of what I'm looking forward to when I tear down Friday night so I can make sure I have parts lined up but on a very tight budget lol also btw pistons are forged

Lol, thought you were serious man. People are taking time out of their days to give you honest help.

Then you make up these shenanigans about 12.5:1 compression, normally shifting at 12,500 on skunk 2 cams and all this and that about how awesome your build is, then to top it off with a "very tight budget"

Come on guy.

Nobody rev's to 12,500

On a serious note you may have skipped timing, blown a valve or ?? Lots of variables here. Symptoms sound like you are having timing issues.

NOBODY REV'S TO 12,500

Welcome to the tuner world. Please recognize that this is 1 step away from being a full blown ricer.

Please, take a second and think about how you are projecting yourself through your exaggerations. Nobody will take you seriously if you are not being 100% completely honest.

Welcome to the forum.
            Originally posted by wed3k
            im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

does not most our engines red line at 7000-9000 even if all forged your talking motor cycle engines reves either you have a bad tach or your number are a little off.. would love to see a video when she is all done...

Comment

With that amount invested in the bottom end I would have called into work to take off the head. I was able to get a dohc 1.6 running with those same symptoms, only with the throttle open no compression I even drove it around the block. Probly a mistake, when I pulled the head the middle cylinders where connected by a quarter size whole at the head gasket, Probly all I needed before I went all mcgiver on getting it started.
                (I shifted at 8200), could do 10000 with that motor). I haven't heard of 12,500 rpm daily driver h22's. That would sound amazing. When does your v-tec kick in?
                Again, check the head then pull it off. I wouldent turn that starter one more time. Maybe on the way to getting the head off you will find one of the limitless possibilities.
                A spark plug is sitting in the valve cover,
                You distributor cracked a shaft,
                You have a bent valve,
                Your cam gears jumped a tooth ...ect
                Last edited by cb7 calling; 02-13-2013, 08:46 PM.
                ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

now Danny, do you really expect anyone to believe you rev to 12.5? later.
                  Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Hell, even my built rotary wouldnt rev past 10,200 +/-. And it sounded like its about to explode at that point.

I think everyone is trying to help him with an invisible engine. If not the correct information has been given. Pull the head, then go from there.

Comment

"oh, by the way, the engine is heavily modified"...

At this point I'm not sure if you're a troll or an idiot... but I'm convinced you're certainly one or the other, if not both.

Comment

Could this be that guy that you banned and keeps coming back with different accounts?
                        The one who was in the rules thread in beginner technical?
                        MRT
                        37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                        30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                        27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                        Originally posted by Tippey764
                        I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                        Originally posted by deevergote
                        sneaky motherfucker

Comment

No, I think this guy is unique. That's too much effort for that last guy.

Comment

Originally posted by toycar View Post

Come on guy.

Nobody rev's to 12,500

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            No, I think this guy is unique. That's too much effort for that last guy.
                            I'm pretty sure I know that guy, I just can't remember his name. Oh well.

Edit: Now pretty sure I know who it is.
                            Last edited by GeoffM; 02-14-2013, 09:21 AM.
                            MRT
                            37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                            30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                            27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                            Originally posted by Tippey764
                            I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                            Originally posted by deevergote
                            sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Its a shame too because good info and peoples time was given.

Comment

Working...
                              X