Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Car acted like it was out of gas but it wasn't?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car acted like it was out of gas but it wasn't?

My '92 wagon (has 156K on it) gave me quite the scare yesterday as I was 1,000 miles away from home and it decided to die on me. The fuel gauge was reading below half, but the car died and would not restart. We checked spark first, and it had spark. Then we started checking into the fuel system. Before I left home, I had the fuel filter and main relay replaced. We checked to see if the fuel pump had power going to it, and it did. We were about to tear into the fuel pump and replace it, but I suggested we just top off the tank to see what happens and it, volia! it fired up. It took 12.2 gallons (owners manual says wagon tank is 17 gallons) I didn't take any chances on the way back home and was topping off at around 200 miles (7 ish gallons)

Can someone tell me what happened here?

1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan, 205K, DD once again

Originally posted by The_Head View Post
    My '92 wagon (has 156K on it) gave me quite the scare yesterday as I was 1,000 miles away from home and it decided to die on me. The fuel gauge was reading below half, but the car died and would not restart. We checked spark first, and it had spark. Then we started checking into the fuel system. Before I left home, I had the fuel filter and main relay replaced. We checked to see if the fuel pump had power going to it, and it did. We were about to tear into the fuel pump and replace it, but I suggested we just top off the tank to see what happens and it, volia! it fired up. It took 12.2 gallons (owners manual says wagon tank is 17 gallons) I didn't take any chances on the way back home and was topping off at around 200 miles (7 ish gallons)

You have another issue that was solved by time or something cooling down. Even at 4-5 gallons the pickup should be completely convered.
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Originally posted by The_Head View Post

Do Hondas suffer from vapor lock like some of the older cars? Is your cap is working order?
      Originally posted by Mishakol129
      Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post
        You have another issue that was solved by time or something cooling down. Even at 4-5 gallons the pickup should be completely convered.
        Do you think the fuel pump got hot or something?

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
          Do Hondas suffer from vapor lock like some of the older cars? Is your cap is working order?
          Since the fuel pump is submerged inside the tank and capable of pumping more than 40psi, it is not likely to have vapor lock. Also the car was running at the time when the OP had experienced engine shut down. It is hard to think vapor lock is the cause of it.
          A&P-IA

Comment

On my old CB, it said on the gas cap to make sure it clicks 3 times or it could cause the check engine light to come on. I'm not sure if this could have been the cause, just throwing things out there.

Comment

bad gas? (gasoline :P , i've seen it before)

Comment

Well, I won't run it below half a tank again until I know for sure what it was. I was pretty scared being 1,000 miles away from home and all.

The gas cap seems fine to me and I click it a few times after refueling. I have no check engine lights.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post
                  Was thinking about this again. It only did it when I let the tank get this low. This was the only time I let it get that low the whole trip. Maybe it's just a coincidence.

Comment

When my cb ran out of gas, it only took 12 gallons. The light would come on when the needle was a little over 1/4 tank and I would have another 20'ish miles left. Car never took more than 12 gallons. I never worried about it. Once the light came on, I knew it was gas time.
                    98' Mustang 3V Swap
                    11' VW CC R36

Comment

Originally posted by Gotz Cb7 View Post
                      When my cb ran out of gas, it only took 12 gallons. The light would come on when the needle was a little over 1/4 tank and I would have another 20'ish miles left. Car never took more than 12 gallons. I never worried about it. Once the light came on, I knew it was gas time.
                      I could see it being ran out of gas.... My car is a 94 but it also says it has a 17 gallon tank. I put gas in it when it gets below 1/4 tank and it only will take 10 gallons.

Another thing i noticed about my gauge, if I'm on the highway for a long trip and it starts to get below 1/4 tank i need to get gas... when i stop to get gas the gauge drops quite a bit and stays low, wether thats from sloshing or not IDK but its not the most comforting thing to see when you're several hours from home.
                      '94 CD5 EX F22B1 Automatic

Comment

I was wondering about that too. Maybe the manual has a misprint? I kind of doubt it though. A 12 gallon tank would be kind of small for a wagon.

The needle only got down to 45% though and the light never came on. Does the float or sender on these cars have a reputation of going wacky?

Comment

you just could be suffering from a case of vapor lock. The last time you got gas it was probably still winter blend of gas.Winter blend gas has more ethanol(alcohol) in it than summer blends do. And Since we have been having freakishly hot weather, the ethanol could be vaporizing .I think we are now running summer blend gas because its spring already so it should be much of an issue.
                          just a theory though!

Comment

I have an acquaintance who has been a Honda tech for over ten years and he says the newer models have fuel pumps that have a casing around them that holds fuel. This keeps the fuel pump cool. He says the fuel pump in mine hangs "in the air" a bit and might have over heated when the fuel level went below the level of the pump.

Comment

Our car's fuel pump has fuel running through inside as well as fuel sloshing around while driving. It is hard to think the pump would overheat because it is "hanging in the air".

If this is the case, all other Accords with this type fuel pump set up will have the same issue. Stopping on the side of roads with half the tank of fuel. Honda would have issued Service Bulletins to warn Honda Techs and owners of this problem.

If it is indeed the pump might have been overheated, it would have to be isolated to your pump. This will calls for replacement of your pump.
                              A&P-IA

Comment

Working...
                              X