Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

What should pistons look like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should pistons look like?

I remember doing my plugs and plug seals last spring. I peered down the holes and the pistons looked like they were rusted. Is that normal?
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

They should look black/metallic black.

wat?

Comment

fuck those are big.
      wat?

Comment

Pistons are aluminum... they don't rust.

They're also insanely light. Shocked me the first time I picked one up.

Comment

H22 and F22 are small compared to many others I've seen. Motorcycle and dirt bike pistons are even smaller, depending on motor size.

They should look like carbon caked and covered saucers with possible burnt metal blemishes (hot spots) depending on the condition of the engine.

EDIT: Just type in used pistons in Google search, and look at the images.
          Last edited by Straight Success; 01-17-2012, 10:11 PM.
          The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

The attached images seem about right. I could only see through the spark plug hole and had limited light.

I don't think all pistons are aluminum. I picked up one today and it seemed about the correct weight for steel.
            MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

http://www.hoon.tk/tech_tips/pistons.html

If you ever hear someway say they have forged pistons, it usually refers to forged aluminum.
              Last edited by Straight Success; 01-17-2012, 10:20 PM.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

The top pic of the BHB piston looks like a screw dropped into the intake and went for a bounce around the combustion chamber for a little bit.

To be honest. There has to be over 100 build threads around with members showing their engine with the head off during the tear down.

New on the left old on the right, you can see a bit of wear on the skirt, aka side load.

Here is what most good running 200k+, 8.8:1 compression piston tops would look like. There is an area of light brown around the edges, same as the carbon on the insulator of a spark plug.

This is what they should look like
                Last edited by GhostAccord; 01-17-2012, 10:27 PM.
                MR Thread
                GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
                  The top pic of the BHB piston looks like a screw dropped into the intake and went for a bounce around the combustion chamber for a little bit.

To be honest. There has to be over 100 build threads around with members showing their engine with the head off during the tear down.

New on the left old on the right, you can see a bit of wear on the skirt, aka side load.

Here is what most good running 200k+, 8.8:1 compression piston tops would look like. There is an area of light brown around the edges, same as the carbon on the insulator of a spark plug.

This is what they should look like
                  I noticed the scratches. I just ignored them.

I have no way of telling what the sides look like. When I did my oil pan gasket the underside of my engine looked orange/greenish.

The pic of the pistons in the head looks about right. The one on the right looks like it has more carbon than the rest though. Would fuel injector cleaner help restore them?

And I'm pretty sure that your number 3 pic changes as soon as they start firing
                  MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post
                    ... the one on the right looks like it has more carbon than the rest though. Would fuel injector cleaner help restore them? ...
                    I think the piston on the right has more build up due to uneven detonation of air/fuel in each cylinder (very minimal though). Over the course of x amount of years or miles, every cylinder has experienced very slightly different conditions than the next cylinder. Over time, the cylinder on the right is the result.

I'm honesty not sure. I know it usually destroys deposits in the fuel systems, injectors, and EGR system. I'm not sure if it would aid with cleaning of the tops of the pistons. I'm sure some will post it though.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post
                      And I'm pretty sure that your number 3 pic changes as soon as they start firing
                      Nah...... That's why I polished them and the combustion chambers. To reduce heat and carbon build up. It should take a wile for them to show any signs. They will never look like those stock pistons.
                      MR Thread
                      GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                      X