Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

f22 A/T fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

f22 A/T fluid

I have an f22a6 with an A/T. ( I know, it sucks)

I was wondering what happens when transmission fluid becomes "burnt"?

It wouldnt lubricate as well obviously.

Also, can someone brief me on the difference from some cheap ass dex merc3 (advance auto brand or somethin) to the more expensive transmission fluids such as, "Castrol Import fluid" or "Royal Purple"?

goin from like 11$/gallon for the AAP stuffs, to 5$ or so a quart for Castrol Import, or 15-20$ a qt for Royal Purple...These are not exact prices but estimates..

Being there is such a difference in price, I was wondering if it would be worth using the expensive fluid on a stock f22a6?

Is there a difference in performance or is it just mostly lubrication and longevity?

well as for the burnt part, its like burnt oil, the longer in there, the more worn out the trans will get. as for the oils, the castrol one is pretty good, but nothing special, but royal purple gives you smoother shifts, and more longetivity. if you dont wanna go to expensive, i think oreily sells dexron 4 synthetic for like 6 or 7 a quart. i use it on mine and i like it. the shifts are a bit smoother, and its not as expensive as royal purple. i think royal purple is good, but not worth it for our cars at least.

Comment

im having alittle trans problems as well so let me kno what you use and what the results are plz!

Comment

whats your problem cb7freak?

Comment

Honda ATF is your safest bet. I wouldn't (and didn't) put anything in an auto trans except for Honda ATF.

1999 BMW M3
          2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
          2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
          2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Honda automatic transmissions are very picky... anything other than Honda fluid seems to result in damage over time. The only time I would use any fancy synthetic is if I had a built auto putting down a lot of power.

Comment

alright thanks

i have some castrol import (nissan toyota and HONDA) from advance ...i have had it a while but i was thinking of runnin cheap AAP fluid in it and draining it to try to get some of the junk out of it..

or should i just drain my dirty ass fluid and pput the castrol import fluid in it??

or is it THAT critical i use honda fluid? being its burnt as it is...i will probably be changing it again soon ...

as i read on athread about "flushing" is bad

that it is better to drain...replace...run...drain replace run it...with magnets on your drain bolt

sorry i got thi sfrom another thread and i dont have time to link it ..

in class

later

Comment

GM Syncromesh is very good too
                2013 Ice Cream Cruise!
                VIDEO: 2012 Ice Cream Cruise
                VIDEO: 2012 Ice Cream Cruise part 2
                The single largest cruise in the Midwest!
                August 3 ~ Omaha, NE

By 1320 Video

Member's Ride Thread

Comment

that castrol stuff is good to use. ive used it before, just not as smooth as synthetics or honda's stuff. and flushing is bad

Comment

I wouldn't use anything other than Honda ATF. Honda transmissions are very picky. If you have to you can use dextron 4 but i wouldn't keep it in there very long

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Comment

Originally posted by lilg4mdalbc View Post
                      that castrol stuff is good to use. ive used it before, just not as smooth as synthetics or honda's stuff. and flushing is bad
                      FLUSHING is

what i said is not so bad...

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...smission+flush

namely 19dabeast85's post, and deevergote agreeing

as it is ...the trans fluid is probably fkn original and i figure anything is better than nothing

so i guess i will run the cheap gallon of crap for a few miles with magnets on my drain bolt, and replace with castrol import trans fluid

if the current fluid wasnt so GD dirty i would splurge for higher end to start with

just cant see payin 5$ a quart to turn around and do it again

no telling what kind of fluid is in it, although its old enough to be original

edit: if i should leave the dirty fluid in it til i can afford honda ATF, please...speak up

dirty/burnt AAP, run it, drain it, replace with castrol? just replace with castrol?

wait til i get honda ATF and leave the dirty in it til then?

we all know it will mix with all the other dirty fluid...

i dont know, i am asking
                      Last edited by kronikally420; 04-28-2011, 01:02 AM.

Comment

im glad you found your solution

Comment

i worry too much anyway

thanks

Comment

I would try this, and make sure you end up with Honda ATF only!

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=169463
                            MRT
                            37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                            30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                            27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                            Originally posted by Tippey764
                            I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                            Originally posted by deevergote
                            sneaky motherfucker

Comment

you're only suppose to use honda atf for hondas. if it were a rear wheel drive it's okay. but if you read the back of the other brands it says not recommended for cvt (constant velocity transmission) which means front wheel drive trans. when you say burnt you mean burnt as in darker? when atf fluid gets old starts losing it's properties it should be turning into a lighter pinkish color. but if it gets darker it's not a good sign. I would put also put one of those additives that help the tranny shift better that are safe for honda cvts. it smoothens out the shifting jerking feeling alot of hondas give.

Comment

Working...
                              X