Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

suspension question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

suspension question

I have a '93 Accord with about 290,000 miles on it, 5-spd. Been an awesome car.

About 75,000 miles ago I got a new suspension for it. Bought Bilstein shocks and some standard TRW springs from Advanced Auto Parts. Had a local shop put it all on.

When I got the car back there was a huge amount of wheel gap and I noticed the car started getting a solid 6-7MPG less than it used to. I used to be able to go almost 500 miles on a tank and afterwards it was more like 400. Significant drop.

That was 2 years ago. The car has been solid since then. The new suspension rides just fine; the wheel gap has settled some but is still noticeable; and it's been getting a consistent 29MPG instead of the almost 36 it used to.

A couple of years ago I bought an Eibach Pro-kit spring set. I was going to replace the TRW springs with them to see if my mileage would improve back to what it was prior to the new suspension, but I chickened out. I need a reliable car more than anything, as I commute roughly 125 miles per day to and from work.

Now I am seriously considering having these springs put on to see if my mileage comes back. I miss the car that got 36MPG on the stock suspension. My first and foremost priority is to have a car that is reliable and bulletproof. But I wish I could have my mileage back. I don't care about looks and I'd like to keep my costs to a minimum.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Would my Bilsteins hold up with the lower springs? Would I need to get a camber adjustment kit to make it reliable? Would it work at all? Should I just buy another brand of 'stock' springs and have those installed? Any feedback would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Bilsteins are fantastic shocks... so they're good to keep as long as they aren't blown. They're some of the very best you can buy for our cars.

If you install those Eibach springs, you might want to look into a camber kit, yes. Either way, you will definitely need an alignment after installation. If you don't get a camber kit, keep an eye on the inside of your tires, to be sure they're not wearing beyond safe limits. When the inside is bald, the tire is bald... no matter how much tread is on the rest of it.

The springs and shocks really shouldn't have affected gas mileage at all. Did you happen to add larger wheels, or sticky performance tires at the same time? That would have much more impact.
    How's your tire wear? Did you have your wheels aligned after the new springs and shocks were put on? Having a bad alignment would essentially be dragging your tires along, causing resistance, and is likely to reduce mpg... I would think that if you had a shop install your suspension that they included an alignment in the process.

I would check into the DIY threads involving suspension installation on this site. It's actually very easy to do yourself. It was the first thing I learned how to do!

Comment

Hey, welcome to cb7tuner!
      first of all, ive never knew that lowering would decrease your gas mileage, therefore i cannot help you with that. I can tell you however that you will get about Front 1.2in and Rear 1.2in drop. This will give you a slight camber, and since you are all about "cost to minimum" you would have to get a camber kit (you dont want to change your tires every 2 months eh?).

Note:
      You're getting 400 on a tank because the gas price went up and not because of new springs haha.

Comment

How would the price of gas affect his miles per gallon? If anything, I'd say mpg would go UP with expensive gas... because most people won't drive with a heavy foot when they're paying out the nose for fuel!

Comment

Are you noticing the change between winter and summer gas? Summer gas I can easily get 400 to a tank. At the peak of winter I'll see a steady decline.
          400 - 360 - 360 - 340 - run out at 340 - 300. Haven't dropped below 300. I use my phone to track my mileage. With this warmer weather I've seen a 1.5 mpg increase!
          MRT
          37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
          30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
          27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
          Originally posted by Tippey764
          I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
          Originally posted by deevergote
          sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Cold air has more oxygen than warm air, which would technically explain the use of more gas in cold weather. The ECU sees more oxygen, and sends more fuel to compensate. This is really just a theory, and I have no hard evidence to back that up as far as the ECU programming goes (the air density thing is a fact, though.)

However, unless this guy drives like me (80,000 miles a year) this decrease in MPG has spanned multiple seasons... so that's not likely the problem.

Honestly, the MPG issue is very likely NOT related to the suspension at all, other than a possible wheel alignment issue.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              Cold air has more oxygen than warm air, which would technically explain the use of more gas in cold weather. The ECU sees more oxygen, and sends more fuel to compensate. This is really just a theory, and I have no hard evidence to back that up as far as the ECU programming goes (the air density thing is a fact, though.)

However, unless this guy drives like me (80,000 miles a year) this decrease in MPG has spanned multiple seasons... so that's not likely the problem.

Honestly, the MPG issue is very likely NOT related to the suspension at all, other than a possible wheel alignment issue.
              There is a switch over (at least in MI) from winter gas to summer gas, and air temp has an effect as well.
              Also:
              That was 2 years ago. The car has been solid since then. The new suspension rides just fine; the wheel gap has settled some but is still noticeable; and it's been getting a consistent 29MPG instead of the almost 36 it used to.
              MRT
              37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
              30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
              27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
              Originally posted by Tippey764
              I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
              Originally posted by deevergote
              sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Really? Wow, we've never had that down here. I guess in areas that get hit with colder winters, it's common. Our gas is the same year-round, unless I'm really that oblivious!
                It seems that the OP is in roughly the same type of area, so summer/winter gas may be a reality for him as well.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. The original suspension on this car lasted about 200K miles. Then I had the Bilsteins put on and a set of standard TRW springs. At that time (2 yrs. ago) the car was RAISED several inches. Car rides HIGHER than it was before. The wheel gap was (and still is) VERY NOTICEABLE. The car became less aerodynamic; hence the drop in fuel economy.

Been driving it that way ever since. Handles fine; rides fine. Wheel gap is still very noticeable but has 'settled down' some. Still have the Eibach springs; want to know if I can just have the TRW springs removed, install them, and will I still have a reliable car? Pretty sure the mileage will return, since I will be going from what seems to be well above the stock ride height (something funky with those springs I got) to an inch or so below. Just wanna get some idea of whether I'd be opening another can 'o worms by lowering it some using springs I had already bought a couple years ago or if I should get another brand of 'stock' springs. All I want is reliability and I want to get there as inexpensively as possible and IF possible I want my mileage back.

Thanks again guys.

Comment

did the car get an alignment after the trw springs were put in

if your logic about the car being raised lowering your gas mileage is correct then that would mean that everyone who has lowered there car would get a significant raise in gas mileage, which i have never encountered
                    Last edited by quaidum; 03-14-2011, 12:01 PM.
                    ''COUPE''

''WAGON''

Comment

Originally posted by quaidum View Post
                      did the car get an alignment after the trw springs were put in

if your logic about the car being raised lowering your gas mileage is correct then that would mean that everyone who has lowered there car would get a significant raise in gas mileage, which i have never encountered

The drag coefficient of the car was raised due to the raising of the suspension by several inches. I have seen it happen to other CB7's as well. I think some of the 'standard' aftermarket springs for this car significantly raise the vehicle. I have also seen some that don't.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinswwi View Post
                        The drag coefficient of the car was raised due to the raising of the suspension by several inches. I have seen it happen to other CB7's as well. I think some of the 'standard' aftermarket springs for this car significantly raise the vehicle. I have also seen some that don't.
                        so with lowering the car you would see a raise in mpg's correct, but i have never witnessed this

not saying it isn't possible but i think more people would be like "hey i lowered my car now i get 5 mpg's more"
                        ''COUPE''

''WAGON''

Comment

I agree with most reply above... but I believe your MPG loss might have something to do with your tires and wheel balancing.

Check your tires pressure
                          Make sure your wheels/tires are balance
                          All wheel alignments dial in
                          Make sure your wheels are perfectly round.. not dent from pot hole.
                          Make sure tires are perfectly round too, no bulge or uneven wear.

Make sure you do your regular maintenance..
                          oil change
                          sparkplug wire
                          sparkplug and gaping correctly
                          air filter
                          fuel filter
                          valve lash adjustment
                          check timing
                          Checkout my MR: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=165984

Comment

^ +1
                            I don't believe that your mpg would go up if your ride height is raised (although i know where your getting at; you driving against air, slower acceleration etc.) Keep in mind we're talking MAX 1in higher than stock. There is no way you would go from 500 to 400 because of this.

Comment

Working...
                            X