Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Cleaning Intake Manifold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning Intake Manifold

So I recently aquired a filthy h23a1 intake manifold, plenum, TB, and butterfly plate for a good price. I'm wondering how best to clean these. My ideas:
    1) Put parts in some dollar store plastic tub, spray with engine degreaser, and pour hot water in the tub and let it sit. Dump, rinse, hose down - maybe do a few times. Then use carb cleaner and a brush (wire brush?).
    2) Put parts into a plastic basket (something with holes), take to car wash, spray with engine degreaser, let sit, and pressure wash off. Then the carb cleaner and brush.

Any ideas? Or ways that have worked for you when cleaning very dirty carbon buildup and grease.

Also, does Simple Green work for what I'm describing? I'd prefer to dump something less toxic than engine degreaser, though I'm sure engine degreaser would be more effective.

91 EX, body/chassis ~235,000; rebuilt f22a6 crate engine ~65,000 (3/2011)
    Neuspeed Super Cup Kit (7/2010)
    TAS rear drum-to-disc conversion (6/2010)
    Above photo taken - 4/2010

Intake cleaner?
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

Comment

if ur gonna soak it use acidtone...it eats the grease..degreaser only softhins it then u have to wipe it off....but be extreamly care full with the acidtone..get a pair of the rubber dish cleaning gloves..that shit burns really bad!!
      Last edited by 92smokeaccord; 03-03-2011, 02:05 PM.

my new turbo build

Comment

I used a plastic container (wheelbarrow) full of hot water and simple green. Let it sit for a few minutes. I have no patience so I used a nylon scrub brush to make things go a little faster. Make sure to rinse thoroughly and spray your aluminum with an oil/sealer after you dry it off.

What is acidtone, do you mean acetone? It is another good cleaner but not very friendly to the environment and doesn't mix well with water. It's used as a paint/resin thinner or polish remover (nail polish remover).

Oh and it's extremely flammable. If you use it make sure you use it in a well ventilated area and dispose of all your dirty rags ASAP. Don't just throw them in your household trash can.
        Last edited by GhostAccord; 03-03-2011, 02:46 PM.
        MR Thread
        GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

You guys put a bit of work into yours. I degreased it, and pressure washed it.

If its discolored then go to local auto store buy some "alloy silver" paint (its high temp) and it will look like oem, just with more shine.

no paint and dull

painted
          What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

you can always use Mean green or Purple Power Cleaner. Neither are as harsh on the Skin but they both work Pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
              .... Make sure to rinse thoroughly and spray your aluminum with an oil/sealer after you dry it off.....
              Can you tell me more about this?
              Aluminum - doesn't rust? Does this seal it against some other kind of corrosion?
              90 Accord Ex, F22A4. Slight fire damage.

Comment

I used Simple Green, good stuff.

Comment

I used a plastic container (wheelbarrow) full of hot water and simple green. Let it sit for a few minutes. I have no patience so I used a nylon scrub brush to make things go a little faster. Make sure to rinse thoroughly and spray your aluminum with an oil/sealer after you dry it off.

What is acidtone, do you mean acetone? It is another good cleaner but not very friendly to the environment and doesn't mix well with water. It's used as a paint/resin thinner or polish remover (nail polish remover).

Oh and it's extremely flammable. If you use it make sure you use it in a well ventilated area and dispose of all your dirty rags ASAP. Don't just throw them in your household trash can.
                  yes i ment acetone..we used to use it at work to clean the concret floors and peel paint off the machines to re paint them...one time i let my old idol air control valve sit in a bucket of pure acetone for 30min and the thing came out clean as the day i bought new...no scrubing required.

my new turbo build

Comment

Could you tell me why I'd want to spray the aluminum with oil/sealer after I've cleaned it? Are you referring to the intake manifold, plenum, etc.?

91 EX, body/chassis ~235,000; rebuilt f22a6 crate engine ~65,000 (3/2011)
                    Neuspeed Super Cup Kit (7/2010)
                    TAS rear drum-to-disc conversion (6/2010)
                    Above photo taken - 4/2010

Comment

Originally posted by jkrolikowski View Post
                      Could you tell me why I'd want to spray the aluminum with oil/sealer after I've cleaned it? Are you referring to the intake manifold, plenum, etc.?
                      Because aluminum does rust. Just not in the same way or as rapidly as iron.
                      MRT
                      37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                      30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                      27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                      Originally posted by Tippey764
                      I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                      Originally posted by deevergote
                      sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Originally posted by jkrolikowski View Post
                        Aluminum can oxidize (turn white) quite quickly if left unprotected. There is a natural boundary layer that aluminum will have. Once you remove that layer it will start to oxidize.
                        MR Thread
                        GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

itll oxidize after it has been to harsh condtions...but if kept out of moisture, nothing will happen to it and its a very slow process unlike rust
                          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

i usually hot tank them then finish the rest with brake clean. works wonders if you have access to a hot tank

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                              itll oxidize after it has been to harsh condtions...but if kept out of moisture, nothing will happen to it and its a very slow process unlike rust
                              thats why I paint mine =)
                              What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Working...
                              X