Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

TD04 enough boost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TD04 enough boost?

What's good fellas, my buddy recently gave me a TD04 Turbo from a 2006 Subaru WRX for free pretty much, I traded him some jordans for it, so what im wondering is if this turbo is too small for the H22?
    Also what's a good set up for these small turbos?
    What setups have you guys seen with thid turbo?
    Also since its such a small turbo can you run a stock engine with it without having to upgrade engine internals too much?
    Will it even make a difference?
    Overall just want some feed back on the possibilities with this turbo because its in great shape, no shaft play.....
    Thanks fellas also want to apologize for my last thread, I didn't mean to offend anyone or disrespect any one, I hope we can move past that and just be friends.
    Thanks!
    -SNOOZE

Read up in the forced induction section. This turbo will be fine depending on how much power you're trying to make. It's not like an H22 is some massive engine. What is the displacement on an 06 wrx?

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOZE View Post
      What's good fellas, my buddy recently gave me a TD04 Turbo from a 2006 Subaru WRX for free pretty much, I traded him some jordans for it, so what im wondering is if this turbo is too small for the H22?
      Wait wait wait, you traded shoes for a turbo?!? Can I meet your friend?
      MRT
      37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
      30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
      27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
      Originally posted by Tippey764
      I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
      Originally posted by deevergote
      sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Originally posted by F22HB View Post
        Read up in the forced induction section. This turbo will be fine depending on how much power you're trying to make. It's not like an H22 is some massive engine. What is the displacement on an 06 wrx?
        They come in 2.0L and the boxer 2.5

Originally posted by GeoffMisiak View Post
        Wait wait wait, you traded shoes for a turbo?!? Can I meet your friend?
        They were a pair of $300 jordan 4s that's why....super rare
        Last edited by SNOOZE; 12-20-2010, 02:02 AM.

Comment

You should not have a problem with the turbo. Tell your friend i have a pair of workboots if he can find me a turbo as well? lol

Comment

I could be wrong but -

The Subaru TD04L is a 13T turbo - Its smaller than a 14B.
            So it's not really suitable for an F22 or H22.

In Mitsubishi form it came as a 13G on the 4G93T engine which is 1.8L.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
              I could be wrong but -

Correct... Now if it was the VF39 off the STI that may work out well but since it is the smaller turbo then I would say look for a big 16G turbo man.

CB7Tuner Resident Gamer!
              PSN: JDMcb7TX

Comment

So let me get this straight... you got just some random turbo and you had no idea what the specs are...

Why not do some research, set a power goal, and THEN buy the proper parts for your setup?

Sell the turbo, it is far from ideal for an H22

Comment

Originally posted by cuate01221 View Post
                  You should not have a problem with the turbo. Tell your friend i have a pair of workboots if he can find me a turbo as well? lol
                  lol like i ssaid they were a pair of $300 jordan 4 retros

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
                  I could be wrong but - Op

for sure

Originally posted by JDM_CB7_TX View Post
                  Correct... Now if it was the VF39 off the STI that may work out well but since it is the smaller turbo then I would say look for a big 16G turbo man.
                  i got you, i already have a big turbo (garret .60 ) but im looking into my possibilities like adding a smaller turbo to make it more dependable.... I like the big turbo and everything but i just dont want to be blowing engines up every couple months you know, the h22 has enough power on the cb7 with all motor, but i still want to keep my boost, but not so much boost that its gonna cost me a bundle and not so much boost that i cant daily drive with it...

Originally posted by rexload View Post
                  So let me get this straight... you got just some random turbo and you had no idea what the specs are...

Why not do some research, set a power goal, and THEN buy the proper parts for your setup?

Sell the turbo, it is far from ideal for an H22
                  true that, the reason why i got this turbo was because i kinda want to boost on a budget I want to boost my H22 without having to change out the internals and waste a shit load of money buying turbo pistons, ect, kinda like a dependable turbo that isnt gonna cost too much and wont make me go through engines cuz im boosting so much, but is still more powerful than just h22 all motor alone.
                  Last edited by SNOOZE; 12-20-2010, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Ok the boost from a smaller turbo doesnt mean its more reliable when infact they tend to heat way quicker and cause damage to the engine.Yes you get a quicker spool, but you will infact need more boost to make the same power as your current turbo.Bigger turbo usually means less boost and same if not more power.And to boot you might need a custom fabed flange made for the wrx turbo to fit you mani.Just keep what you got it can make more power with less psi than what you traded for.You need to be worried about getting a FMIC set up and a tune.

02 Crv
                    02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                    92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                    Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

so you are already boosted? what's wrong with your current turbo?

Comment

Originally posted by SOHC-FTW View Post
                        Ok the boost from a smaller turbo doesnt mean its more reliable when infact they tend to heat way quicker and cause damage to the engine.Yes you get a quicker spool, but you will infact need more boost to make the same power as your current turbo.Bigger turbo usually means less boost and same if not more power.And to boot you might need a custom fabed flange made for the wrx turbo to fit you mani.Just keep what you got it can make more power with less psi than what you traded for.You need to be worried about getting a FMIC set up and a tune.
                        WORD, im definitely keeping the garret turbo i got, and im definitely looking into some FMIC..... Im either selling this turbo or keeping it for my girlfriends car. She has a hyundai elantra 2.0.....thats another story....lol

Comment

Originally posted by rexload View Post
                          so you are already boosted? what's wrong with your current turbo?
                          there's nothing wrong with it, just the set up is OLDSKOOL! there's no front mount intercooler.... so either way im gonna have to change the set up a bit.... I was just wondering what would happened if i swaped turbos for a smaller one, but that's not happening after the advice im getting...

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOZE View Post
                            there's nothing wrong with it, just the set up is OLDSKOOL! there's no front mount intercooler.... so either way im gonna have to change the set up a bit.... I was just wondering what would happened if i swaped turbos for a smaller one, but that's not happening after the advice im getting...
                            Garret,borg, etc is not really old skool people will continue to use their products because they work well.As for the way your set up is cooling that needs to be addressed and changed.If all the turbo feed lines etc is good to go all your gonna need is the piping and a FMIC set up.You dont need a $50-100 wrx turbo as its not going to yeld more power or correct any issue, but infact make more problems.
                            If you look you can probably find a used intercooler and piping for cheap and you might need to change a few things around, but it will be worth it and then get a tune!
                            Last edited by SOHC-FTW; 12-20-2010, 06:00 PM.

02 Crv
                            02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                            92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                            Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Originally posted by SOHC-FTW View Post
                              Garret,borg, etc is not really old skool people will continue to use their products because they work well.As for the way your set up is cooling that needs to be addressed and changed.If all the turbo feed lines etc is good to go all your gonna need is the piping and a FMIC set up.You dont need a $50-100 wrx turbo as its not going to yeld more power or correct any issue, but infact make more problems.
                              If you look you can probably find a used intercooler and piping for cheap and you might need to change a few things around, but it will be worth it and then get a tune!
                              Fo sho man thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X