Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Rear Brake pad wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Brake pad wear

I was in the process on disassembling my hub (decided not to), and when I took off my fairly new brake pads, I found this! It looks like uneven wear but I don't know what to make of it. Any ideas? This is right rear which is a new caliper.

Looking at it now, there is some crud from the garage floor on it. I'm talking about the area next to my pointing and middle finger.
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

so the wear on it looks like a few things. The ring on the outermost part of it is consistant with not resurfacing the rotor when putting the new pads on. The rotors edge dug into the pad causing that.

I cant tell if its uneven or not by the color of the whole pad, but if it is the unevenness it can be either you didnt break in the pads and you just started slamming on them and didnt drive normally, the lift from the edge of the rotor interfered with it, or your caliper guide pins wernt greased making one side stick.
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Connecting the dots

Look at the big picture, remember my response in your other thread (see below)? This is more evidence that supports the idea that your parking brake was not properly reset after the pads were changed.

Originally posted by James Matteu View Post
      Helms states the parking lever must be pulled several times to set the mechanism, this is after the piston has been backed into the caliper for pad replacement. I suppose it is possible that the caliper has never been properly reset, though it does look strange for only one side to have suffered this misengagement. Perhaps the issue lies within the caliper itself, in which case replacement or rebuild are the two options. The rebuild is simple enough and parts are cheap, but there is the chance you could mess up the caliper by reassembling it incorrectly.

Should it come to that, you will need the Helms manual in order to rebuild the rear brake caliper, no exception.
      The wear on this pad shows that whoever installed the pad failed to reset the piston on the rear caliper. Having significant play, the pad was able to fall from its groove on the caliper bracket; I would even be curious whether or not you still have both retainers. Once out of the groove and sitting at an angle, the pad was unable to contact the rotor evenly and the uneven wear you see occurred through normal use.

Solution: buy new pads and have your rotors turned, replace the rotors if the thickness is out-of-spec. Reinstall correctly this time: screw the caliper piston in, install the new pads and caliper, and then reset the mechanism as I described before. If you're unable to reset the caliper due to some internal issue with the mechanism itself, defer to my response in your other thread about the parking brake.

Given the condition of the rear set, I would be concerned with the front brakes and what condition they are in, i.e. were they installed properly and if so are the calipers functioning as they should?
      Last edited by James Matteu; 12-12-2010, 04:51 PM.
      1997 Honda Accord EX-V6:
      C27A4 - 2.7-liter 90º-V6 with SOHC, 24-valves, PGM-Fi
      MPZA - Electronically controlled 4-speed automatic, 1 reverse
      ~170 cu. in. / ~170 ft. lbs. / ~170 whp

Originally posted by James Matteu
      You have to consider the results of your test in an objective manner, or as the country folk like to say, "son, you gotta be smarter than what you're workin' with."

Comment

Originally posted by James Matteu View Post
        Look at the big picture, remember my response in your other thread (see below)? This is more evidence that supports the idea that your parking brake was not properly reset after the pads were changed.

The wear on this pad shows that whoever installed the pad failed to reset the piston on the rear caliper. Having significant play, the pad was able to fall from its groove on the caliper bracket; I would even be curious whether or not you still have both retainers. Once out of the groove and sitting at an angle, the pad was unable to contact the rotor evenly and the uneven wear you see occurred through normal use.

Solution: buy new pads and have your rotors turned, replace the rotors if the thickness is out-of-spec. Reinstall correctly this time: screw the caliper piston in, install the new pads and caliper, and then reset the mechanism as I described before. If you're unable to reset the caliper due to some internal issue with the mechanism itself, defer to my response in your other thread about the parking brake.

Given the condition of the rear set, I would be concerned with the front brakes and what condition they are in, i.e. were they installed properly and if so are the calipers functioning as they should?
        I installed front and rear pads.
        Apparently I didn't install them correctly. At the time I thought it was as simple as replacing the pads, So that's what I did. The right rear: I was trying to screw the piston back in, but accidentally way over extended it. This pad is from that caliper.
        I do appreciate you connecting the dots. It helps a lot to have members like you.
        MRT
        37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
        30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
        27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
        Originally posted by Tippey764
        I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
        Originally posted by deevergote
        sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Working...
        X