Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Interference vs non-interference engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few teeth broken is different.from a.broken belt.
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Not to bring this thread back from the dead, but the internet is FULL of bad answers to this question, and it seems those that dont know shit are the most confident about what they know.

My crank pulley bolt let go at some point in the last 24 hours (H22A1), and the KEY for the crank slid off the end of the crank while I was driving home from work, it was barely hanging on the end of the pulley. The car just flat ass died, no RPMS, no jolt, no bang, while cruising at roughly 2000 RPM in 5th. I had a friend help take it back to our shop, pulled the valve cover, and it had all symptoms of a bad timing belt, fast cranking, cams not turning while cranking, so upon further inspection, I noticed the KEY and BOLT missing from the pulley. After about an hour of lining things back up and puting the Key back in, the car starts and runs fine.

Turns out, if you do google searches on this outside the Forum, people have "evidence" for both cases,granted, I havent driven the car due to the fact that I have to somehow come up with a new bolt, but, I started it, let it idle, and revved it a few times, its smooth and quiet as normal. Seems those that KNOW FOR A FACT that its an interference motor, tend to know someone who knows someone who knew a guy that it happened to, or it broke when they had their foot into it hard, and those like me, that had it drop off at LOW RPM, well we are ALL just lucky i guess, every last one of us, we should all buy lottery tickets it seems. I dont think luck has anything to do with it, I honestly think these motors just dont have contact on the primary cam lobes with stock pistons and cams, there isnt really any other explanation. Mine was IN GEAR, DRIVING, and the belt essentially froze the valve timing in place while the motor kept on spinning, I then used the cam gears to roll the valve timing to match the crank so i could put the key back in, at no point did the pistons contact the valves while rolling the motor by hand, and now it runs fine.

Granted the true test will be if I still have my 225's across the compression test, but I have a gut feeling, I do.

*As of this afternoon, new key, new pulley bolt, car is back to normal. Just for the record, with the valves all the way open, intake OR exhaust, the piston makes NO CONTACT. I rolled the motor 3 times with either valve open, just to check. So unless the cam or pistons are different from an H22A1 to any other H block, excluding the type S pistons or cams, that's the deal, no interference. No bullshit, no arguing. If you've bent valves with a broken belt it was either due to excessive carbon buildup on your pistons, a bad adjustment on your valve lash, valve to valve contact, or you were on the secondary lobe when it busted.
      Last edited by Jarnutt; 09-20-2011, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X